PDA

View Full Version : DVD Player not working

LonelyTV
01-31-2008, 11:06 AM
I don't know if this is a common problem. I've searched the board and read the wiki but have found no mention of this on either. My DVD Player application is not working. It opens and then immediately closes. I've replaced the installed app with one from my other Mac in hopes that maybe it was just a bum program, but no luck.

Any solutions?

cgsheen
01-31-2008, 11:15 AM
Did you use Marvin's AMD Utility? I don't know if it'll solve your problem, but it can't hurt... Info and download on the Wiki.

naquaada
01-31-2008, 03:35 PM
Doy ou have QE/CI supported in your gfx card? What system specs do you have, it is AGP graphics?

LonelyTV
01-31-2008, 08:13 PM
cgsheen:Did you use Marvin's AMD Utility? I don't know if it'll solve your problem, but it can't hurt... Info and download on the Wiki.

I tried Marvin's Utility, I thought maybe that was the problem. However, it told me that it couldn't decrypt the files...I'll re run it and get the exact error.

naquaada:Doy ou have QE/CI supported in your gfx card? What system specs do you have, it is AGP graphics?

I do, I have a GeForce 6600GT 128MB PCIe card. Took me sometime to get QE/CI to work, but it works now.

Firewalk
01-31-2008, 09:30 PM
Hi there, having the same prob here, i pop in a dvd and the dvd player starts then exits. i have pcie ati x1650 256 m/b ddr3 on a asus m2a-vm hdmi board QE/CI working. my dvd drive is an LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B burning works. it just seems to be the dvd player..

Firewalk

LonelyTV
01-31-2008, 11:45 PM
Firewalk:Hi there, having the same prob here, i pop in a dvd and the dvd player starts then exits. i have pcie ati x1650 256 m/b ddr3 on a asus m2a-vm hdmi board QE/CI working. my dvd drive is an LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B burning works. it just seems to be the dvd player..

Firewalk

If you just NEED to watch a DVD you can use VLC to watch them. I use it now until I can fix the DVD Player.

Firewalk
02-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Hi LonelyTV, Cheers i forgot about VLC.

naquaada
02-01-2008, 02:09 AM
VLC has often problems playing movies, I'm using it only for Audio. It's better to use Perian and the original DivX codec. Especcially if you register to Quicktime Pro it's great, cutting and converting videos with Quicktime is easy as toast (not the burning prog ;)

sda
02-01-2008, 02:51 AM
well, IMHO:

you need to understand the reason of failure. try to install tinkertool (freeware) and set to receive crash reports on app failure. there at least will be a kind of useful info, or look through the system logs ( /Applications/Utilities/Console ) - there's hell of a lot usefull hints to improve bad behaviour of any selfcrashed app.

LonelyTV
02-01-2008, 03:09 AM
sda:well, IMHO:

you need to understand the reason of failure. try to install tinkertool (freeware) and set to receive crash reports on app failure. there at least will be a kind of useful info, or look through the system logs ( /Applications/Utilities/Console ) - there's hell of a lot usefull hints to improve bad behaviour of any selfcrashed app.

Now, for whatever reason it works. The only things I've done is updated my IONetworkingfamily and SMBIOS kext to fix the "About this Mac" text. So maybe that had something to do with it.

Who knows.