PDA

View Full Version : 'Self-assigned ip problem' with onboard LAN - Nforce5

altair1979
02-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Ok LEo installed superbly well (at my 5th attempt of a system installation)...Zeph you're the man!

HOWEVER...
There is a huge problem with my onboard LAN which is RealteK something - I can't remember the exact model. In 'Network Settings' ethernet shows connected and has an IP Address (using DHCP). But there is no way my Linksys router is assigning this address...It's 'Self-assigned'. At least that's what it shows on 'Network Settings'. But the real bug is yet to come....Even if I disable the onboard LAN through bios it STILL SHOWS UP on 'Network Settings', not connected of course but it's there...

Please HELP someone that has had some experience in these matters.Or maybe someone could point me to cheep network pciCard...that would do just fine...

roisoft
02-13-2008, 09:29 PM
this ehternet work in windows? open (windows) the network preferences and take note of your ip, subnet, gateway and DNS server and boot into leo, open network preferences, choice "manually" and write your config

youīll see something like this:

ip -----------192.168.1.33
subnet-------255.255.255.0
router-------192.168.1.1
DNS..........80.58.61.250,80.58.61.254

apply and post the result here :)

altair1979
02-13-2008, 10:02 PM
roisoft:
I have a dynamic IP address which is assigned by my router...Logging into windows will assign an ip to my pc but I doubt that it will be the same when I boot Leo...

Will try this anyway, I'll post the result later...

thank you for the suggestion...

zuz242
02-14-2008, 12:09 AM
auto assigned adresses didnīt work for me either, so i inserted all manually.
even the DNS server of my provider, as i did not find the osx equivalent of "network gateway".
but now it works fine (i donīt like dynamic ip by dhcp anyway ...)

roisoft
02-14-2008, 12:17 AM
network gateway=router :)

xlslx
02-14-2008, 12:20 AM
a network gateway can also be a "Bridge" which "routes" (here it is ;)) two networks (its a node between two different virtual networks for example. ;)
btw. i have a Bridge at home running Debian 4.0 - which doesnt route a network. it has my self written small firewall which mainly filters every unwanted IPs/or Ranges, like IPs from the Industry or something like this....but it isnt a Firewall, its just a Invisible PC which filters IPs and Packages invisibly ;)

roisoft
02-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Youīre right, very good explanation!! :)

An old PC can be used like a gateway or router or switch to give access to internet/intranet to rest of pcs at home, office..

xlslx
02-14-2008, 12:29 AM
hey roi - do you know which is zephy current state of development? ;)

roisoft
02-14-2008, 12:31 AM
A.S.A.P :)

roisoft
02-14-2008, 12:42 AM
btw: zephyroth:I will do some more tests and if it's ok will create the release and start upload this night.
I'll keep you informed if something goes wrong ...

xlslx
02-14-2008, 12:55 AM
yeah i read this but ASAP is not a correct answer to my question ;) but its ok...iam as patient as before - "all good things come to an end"....

HCE
02-14-2008, 01:19 AM
xlslx:"all good things come to an end"....
That's a good one. I hope all good things are just about to begin, should this release finally do the job...

altair1979
02-14-2008, 06:19 PM
roisoft : thanx man, problem solved by manually entering ip address and dns...
Now if only I could I could get my 4 SATA hard drives to work I could definitely get rid of Vista...

roisoft
02-14-2008, 06:46 PM
You can try this, format one Sata Hd in HFS+ (GUID) and restore your lEO1 into the NEW (sata) LEO2, download the new Medevil AppleNforceAta.kext and and copy this kext into your second leo /system/library/extensions. Extract the pc_efi_v80 in your desktop (LEO1), with diskutility get info about your LEO2 (diskXsY) and unmount the disk open a terminal and type:

(for example the device is disk1s2 ok?)
sudo -s

(your password)
cd /Users/"Your user here"/Desktop/pc_efi_v80

./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk1 ./boot_v80

dd if=./guid/boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2 bs=512 count=1
dd if=./guid/boot0 of=/dev/disk1 bs=400 count=1

-At this moment you will see the leo2 mounted again in your desktop-
donīt close the terminal, copy the applesmbios from your pc_efi_v80 into LEO2 /system/library/extensions

in the terminal type again

cd /volumes/"LEO2"/system/library/extensions
chmod -R 755 * && chown -R root:wheel *
cd ..
rm extension.mkext
kextcache -a i386 -e

close the terminal, open diskutility and verify the LEO2 and repair the permission, reboot into LEO2 (put the correct device in your bios or you can use the bios bootloader f8-10-12 I donīt know what is your mother) and cross your fingers!!

zuz242
02-14-2008, 08:00 PM
zuz242:..., as i did not find the osx equivalent of "network gateway".
roisoft:network gateway=router :)

i know, but i was referring at the "default gateway" option under win, where one inserts the ip of the
router (or server) in order to access the internet (getting internet dns resolution etc.).

network options are labeled differently in osx. i had to get my ipīs dns server ip from my router and insert them manually.

roisoft
02-14-2008, 08:08 PM
You only need insert dns server....if you are using "manually options" or you have problems with DHCP and your ethernet adapter, I donīt have this problem and my router works properly with my ethernet devices