PDA

View Full Version : [How to] Make Zephs AMD Software Update run via the Apple Menu

Voyn1x
06-04-2008, 01:00 AM
Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/

Find Software Update in the list. Backup the application to an external drive and eject the drive - I only did this because I wasn't sure how to break the symbolic link (a restart may work though I didn't try).

Replace with Zeph's Software Update.

Click Software Update in the Apple menu!! :)

zephyroth
06-04-2008, 01:05 AM
:-)
... damn someone has found ...

maclinux
06-04-2008, 01:15 AM
Cool! ;)

DoiX
06-04-2008, 01:16 AM
good job figuring it out :)

bhast2
06-04-2008, 01:28 AM
awesome find

naquaada
06-04-2008, 01:56 AM
:-P Never been in that folder, huh?

I'm using zeph's updater still as standalone program, I don't remove original Apple software.

zephyroth
06-04-2008, 02:03 AM
@ naquaada.

If you talk to me, you have to know that i've modified the Info.plist so that original Software Update can be replaced by mine. That's why the name and the interface have changed ! :-)

I wanted to replace it in my next release ... ah one surprise which is not a surprise anymore.

naquaada
06-04-2008, 02:16 AM
no, I ment this to overall ;-)

OK, maybe some people are glad if an installation works and are not mashing up the things what's behind the home folder so often. But folders inside System/Library are needed so often for patching that the CoreServices folder is known. To add a thread in the Genius Bar for this is a maybe bit too much I think.

Zeph, think over to exchange it with the original software update, even if this can be installed as an option. Original Apple programs should always be kept. It's no problem to start if from the AMD Utilities folder or maybe someone programs a preferences pane for it, this would be great.

zephyroth
06-04-2008, 02:23 AM
The original Software Update is unusable on AMD ...

naquaada
06-04-2008, 02:38 AM
I know, but I still keep all original Apple software. By the way, if the Software Update is updated (hehe, to update an updater is a funny thing) your updater will be deleted.

Another method would be to patch the Finder, that it uses f.e. 'AMD Software Update' instead of 'Software Update'. The original Software Update can be started from the prefernces pane. But there's the same problem, if the Finder will be updated, the patch is gone again.

Voyn1x
06-04-2008, 02:55 AM
zephyroth:@ naquaada.

If you talk to me, you have to know that i've modified the Info.plist so that original Software Update can be replaced by mine. That's why the name and the interface have changed ! :-)

I wanted to replace it in my next release ... ah one surprise which is not a surprise anymore.

Oops sorry Zeph, didn't mean to steal your thunder... :)

@ Naquadda, i agree Apple programs should be left alone normally, but in this case (as Zephyroth has mentioned) the current Software Update is a bit useless to us AMD owners. If anything does go wrong because of replacing this, you can just copy the backup back to it's original location.

Voyn1x
06-04-2008, 03:05 AM
naquaada:I know, but I still keep all original Apple software. By the way, if the Software Update is updated (hehe, to update an updater is a funny thing) your updater will be deleted.

Zeph could get his AMD Software Update to check for 'Software Update' updates and remove them, like it does already for the mach_kernel and system.kext. I would of thought that should be possible...

zephyroth
06-04-2008, 03:11 AM
That's exactly what I plan to do.

R0GUE
06-04-2008, 03:18 AM
Zeph, replacing SWU with ASU turns off the ability to perform automatic/scheduled update checks. Can this be resolved?

http://www.grabup.com/uploads/113cf17b23831ac0749f74c14fa7813b.png

zephyroth
06-04-2008, 03:29 AM
I need to check this.

naquaada
06-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Where (dir/file) are the Updates listed which are shown in the 'Installed Updates' list in the prefernces pane?

Jojo
06-10-2008, 02:05 PM
Is there a solution to perform automatic/scheduled update checks?

R0GUE
06-18-2008, 04:58 PM
I just wanted to add that users can replace the default system icon by placing the attached file into:

/System/Library/PreferencePanes/SoftwareUpdate.prefPane/Contents/Resources

http://rogue.infinitemac.com/swusyspref.png

SoftwareUpdate.icns.zip (http://rogue.infinitemac.com/SoftwareUpdate.icns.zip)

Voyn1x
06-19-2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the tip bud, It's all about the fine details... :)

(I was interested to see what your other preference panes were for, that GrabUp is really cool!)

R0GUE
06-19-2008, 07:41 PM
I wouldn't be without GrabUp :-)

kwood129
10-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Hi everyone. I hate to sound stupid here however I have been trying to use the ASU for a while now. I have installed it on two different machines and keep getting the same result. When I open it I get a prompt to ask for my passsword. I put in my password but it doesn't accept it. When I cancel it then I get the regular prompt for password. My password works there and the program closes. I would love to try this out but have never been able to get it to work. The two computers I have tried to use it on are Intel and AMD. Any suggestions would be so appreciated.

nfoav8or
10-13-2008, 11:11 PM
What version of ASU are you using? Also, where are you keeping your ASU app (dir/file)?

kwood129
10-14-2008, 08:20 PM
I have the latest version that came on the ideneb 10.5.5 DVD. I have tried several versions of this and all the same result. Right now I have the ASU in the Core services folder. I have also tried putting this in many different places including usb hard drives and thumb drives. All with the same result.

nfoav8or
10-15-2008, 03:42 AM
Hmm. Ok.
I know they aren't available on the WIKI anymore so here are the files again in case those you've found were corrupted. Give it a try. They work for me.

AMD Patcher 0.2:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/htam2yrjtmi/AMD_Patcher_0.2.pkg.zip

ASU 0.5b:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/zmyw0dyuduz/AMD_Software_Update_0.5.pkg.zip

kwood129
10-16-2008, 04:59 AM
Ok I have a screenshot of what I get on my computer. It brings up the prompt for my password as shown here. The problem is that my password doesn't work. I tried the patcher and the updater that you posted (thank you for that) but it was the same result. I hope this screenshot helps.

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/4364/picture1em2.png

zephyroth
10-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Your password doesn't contain only letters and/or numbers right ?

kwood129
10-16-2008, 08:45 PM
my password has symbols, letters and numbers. Is there one of these that needs to be removed?

zephyroth
10-16-2008, 10:15 PM
You must remove the symbols.

kwood129
10-17-2008, 01:53 AM
That worked like a charm! You're awesome!! Is there any way that you might be updating this to accept symbols?

nfoav8or
10-17-2008, 03:35 AM
Zeph may be updating his ASU soon but if you visit the WIKI to see the stuff he's been working on in "Zeph's Space", you'll see he's got bigger fish to feed right now:

Here is a little video of AutoPatchDaemon 0.1

I plan to work very hard on it to make ASU and AMD Patcher useless ... Here's what I plan to do on it until it's released :>

Watch the whole hard drive and detect any changes (applications, frameworks ...)
Detect if an installer is running and patch installed files on fly
Detect if Apple Software Update is running and is installing something and patch every files on fly
Patch this damn kernel for AMD !

neo.usernet
02-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Very good...:)