PDA

View Full Version : Installing 10.5.2 (Why am I unable to boot from HD Volume that is named as two words?)

WinLinMac01
02-19-2008, 09:50 AM
Is it safe to rename my HD volume after I am done with the installation?

I heard that when installing Leopard, it is always safe to name it one word.

I renamed my volume 2 words, "Macintosh HD" after the installation, or else if I did during the installation, my Hard Disk would not boot, and instead will stay at a blinking cursor before booting.

Is it safe what I did even though I changed the info after the installation?

Why am I unable to boot from a HD Volume that is named with two words instead of one?
Why does if I change it after the installation?

Lets me know, thanks. =) Trying to get this dispute out of my mind.

zephyroth
02-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Because the script to intall bootloader can only handle a HD Volume that is named in one word ...

If your volume is Macintosh HD, the script will try to install EFI on the volume Macintosh which does not exist ...

Thus rename it AFTER the installation will not change anything because EFI is not installed properly on your volume.
You must reinstall.

R0GUE
02-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Ah, thats probably why I couldn't get mine to boot correctly. I formatted my HD as 'Macintosh HD' using GUID and EFI and I couldn't get the OS to boot without the DVD being in the drive. At least I know what to do now!

Cheers guys.

zephyroth
02-19-2008, 05:01 PM
The script that installs GUID is buggy ... I've just made a fresh installation using GUID and by looking at the install log I saw that during the GUID bootloader installation there's an error saying (for me) : dd:/dev/disk2: resource busy.
Thus I must boot with the DVD too.

I think I know what's the solution. I will keep you informed.

WinLinMac01
02-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Thanks for that info. I changed the name of the volume after the installation and everything seems to be running just fine. I didn't have to reinstall according to my understanding from your post. Thus, does that mean it is possible to change the name and the O/S is safe? Or is it strictly recommended to stick with one name? As always Zephyroth, thank you very much. ;-)

zephyroth:Because the script to intall bootloader can only handle a HD Volume that is named in one word ...

If your volume is Macintosh HD, the script will try to install EFI on the volume Macintosh which does not exist ...

Thus rename it AFTER the installation will not change anything because EFI is not installed properly on your volume.
You must reinstall.