PDA

View Full Version : crash on search through pdf, screensaver

compaqdrew
02-05-2008, 05:15 AM
I've been experiencing assorted bugs with Preview, primarily searching through certain PDFs bring the entire system down (beachball, command-option-escape does nothing). Something similar occurs when using certain screensavers. Not sure if these are related or not. Anyone else experiencing this?

zephyroth rev1 (security /quicktime updates, patched with marvin's)
64 x2 6000+
4gb
m2n-sli deluxe (nforce4, using the medevil kext from rev2)
nvidia 8600gts (zephyroth's universal installer)

zuz242
02-05-2008, 07:01 AM
i got almost the same config and (sometimes) the same freezes, peticiular in pdf preview.
i did realize a significant drop in system freezes after i switched the onbord nic off (the non-deluxe board just got the nforce chip)
and used a cheap rtl ethernet card. and i removed old forcedeth.kexts. but i dont use cpus=1.

x2 6000, m2n-sli, 8600gt ;)

R0GUE
02-05-2008, 07:22 AM
Hi compaqdrew, I too had issues when I first installed Leopard a week or so ago. Once I disabled the onboard dual lan controller and deleted the forcedeth.kext most of my lock-ups disappeared too. I've also disabled any kind of over-clocking to further increase stability. So far these past few days have been fairly rock steady.

Edit:
I forgot to say that my board is an MSI K9N Sli with the nForce 570 chipset. I'm running an 8600GTS as well as an Athlon X2 6000+

compaqdrew
02-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Thanks guys. Killing forcedeth has greatly improved stability with regard to preview.

My screensaver bug no longer pulls down my whole system, but it did leave this nice error log, which possibly implicates CoreFoundation, which if I remember right was one of the updates in that security fix, for which patches were distributed (I applied them). Could it be something to do with that?

gaz919
03-07-2008, 05:18 PM
I have the same problem with random crashes, sometimes involving the screensaver even though I have it set to never it still comes on!, I however am not willing to turn off my onboard lan as I need them for both OS I use hopefully there will be some new nvid. network drivers in the new revision that will fix this problem, Im also hopping we see a new kernal that allows sleep in some form or another as sleep is not supported in this revision.

Good Luck