PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Update 1.0

CyCLoBoT
02-16-2008, 09:33 AM
I have successfully installed 10.5.2 update. Now this update about graphics cards is showing up. Would it be safe for me to install it? I have Nvidia Geforce 6800GS. I updated 10.5.2 with eddie's package along with EFI.

Sorry if this issue has been posted before. I searched but couldn't find any relevant information thus I started a new topic.

agrafuese
02-16-2008, 09:57 AM
You'll also need NVinject.kext to get your Nvidia card working (there are other ways to do it, but this is the easiest AFAIK). Some Nvidia users need to edit the Info.plist found inside the NVinject.kext (as well as GeForce.kext and NVDAResman.kext) to add a DeviceID for their card, but your card is relatively old enough that the DeviceID should already be there. You can get NVinject here:

http://nvinject.free.fr/downloads.php

Also, you'll need this patcher:
http://tinyurl.com/39csng

Follow these instructions:

Unzip the patcher in the root of your drive
Install the Graphics Update - download it from here:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/application_updates/leopardgraphicsupdate10.html

before you restart, put the NVinject.kext in your /System/Library/Extensions/ folder and repair permissions (very important!)
Restart now and boot up with -s option (single user mode)
mount your volume as writeable by typing the following at the prompt:

mount -uw /
cd /patches
./patcher cpuid-graphics.txt
reboot

This time, boot up with -f (just reinitiates the kernels)

Should work. If not, do a search in google or insanelymac to find solutions for your specific card with this update (may need to edit Info.plist as I mentioned above). Good luck!

mrburns05
02-16-2008, 01:52 PM
i did the update, patched the files, and now i get a kernel panic (using 9.2.0 kernel, 7900GT, with Zeph's Installer and NVInject 0.2.1)

rumar4u
02-16-2008, 09:11 PM
You have to delete all Graphics Kexts first:
boot with -s
mount -uw /
rm -rf /system/library/extensions/NV* (enter)
rm -rf /system/library/extensions/Ge* (enter)
reboot (enter)
Your Graphics will appear in 1024 x 768 but , there you install the Zephs graphics installer with NVinject 0.2.1 (latest is very important)
then open terminal, your name & password and Sudo & Chown everything in extensions folder
cd /system/library/extensions/ && chown -R root:wheel * && chmod -R 755 * (enter)
diskutil repairpermissions / (enter)
reboot (enter)

Im not a "know it all" but this is pure basics... hope it helps
ps.. If you want to "mount -uw" again and run the ./patcher cpuid-graphics.txt for your convenience do it again

CyCLoBoT
02-16-2008, 09:32 PM
Is it possible to use the video card without having to modify the kext files (NVDAResman etc.) with the vendor ID? I was under the impression that if we use EFI, then we don't have to modify most kexts.

I have installed the graphics update but it wouldn't load the desktop so I had to modify three kexts with the vendor ID. Btw, where can I find Zeph's installer?

mrburns05
02-16-2008, 10:18 PM
yeah i got it working, deleted all Nv/Ge kexts and reinstalled Zeph's Nvidia Installer, works now but i got kernel panic on reboot/shutdown. So i ran AMD utility and realized NVDAResman.kext needed to be patched, i figured it was already, guess some things changed.

Firewalk
02-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Hi all, is there a solution for ati cards, i have searched every where but to no avail. my card is a ati x1650 256m/b pcie, i am not using efi..all working bar QE/CI..

Firewalk

** SOLVED **

Snow
02-17-2008, 01:58 AM
Did the update,got kernel panic on boot.

Used rumar4u's method to get it all working again, thx bro!

shitan
02-19-2008, 02:06 AM
Does the zeph nvinject installer on the website osx86.wikidot include the latest nvinject (0.2.1)?

shitan
02-19-2008, 02:35 AM
Tried the graphics update - first destroyed my system. Then patched, didn't improve. Then applied rumar's method (removing the GE and NV kext)
and it booted. Then I installed zeph's nvinject installer (which had previously worked on my system), and while it doesn't destroy it (it still boots fine), it doesn't work either. System complains that 'nvinject was installed improperly".
What should i do? :(

eddie11c
02-19-2008, 02:38 AM
shitan:Tried the graphics update - first destroyed my system. Then patched, didn't improve. Then applied rumar's method (removing the GE and NV kext)
and it booted. Then I installed zeph's nvinject installer (which had previously worked on my system), and while it doesn't destroy it (it still boots fine), it doesn't work either. System complains that 'nvinject was installed improperly".
What should i do? :(
You need to repair permissions on nvinject.

shitan
02-19-2008, 02:52 AM
thanks for your help!

should i install the extra 256Mb package with the installer - i did it last time, but i am not sure it's what i am supposed to do.

shitan
02-19-2008, 03:11 AM
Installed Nvidia kext + NvInject 256 (=memory of my card). Repaired permissions, to no avail: boot, but stuck in low res + bitchy "nvinject.kext was not installed properly", no matter how many times i repair permissions.

mmm...
what should i do?

rumar4u
02-19-2008, 03:13 AM
Did you open Terminal and Chown & Chmod everything as i guided before ?

shitan
02-19-2008, 03:20 AM
Rumar4u: Thank you, you're a genius.

I somehow was convinced the chmod chown was just some type of permission repair - but i was obviously wrong. what does it do, or why doesn't "permission repair" from disk utility take care of it?

Thanks again, man.

rumar4u
02-19-2008, 03:28 AM
You Welcome, whats good to have info and not sharing it right ? Exactly what does it do ?? LOL fix problems...LOL i just learned that and worked everytime, so i pass it to you

ipotex
02-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Any test it with ati x200?
Thanks

StealthMode
02-19-2008, 09:24 AM
Ok, I had nvinject already installed, so I installed the graphics update and ran the patcher upon reboot, and I get that black screen telling me to reboot.... I am confused

6800GS btw

shitan
02-19-2008, 09:55 AM
try what rumar suggested : boot in single user, remove all traces of nvinject,
boot in safe mode, reinstall nvinject,
chown/chmod everything
repair permissions, reboot.

StealthMode
02-19-2008, 10:12 AM
rumar4u:You have to delete all Graphics Kexts first:
boot with -s
mount -uw /
rm -rf /system/library/extensions/NV* (enter)
rm -rf /system/library/extensions/Ge* (enter)
reboot (enter)
Your Graphics will appear in 1024 x 768 but , there you install the Zephs graphics installer with NVinject 0.2.1 (latest is very important)
then open terminal, your name & password and Sudo & Chown everything in extensions folder
cd /system/library/extensions/ && chown -R root:wheel * && chmod -R 755 * (enter)
diskutil repairpermissions / (enter)
reboot (enter)

Im not a "know it all" but this is pure basics... hope it helps
ps.. If you want to "mount -uw" again and run the ./patcher cpuid-graphics.txt for your convenience do it again

I did this and I still get that black screen reboot error....

rumar4u
02-19-2008, 10:13 AM
not only nvinject, but by rm -rf all the NV* includes "nvinject, nvdaresman, nvdanv50hal etc.." all kexts related to Nvidia plus the other one is for Geforce "Ge*"

StealthMode
02-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Ok, got my 6800GS fully working. I installed the latest NVinject, then I proceeded to install Zephs Universal NVidia Installer, clicked only the new kexts, not the NVinject in the installer (note - I installed the latest NVinject already via terminal) then when it was all installed I went in the extensions folder added my dev id to the info.plist files, repaired permissions etc.. rebooted, applied the cpuid-graphics patcher, rebooted and boom! Everything works!!!