PDA

View Full Version : nforce4 SATA

Ianxxx
02-03-2008, 11:00 PM
I have a mobo with nforce4 ultra chipset,
My question is, has anyone got a DVD rewriter to write disks on this interface.
Mine won't work (drive samsung sh 203b) the same drive works if I connect it externally as a through usb, so its obviously these drivers. Has anyone gotten a writer to write discs, or does anyone know if work is still going on to refine this driver.
Would much appreciate any info.

naquaada
02-03-2008, 11:33 PM
It is a SATA DVD-RW? These are often not working, IDE is more compatible. I have a NEC-ND 3540A which is not detected in BIOS but works in MacOS X.

Ianxxx
02-03-2008, 11:40 PM
naquaada:It is a SATA DVD-RW? These are often not working, IDE is more compatible. I have a NEC-ND 3540A which is not detected in BIOS but works in MacOS X.
The thing is if I put this drive on an external USB2 adapter it works perfectly, so I don't really know what to think? Would it work on a different SATA mobo?

naquaada
02-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Is the DVD-RW SATA? Does it work in Windows? I'm not sure if nForce SATA supports DVD at all.

Ianxxx
02-03-2008, 11:57 PM
naquaada:Is the DVD-RW SATA? Does it work in Windows? I'm not sure if nForce SATA supports DVD at all.
yes it works in windows and linux and it does everything except write in osx.

naquaada
02-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Then OS X doesn't support SATA-DVD-RW. Use USB or IDE instead.

Ianxxx
02-04-2008, 12:21 AM
naquaada:Then OS X doesn't support SATA-DVD-RW. Use USB or IDE instead.

I think you might be wrong about that, but would love to be put right on the matter.

nfoav8or
02-09-2008, 05:05 AM
naquaada:Then OS X doesn't support SATA-DVD-RW. Use USB or IDE instead.
Do you mean that OSX doesn't support the writing function on a SATA-DVD RW drive or do you mean that the SATA-DVD drive itself isn't supported? I have been trying to get my Pioneer DVR-212 (as well as some other SATA-DVD drives... again all RWs) to work with OSX after changing the kext to MeDevil's newest to support my SATA HD.

I know the drive works though, because when I am running my SATA HD xternally via a USB-SATA adapter (again, prior to the kext change) the DVDRW's all work and all write to a disk. I am not sure how to make this work when the SATA kext has been applied though. I want my components instide my case vs all external.

any thoughts or help would be much appreciated.

Ianxxx
02-11-2008, 09:07 PM
I had exactly the same, just decided it was easier to buy an ide writer for the time being. At the same time purchased one that plays dvds quietly as there doesnt seem to be any way to control this in OSX