PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] DVD-Rom Drive Won't Eject

LonelyTV
02-01-2008, 04:57 AM
I've ran into a strange issue with my install. It seems that my DVD-Rom drive won't eject after I've used it once. That is, after start up or a reboot if I eject and put a new DVD/CD in or if there's already one in there and I access it. I can't eject it from the drive. If I use the eject icon on the menu bar, finder locks up (well, I can still access the left side of the menu bar. I get a beach ball on the desktop and on the left side of the menu bar) and the button remains blue. If I press and old F12 it shows the eject HUD but does nothing. Dragging the DVD/CD from the desktop to the trash or using the eject icon next to it in finder also does nothing. However, if I leave the drive empty I can open and close it whenever I please.

Also, once I try to eject it and attempt to look at System Profiler's "ATA" section the program forever 'works' and never comes up with anything, and if I attempt to restart it does nothing at all.

Has anyone else run into this issue?

My drive is a NEC DVD-RW ND-2500A and I'm running a Nforce 4-4X board (ECS NFORCE4M-A).

EDIT: My other IDE HDD was causing the screw up. Apparently, this DVD-Rom must be the only thing on the IDE Channel.

naquaada
02-01-2008, 08:51 PM
You can't eject it from the drive itself, that's normal. If the drive is Slave, try holding Windows+F12. If it's still not working it could be that a file from the disk is still in use by another program, f.e. a movie is still opened in Quicktime or something like that MacOS will lock the media. Try logging out and log in again, that should solve the problem in most cases. But it's also possible that a disc is defective in shuch a way that it won't eject it, in that case you have to switch off the computer and try to eject it at the early start or use a pin in the little hole for a mechanical eject.

LonelyTV
02-04-2008, 06:57 AM
naquaada:You can't eject it from the drive itself, that's normal. If the drive is Slave, try holding Windows+F12. If it's still not working it could be that a file from the disk is still in use by another program, f.e. a movie is still opened in Quicktime or something like that MacOS will lock the media. Try logging out and log in again, that should solve the problem in most cases. But it's also possible that a disc is defective in shuch a way that it won't eject it, in that case you have to switch off the computer and try to eject it at the early start or use a pin in the little hole for a mechanical eject.

Sadly, the discs aren't defective. They work perfectly fine when I use them in my MacBook Pro. However, it could be that the program is still in use. Unfortunately, it doesn't show in Activity Monitor. Logging out doesn't work since it freezes after I attempt it. I'm not 100% sure what's causing it as I can burn and read discs fine. It's just after I burn or use a disc ONCE it freezes. System Profiler AND Disk Utility BOTH 'freeze' as if they're waiting for the drive.

02-04-2008, 08:01 AM
If you have a macbook pro, then why the heck would you want osx86? ;)

Wyatt M.

LonelyTV
02-04-2008, 08:07 AM
hackintosh4life:If you have a macbook pro, then why the heck would you want osx86? ;)

Wyatt M.
I like having a Macintosh Desktop that I can upgrade and use along side the Macbook Pro.

naquaada
02-04-2008, 04:33 PM
And it's sure more fun. On a real Mac you don't need to 'hack' ;)