PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] USB Printer

rfuilrez
01-08-2008, 02:16 PM
I've had the install of Leopard up and running for a few days now, working out splendidly. However, tonight I bought a new USB printer and it's giving me trouble.

If the printer is plugged in WHILE I boot, I get a Kernel panic, and it won't boot. No boot flags will allow it to boot.
If the printer is unplugged, but the cable is still plugged in I get the same problem.

If I unplug the cable from the computer, it boots perfectly fine. I can then plug the printer in and it's recognized and prints.

I haven't tried replacing the kext with the USB from the Known Issues section, because I feel my USB is working fine. It recognizes my Canon PowerShot SD750, my Samsung A707 Phone, and the Printer just fine.

I'm also not sure why it fails to boot when it's JUST the cable thats plugged in, with nothing attatched on the other end. This happens in multiple USB ports, so I'm sure it has something to do with the cable.

SPECS:
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Asus A8N5X mainboard
2GB Corsair DDR 400
Standard USB A to B printer Cable.

Any Ideas?

ShadeZeRO
01-08-2008, 02:41 PM
Well, if you are suspecting the cable, have you tried swapping it out?
It could be causing some kind of short on the port. Never know.

rfuilrez
01-08-2008, 03:08 PM
It's the only one that I have at the moment, so I haven't had a chance. However, if there was a short in the cable, it would make sense that the printer wouldn't function at all, no?

I forgot to mention, Windows XP x64 Professional boots just fine with the printer hooked up.

rfuilrez
01-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Update:

So I managed to get my hands on another USB cable, and all is well. Not sure why the other cable was causing the problem though. It worked fine if I plugged it in After OSX had booted up. And WinXPx64 had no problems with it.

Strange I tell ya.