PDA

View Full Version : Zephyroth Leopard 10.5.1 AMD, does it already include EFI?

WinLinMac01
02-15-2008, 06:39 PM
Hello everyone, I have Zephyroth's 10.5.1 on my system and was questioning whether or not it already has EFI installed when Zephyroth made the AMD image? I want to install 10.5.2 (from the AMD package Piratebay), and would like to know if it is safe to continue, because EFI is required. Thanks.

This is the prompt I receive before I proceed to the installation: This is the AMD 10.5.2 update. You use this at your own risk. I have included the updated kernel(9.2.0), System.kext and dsmos.kext for those with EFI already isntalled. If you don't have EFI installed be warned that you will sit at a black screen for about 2 minutes waiting for the desktop to load with the old kernel(9.1.0).

damnesiac
02-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Nope, no EFI. It's easy to install efi though. Look in the miscelaneous section of the wiki for instructions. Just follow those simple instructions and you'll be on your way with EFI.

WinLinMac01
02-15-2008, 06:47 PM
What is the link again?

WinLinMac01
02-15-2008, 06:48 PM
never mind found the link, /osx86.wikidot.com

WinLinMac01
02-15-2008, 06:49 PM
Will this affect my existing installation, like overwriting the files? http://osx86.wikidot.com/misc-information What would happen if I was to install that file that I was referring about that's on pirate bay?

zuz242
02-15-2008, 07:03 PM
What do you mean, exactly?
Installing EFI just "adds" the EFI bootloader.
replacing AppleSMBIOS.kext is not mandatory.
As for installing the AMD package, it looks like it needs EFI installed for fully working.
Of course will the update replace many files and could wreck your 10.5.1 ;)

WinLinMac01
02-15-2008, 07:37 PM
is there any way I can get the EFI to install in my operating system without using a jump drive?

damnesiac
02-15-2008, 09:11 PM
You can use an external harddrive or another internal drive.

cgsheen
02-16-2008, 12:19 AM
WinLinMac01:is there any way I can get the EFI to install in my operating system without using a jump drive?Ya, after you have the "iamefi" folder on your root drive:

Boot in "single user mode" ( press a key (or F8) at the "countdown" and type -s at the prompt - hit Enter )
At the prompt:
cd /iamefi
( the prompt will change and say "iamefi" in there somewhere - sorry, at work and don't remember the actual verbage )
./startupfiletool /dev/rdisk0s1 ./boot_v8 ( here you need your ACTUAL drive and partition numbers in the "rdiskXsX" !!! )
( it'll say some stuff here - 4 or 5 lines before it's complete. doesn't take long. )
reboot

Once it boots the "EFI enhanced...." goes by so quickly you don't really see it - it mostly looks like a normal boot. There's a tool refered to in one of these threads that's lets you see the EFI parameters once you're in the OS X Desktop... Look around, you'll find it.

zuz242
02-16-2008, 12:39 AM
really? does it work without unmounting first?

the tool is called IORegistryExplorer, you can get it at the wiki.

WinLinMac01
02-16-2008, 12:47 AM
Thank you everyone.

cgsheen
02-16-2008, 12:57 AM
zuz242:really? does it work without unmounting first?

the tool is called IORegistryExplorer, you can get it at the wiki.Well, that's the way I did it. I use a seperate HD for OSx86 so essentially it's a "single boot" install... And this is straight from the "readme" in the "pc_efi_v80.zip" file:

"- Easy installation --- For Single-Booting systems ---

Create directory iamefi in the root folder of your boot osx disk.

Copy all included files into it

Boot in Single User mode by mashing F8 key during boot (right after bios POST) type -s and press enter

Then enter the following commands

cd /iamefi

./startupfiletool /dev/rdiskXsX ./boot_v8

reboot

Whereas rdiskXsX is the partition where your OSX install is (you can check that out on Disk Utility in OSX)

And v* is the EFI version bootloader you wish to use.

Existing 10.4.10 and 10.5/10.5.1 kernels compiled from sources, made by Toh are already known to work with this package.

You can also use vanilla appleacpiplatform.kext for leopard, and vanilla applesmbios.kext, but you might experience some glitches in system profiler and incorrect processor recognition with the latter.

dsmos.kext is mandatorily needed for vanilla and binary hacked kernels.

All credits for this work goes to def, Turbo , netkas, Dmitrik. And all testers."

Straight from "netkas" himself (or maybe ToH)....

WinLinMac01
02-16-2008, 01:04 AM
I just wanted to confirm if it was possible to do this on my only 320gb hard drive. Let me know, thanks.

zuz242
02-16-2008, 01:05 AM
well, i will try this with my internal osx installation (cloned from external usb install with efi), as there efi is not fully installed.
if it works, i will add the info to the wiki ;)