PDA

View Full Version : Dual or Multi boot (Vista, Xp, Leopard) - need some tips

eemerge
05-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Hello everyone,

I want to install Leopard on my machine, which already has : Vista and Xp (default booting is Vista, i choose from there what to boot, vista or xp). My wishes would be to install Leopard on the same hard drive with vista (xp has another 80 GB hdd), but i have a 3rd hdd that i could use (make a new partition on it since i have some data on it).

I would really like not to screw up my mbr or something and have to reinstall vista and xp, so im asking for some advices on how to install Leopard and have the multi boot (preferrably the same , VIsta boot loader, i dont mind to have to choose everytime i boot).

My machine specs:

amd x2 3800+
2 G ram
eVGA 8800 GTS
WD 250GB sata (has vista on it)
WD 500 GB sata
WD 80 GB (ide) - has xp on it
Motherboard: Gigabyte-M57SLI-S4

I`d also like if you guys could recommend a leopard distribution ( i have at home Zephyroth 10.5.2 and rev2 i think, also Leo4All , and Kalyway_intel_amd ). Btw, i succesfully installed Kalyway on another machine , but core2duo (since its not my machine, i cannot keep it so i must install it on my AMD machine).

DoiX
05-16-2008, 09:02 PM
http://www.infinitemac.com/dualtriple-booting-mac-os-x/

eemerge
05-16-2008, 09:12 PM
DoiX:http://www.infinitemac.com/dualtriple-booting-mac-os-x/#more-136
thanks..but from what i've seen those tips are for installing macos and the other systems...i already have windows (xp and vista) :)

what if i install separately on another clean HDD, with my other hdds disabled..and after install i add the others hdds?

WinLinMac01
05-16-2008, 09:59 PM
Actually, those tips are also intended for Vista & XP. All you have to if you are planning to dual boot XP/Vista and Mac OS X is install Mac OS X first, and install Vista second, and follow steps 18-21 in that guide to get things working.
You can also first install XP/Vista, then Mac OS X, as another option and follow the same steps (if Windows NTFS "does not show up as an option in Darwin's bootloader" after installing Mac OS X).

When you boot into the Windows NTFS partition after going into Darwin, Windows bootloader will show up then, since you have XP and Vista installed (as you initially stated in your first post). You will have options there to boot into your desired Windows O/S. All should be fine.

The guide is intended for users interested in both dual, triple, quad, etc booting. =) Its only the matter in how you apply it from your perspective. =)

--Enjoy

eemerge
05-16-2008, 11:41 PM
My mistake i guess for saying "other systems ", all i ment was that i already have vista and xp installed and i dont want to reinstal them. But i see your answer WinLinMac01 covered it all so thanks :) i am going to try to install Leopard on a new clean HDD with my other hdds disabled so i wont screw anything :D and then i'll try to add macos to Vista boot loader.

WinLinMac01
05-17-2008, 03:58 AM
Let me know how it goes. My email is at my profile, so email me if you have any further questions/concerns you would like to address. =)