PDA

View Full Version : It takes ages to start the installation 10.5.1

subsonic
02-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Hey there,

i thought it might be a good idea to install zephirots 10.5.1 AMD release on my main machine as long as 10.5.2 isn't released to the public. At first i had to burn at least 5 DVDs at 2x speed until one of them worked. Now i am stuck at the Leopard wallpaper that appears before the setup should start. I am sitting here, staring at that wallpaper for over 15 minutes now and nothing happens. Same happened with the "information screen" when starting the installation. A few lines of text appear, sometimes it stops without an errormessage at searching the boot device, next time it goes a little further ... or not.

I tried several things. First i pulled off all my HDDs that shouldn't be involved into the installation (i.e. SATA HDD and 2 IDE HDDs). Then i tried to install it ... no luck, stuck at the information screen. I switched my HDD and DVD Rom from one IDE channel to another, tried it with every possible mix. Nothing ... i can't go further than to the wallpaper.

My rig is a premade Compaq Presario (AMD X2 4200) with an MSI Amethyst MoBo, everything were left original except the GFX-Card. I now have a XFI 8600 GT.

Uh .. wow ... after around 25 minutes the "Busy Ball" disappeared, now only the wallpaper is left. My DVD does nothing, same with the HDD -.-

Is someone around who could give me some advice?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

P.S. I know i could wait until Zeph releases 10.5.2 but i am curious =)

//edit
Next try : This time it stops at "Still waiting for root device" and does nothing. Not even an restart

subsonic
02-15-2008, 06:14 AM
Hello? I could really need some advice =(

I tried nearly everything possible. I have used 3 different DVD brands (Sony, Philips, Verbatim), tried DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD-RW and whatever. I started the installation with -f, with -x -f, with cpus=1 -f -x ... nothing worked for me. It always stops either at "Waiting for boot device", at the wallpaper right before the installation should start or somewhere between.

Greetings,
Tom

I fear that the same things will happen with the 10.5.2 release o.O

eddie11c
02-15-2008, 06:27 AM
I think your problem lies with the chipset for your IDE/SATA drive. you should look up that motherboard and find the specifics for it.

subsonic
02-15-2008, 06:31 AM
yep, guess you are right. found an answer from cgsheen at insanelymac saying, that my chipset (ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset) isnt well supported at zephirots 10.5.1 release. too bad. so i really have to wait for 10.5.2