PDA

View Full Version : Usb Hd Install

macg4dave
02-02-2008, 10:24 PM
I have made a Install disk on a usb hard drive by cloning the Leopard-AMD-10.5.1.iso and setting up the boot-loader. Installed the Mech-sse2 kernel and install my Ati drivers from 10.4.8 Jas.

The boot-loader runs fine. I have used (-legacy -v cpus=1) plus tired all others. The kennel loads and does not panic and start to load the installer. The problem is that the boot hangs after the boot disk has mounted. (Got boot drive Bsd diskxrx ....)

I have tried Unpluging all other drives and changed bios settings and i dont think its a jumper setting because the jas 10.4 installer loads ok off the disk. I can load into single user with (-s) but after that it just hangs (i left the computer on half a night just to see if it could pass that bit).

In the verbose output i dont understand 1 or 2 things like "com.apple.driver.appleacipplatform has limited dependencies on both com.apple.kennel and com.apple.kpi use only one style"
and "Local Apic version not 0x14 as expected".

Thanks for reading and sorry for being a noob

My specs are :
Amd 3000 Sempron sse2
Ati X1600 512mb agp
1gb ram
80gb hard drive i want as boot disk
10gb Usb 2 hard drive i want as install disk

naquaada
02-02-2008, 11:17 PM
Hehe, you can tell us the board you have.

I have a similar system to you, Athlon 64 3400+ SSE2 only and a X1600 256MB AGP. I have the Asus A8N-E Deluxe with nForce 3 chipset and everything is working out of the box. I made a direct copy of a working system which was working on a bord with nForce 4 chipset. The onboard components and the gfx card are identical, so this was no problem. Then I replaced the kernel with ToH 9.0.0. I could boot witout problems, but after the booting process I got only a blue screen with mouse cursor. If I moved the mouse in the right lower corner (I have Exposé all windows there) I always got a crashing bang from the speakers ;) I tried AGPGart and some other AGP-related patches but no success, only a kernel panic.

Seems we've to wait a little till using Leopard on AGP.

macg4dave
02-02-2008, 11:31 PM
So you got the installer to work without mucking around?
If you want to get your x1600 to work have you tried this?
http://forum.insanelymac.com/lofiversion/index.php/t69345.html

naquaada
02-02-2008, 11:44 PM
My X1600 is working, I made the patch myself ;) It's fully working in PCI-Express and AGP (QE/CI/MS) but in Tiger AGP is only detected as PCI, so it's slower. AGPGart isn't working on my system 'cause I'm still using 10.4.7. In Leopard AGP isn't working.

I didn't used the installer at all. I always have two bootable systems on my Mac HD, one is a main boot system and one is a test/patch/recovery partition. I made a disk image from a working Leopard installation and copied it to my AGP system. I changed the kernel and it was working, only the screen was blue after entering the OS and the the Exposé sound blooper. Even mode selection was working, the monitor switched to its native resolution of 1600x1200.

macg4dave
02-03-2008, 01:02 AM
Was the disk image from a flat image or did you clone it off a mac? I think I am going to have to give up on the installer because I am going to go mad soon :). I am not in a rush because my 10.4 is running sweet (45 on xbench). I dont run games under mac apart from starcraft so i dont need the agp to be running at full speed but it would be nice. Btw why do use agpart because when i do i cant get it to load the ati drivers ? Thx for your help mate

naquaada
02-03-2008, 01:14 AM
I'm a stupid idiot and I'm still using my AGP 10.4.7, alotough I've got two 4000+ and one 3700+ here, all cable of Leopard and perfect PCI-E graphics... I'm too lazy to port the data. I don't want to use the migration assistent 'cause there's a lot of trash in my system. So I've got to make it all new...

I cloned my image from another Mac. My gfx only is about 40 (PCI-E is >160) average, and it's enough for working. Try using Windows without correct graphics drivers... I'm not using AGPGart. Version 1.6 was working graet, I had PCI-E like results, but no QE/CI/MS. Is your card fully supported? What do you have 4 a board?

macg4dave
02-03-2008, 02:00 AM
My x1600 runs nice full QE/CI and dual screens. The Jas 10.4.8 disk i have has "10.4.8.ATI.Radeonx1x00.agp.support.pkg" and there is one for pcie so i did not have to do anymore than tick a box ;). There is no slow down when using Exposé and get all the ripple from the widget.

My full specs are
Amd 3000 @ 2.2 ghz
Ati x1600 512mb
1gb ddr @ 333
nforce4 m/b Asrock k9updage AC97 Built-in 1 Ethernet
3 80g ide hard drives
2 ide Dvd-rw
Realtek pci 54g wireless card (runs great on mac shit on windows)
Belkin 3 usb2 and 3 firewire card
Thermaltake Case
All for under £300