PDA

View Full Version : nVidia 7600GS QE/CI with 10.5.2 anyone? If so, how?

HCE
02-18-2008, 09:20 AM
As the topic says, please, those who have an nVidia 7600GS card, let me know if you've managed to get qe/ci working with it, and what it takes to get it working. Thank you.

HCE
02-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Things I've tried: nvinject 256 (the one on the installation disk), natit dual display (worked with no problem on Tiger), Titan... Also, I tried to remove all other device IDs except my graphics card's (0x039210de) when I do that, I can't even boot into framebuffer mode... So, still no dice. To think making this card work used to be a walk in the park before Leo...

BANKAI
02-18-2008, 07:49 PM
Does it work with QE/CI in Tiger?

Which motherboard do you have, and is it a PCI-E or an AGP card?

Tell me this, please. :)

HCE
02-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Tiger 10.4.10: QE/CI fully working on dual display using natit.kext
ASUS A8NSLI SE (nForce4)
PCI-E ASUS EN7600GS SILENT

HCE
02-18-2008, 07:58 PM
BTW, if it helps, I've installed using the 9.1.0 kernel. The 9.2.0 kernel installation caused an appleintelpowermanagement panic on reboot...

rumar4u
02-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Well HCE do this hoping it will help you:

Enter Terminal in root mode: (You know the sudo -s & password thing)type
rm -rf /system/library/extensions/NV*
rm -rf /system/library/extensions/Ge* (those commands are to remove files) also do
rm -rf /system/library/extensions/Natit*

after that install the Universal Nvidia Installer from Zephyrot
now in the same terminal
cd /system/library/extensions/ && chown -R root:wheel * && chmod -R 755 *
diskutil repairpermissions /
reboot

After that ill kill myself if it dont work :-) Hope it helps

HCE
02-18-2008, 08:09 PM
So, to sum up, I can boot into Leopard only in framebuffer mode and ONLY if I leave the Geforce/nvidia related kexts alone. If I insert only my dev id, the system won't boot at all anymore, although it should... Needless to say, the specific dev id is NOT present in the info.plist of the unmodified kexts. It's a bit confusing, to say the least, I mean the card only works when its specific entry is NOT present in the list...

HCE
02-18-2008, 08:11 PM
rumar4u:Well HCE do this hoping it will help you:

Enter Terminal in root mode: (You know the sudo -s & password thing)type
rm -rf /system/library/extensions/NV*
rm -rf /system/library/extensions/Ge* (those commands are to remove files) also do
rm -rf /system/library/extensions/Natit*

after that install the Universal Nvidia Installer from Zephyrot
now in the same terminal
cd /system/library/extensions/ && chown -R root:wheel * && chmod -R 755 *
diskutil repairpermissions /
reboot

After that ill kill myself if it dont work :-) Hope it helps

Should nvinject 256 be installed or not?

rumar4u
02-18-2008, 08:13 PM
What do you think my friend, for a minute put your "thinking cap" and start messing around so you can learn up a bit...
An Ol' Saying in my country tells: Give a man a fish... and you'll only feed him once... Teach a man how to fish... and you'll feed him for life.
Hope it helps

HCE
02-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks, I'll start messing around then. And I'll kill myself if it don't (sic!) work.

rumar4u
02-18-2008, 08:19 PM
By now you would already have had the QE/CI up and running fine with the 256 NVinject (if its that your amoutn of Ram)

HCE
02-18-2008, 08:35 PM
@rumar4u:

Ok, I messed aroung using your instructions to the letter and I came up with the same result: with nvinject-256 kext installed, system reboots and sits on a blue screen with cursor. It tries to switch to the desktop and for like a fraction of a second I can see a glimpse of the wallpaper, but that's it, the computer just sits on that blue screen with cursor. Then I simply delete the nvinject kext and reboot into framebuffer mode leopard to write these wonderful lines. And yes, I'm sure my card has 256 MB memory... I won't kill myself yet, I'll do it after I solve this :)

rumar4u
02-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Actually something similar happened to me, but....

The new 9.2 Kernel worked for me with the 9.1 dsmos.kext in the extensions folder
so i use 9.1 dsmos.kext and 9.2 mach_kernel and it went thru

if you want try reinstalling the Whole DVD again but, at the end when it wants to restart, Quickly open Terminal and Delete the NV* & Ge* with the rm -rf thing so when you're up and running Leo install the Video Installer again

but your problem is not then the Video Kexts is the Installation itself of the Leo 10.5.2

HCE
02-19-2008, 02:21 AM
One day later, nothing that I tried worked... Could any PCI-E 7600GS(256MB) user upload or provide a link for a tested and working version of nVidia kexts? Or for the 9.1 dsmos.kext to try the method rumar4u suggested? Thank you in advance.

cgsheen
02-19-2008, 02:29 AM
Have you tried nvinject 0.1.3? That's the only injector that made our 7600GS run with full QE/CI in 10.5.1. (but I haven't even tried 10.5.2 on that machine. It's my sons and it's working perfectly for him - I'm not touching it!)

HCE
02-19-2008, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it now and will post back.

HCE
02-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Ok, problem solved, at least for me, but I believe it will be for anyone who had this problem. It appears that Leopard, unlike Tiger, is quite sensitive with where the output from the graphics card is sent. There are two solutions for solving this:

SOLUTION #1:
Previously, when my system would hang on a light blue screen, my signal was being sent to a CRT monitor connected to a VGA connector. So by mere trial and error, I decided to see what happened if I connected my CRT monitor to the DVI connector using a DVI to VGA adaptor (delivered with my graphics card). Lo and behold, it worked. No TV-OUT, but it worked, giving me QE/CI on Leopard 10.5.2. My connected TV is not displayed in the displays pane, and, of course, no signal is sent to the TV, unfortunately, neither using Natit dual 0.2.0, nor anything else, unfortunately...

SOLUTION#2:
Reconnect your CRT monitor to the VGA connector and UNPLUG whatever adaptor you were using with solution #1. If you have them installed, remove any NVInject, Natit, Titan kext you may have installed.You will boot into framebuffer mode. Now install the version of nvinject for your card memory. Go to System/Library/Extensions and open the Info.plist inside nvinject.kext you just installed. Edit the NVCAP entry with the following value: 04000000 00000300 0c000000 00000007 00000000. This is the value for 7xxx cards I found on the nvinject site: http://nvinject.free.fr/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19. It should look like this:

<key>NVCAP</key>
<data>
04000000 00000300 0c000000 00000007 00000000
</data>

Save the modifications and do the repair permissions routine before rebooting. On reboot, you should have QE/CI enabled, and, as an interesting twist, your TV (if you have one connected) will be displayed in the displays pane as a VGA monitor, yet, once again, no signal is sent to it...

If anyone has any clue about how to enable TV-OUT on leopard, please share this information, it's the only (annoying!) thing missing from my Leopard installation.

PS: I have even been able to solve this problem and get my card detected using strings and modifying the com.apple.boot.plist entries. It works, the advantage being that you can bypass 3rd party injectors such as nvinject, natit etc. However, still no TV-OUT, even with that method... I'll try to post a little guide on how to do that, as well, but no time right now.

grendelkhan
03-27-2008, 02:26 AM
HCE:Ok, problem solved, at least for me, but I believe it will be for anyone who had this problem. It appears that Leopard, unlike Tiger, is quite sensitive with where the output from the graphics card is sent. There are two solutions for solving this:

PS: I have even been able to solve this problem and get my card detected using strings and modifying the com.apple.boot.plist entries. It works, the advantage being that you can bypass 3rd party injectors such as nvinject, natit etc. However, still no TV-OUT, even with that method... I'll try to post a little guide on how to do that, as well, but no time right now.

I have the AGP version of this card and I have been just as stumped. Would you mind revealing the boot.plist entry you made to get this card detected correctly?

Muchas Gracias!

anna
04-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Hey guys, I've searched on the forums, because I still have got the same problem (ASUS 7600GS AGP).
Are there any „bomb-proof“ solutions to get QE/CE work on that graphic cards by now?
Which NVinject-version does work (best)?
DO we have to use the AGPGart.kext?

I am sorry, but I've tried everything, but can't get it work :(

seren
04-15-2008, 10:41 PM
I was having so many problems also

But i recently reinstalled zephs rev2 and before i was using mt ati card and i was trying to install the nvidia to an existing install. so when in reinstalled in put the nvidia card in and installed with 10.5.2 Nvidia Kexts and NVinject select and lo and behold it worked with QE/CI i suggest you use pacifist open the install dvd and install those packages. AFTER you remove all other kexts and reboot without any installed. then reboot again and hopefully you will be in good shape. btw im using NVinject 2.0 -256 my card is pcie but you shouldn't have much variation