PDA

View Full Version : Time Machine (The backup volume could not be found).

compaqdrew
02-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Discussion Notice: Do not post into the News Section!

timdsmith72
02-19-2008, 04:58 PM
As root:
cd /System/Library/Extensions
find IONetworkingFamily.kext -exec xattr -d com.apple.quarantine {} \;

Let it run...takes a minute or two. and ignore the errors...

EDIT: Took out un-needed quotes.

monsieur.d
02-19-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm getting the same error. Will try when I get home and post the results. Thanks!

altair1979
02-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Same problem here with external USB hard drive...
All I get is error message: "No such xattr: com.apple.quarantine"

backup still fails

there must be a way around this

rumar4u
02-19-2008, 07:06 PM
Well i had the same issue, but i fixed it, putting the new AppleSMBIOS.kext, IONetworking.kext, NVinject.kext (0.2.1 Latest) (Chown & Chmod) them diskrepair, Also in the Options i disabled it, then put it back and put all the other disc Except the one that is supposed to backup.

Check your QE & CI also if you happen to get them right you'll have Time Machine up and Running

monsieur.d
02-19-2008, 08:28 PM
I've tried what timdsmith72 suggested + repaired permissions + reboot. Still not working.

rumar4u, could you explain in detail what you did and where you got those kexts from (AppleSMBIOS and IONetworking.kext).

Also, I don't understand what you did in "in the Options i disabled it, then put it back and put all the other disc Except the one that is supposed to backup"

Thanks for the help.

D.

rumar4u
02-19-2008, 09:41 PM
How to get started...OK
Zephyrot installation 10.5.2 (told by him) is supposed to have the new AppleSMBIOS.kext & IONetworking.kext to prevent errors
In Macs there are NO so called "drivers" but rather "Files with Instrucctions" to get the Hardware up and running
Kexts are the so called "drivers" or Files with Instrucctions" to make other things work properly
my suggestion is: Open Terminal (go to Applications & Utilities Folder)
there you type: sudo -s (which gives you total access as SuperMan) and your password
its supposed to appear in root mode, by the way if you have the Root Mode you can type in Capital or small letters and everything will work normal, when you dont have sudo -s ie: like DVD's terminal you must type the Correct Name with their correct Capital letters...
anyway after root mode type: cd /system/library/extensions/ && chown -R root:wheel * && chmod -R 755 * when it finishes type: diskutil repairpermissions / and when it finishes type: reboot
when it gets back go to the System Preferences and open Time Machine, there if you have the Time Machine "ON" it will appear the options button and there you do what i just told you before in the previous post

Beforce asking me again for this try for once to think a bit for yourself so you can learn up and teach others. Mess around with it until you get it done. Dont start another thread before getting this going
hope it helps you...

timdsmith72
02-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Yeah, you have to have the 'fixed' IONetworking.kext (which i assume the install came with...)

monsieur.d
02-20-2008, 03:36 AM
rumar4u: thanks for the answer. I was not asking what kexts are or how to install them, but I was a bit lost in your first post because I had those files installed (did a fresh 10.5.2 install with Zephyroth's disk). I appreciate that you took the time to reply, but you don't need to tell me to think for myself and how to behave in a forum. If you used a nforce lan card, you'd know what I contributed to the hackintosh community.

Anyway, back to the topic: I tried installing new AppleSMBIOS and IONEtworkingFamily from www.netkas.org, but still get the same error. It must be something else.

woody970
02-20-2008, 09:22 AM
monsieur.d: I too was having the same problem as you and compaqdrew the first poster in this thread. What I did is I followed rumar4u's post above, however that did not fix it at least not all the way. I searched a few more forums for this issue and found out the the Time Machine program is linked to your network connection in that it needs a unique identifier in order to operate. See the attached link to that thread for more information on it, as I'm not that familiar with mac yet but I'm learning. http://forum.osx86scene.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109&start=45&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
After reading this thread I realized that my computer has an onboard lan connection ( as most do ) but it's not connected due tho the fact that i connect to my network through a usb network card. During my first attempts to use Time Machine I had the USB network card removed and my USB disk drive connected which resulted in the error. Once I connected the network card and the disk drive at the same time the Time Machine app started to work as designed. I have attached a screen shot of my desktop to show you that it is indeed working. I hope this helps, good luck.

rumar4u
02-20-2008, 09:41 AM
monsieur.d:rumar4u: thanks for the answer. I was not asking what kexts are or how to install them.
I explained that cause of all the new people who usually comes right here that maybe can perhaps take advantage of that explanation

monsieur.d:I appreciate that you took the time to reply, but you don't need to tell me to think for myself and how to behave in a forum. If you used a nforce lan card, you'd know what I contributed to the hackintosh community.
Thanks for your contribution, im sure i took advantage of it... but I wasnt telling you how to behave, neither how to ask and for God's sake if you have a question you're free to ask to whoever you want its a free world...I told you so, cause who knows, there are some people, first they dont put their specs (no easy taks to guess) second some of them dont want to take the time to search and read (mess around a bit) so that comment came to motivate others to "think" and go out there and do some searching, put here and there (mess around) until it gets right so we can contribute to help others the way they got it

Sorry if i was being rude... Sometimes its not the words you say its how you say them, and maybe i didnt say it like i meant to

compaqdrew
02-20-2008, 09:57 AM
I ran timdsmith72's script, repaired permissions, did a touch, and rebooted. Still nothing.

For the record (some think this is networking related) I have a SLI 570 chipset with dual LANs (which don't work and never have) and I use a ENGLA-1320 for real networking.

woody970
02-20-2008, 10:31 AM
compaqdrew, The reason I believe it's related to your network card is in part the information that I found on the forum that I posted above and from my experience
with my own Computer. Just before I posted above I did some testing with my pc and found that when I unplugged my USB wireless network card and tried to use time machine it gave me the error that we are all trying to fix. In turn I reconnected the usb wireless card and connected to my network and everything worked again, I also tried leaving the usb wireless card plugged in but not connected to any networks and tried the program an it worked. So this leads me to believe that
it has some sort of dependancy on a working network card, or it could be that it just doesn't like a wired network card. Do you have the ability to try a wireless network card? FYI all real mac's (non hackentoshes) have both a wired connection and a wireless connection so maybe it's dependent on the wireless card more so than a network card.

My Specs.:
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 4000+ / MMX, 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64
Motherboard: MSi K8N-Neo3 Platinum (MS-7025)
Graphics: NVidia GeForce FX 5200 - working out of the box
Hard Drive: Seagate (160 GB) IDE
Sound card: Realtek ALC850 Audio - patched and working
Memory: 1 GB
Fast Ethernet by Marvell 88E1111 PHY -(not working - disabled in bios)
Fast Ethernet by Realtek 8110S (1000Mbps) - (working out of the box but not used)
USB wireless network card (Hawking Technologies for mac) - working with vendor drivers

monsieur.d
02-20-2008, 09:30 PM
rumar4u: no problem. You were not rude. That's certainly a problem with internet forums: what you write and think might be interpreted differently by the reader... So all is fine. Back to fixing my time machine :)

monsieur.d
02-20-2008, 09:50 PM
FIXED: Repartitioned target backup drive using MBR partitioning (was GUID).

Long answer: Apparently there's a problem with GUID (at least in my computer).

Firstly, I tried to install Leopard (Zephyroth's 10.5.2 DVD) in a GUID partition. It would not boot.

Now, I set the backup drive to a unit partitioned with GUID and TimeMachine would not backup my data. As soon as I repartitioned it with MBR, it worked.

Thanks to all.

D.

monsieur.d
02-20-2008, 10:09 PM
For the record:
My Specs.:
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4200+ / MMX, 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64
Motherboard: ASRock 939NF6G
Graphics: NVidia GeForce 7800 GT - working with NVInject
Hard Drive: Seagate (160 GB) IDE, Maxtor (200 GB) SATA
Sound card: Realtek ALC888 Audio - patched and working (output only)
Memory: 3 GB
Fast Ethernet by Realtek 8139 (100Mbps) - (working out of the box - 3.60 euros :-)
USB Apple Keyboard and USB Mouse

PingunZ
07-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Sorry to revive this thread, but I'm having the same problem..
I tried:
- TM fix ( from the topic in #leopard )
- Repairing permissions
- Disabling / enabling TM
- Formatting the Drive, and gave it another name as well
- Installing another SMBIOS ( macdotnub )
- the xattr method mentioned in this thread.

What else can I try?
I'm on 10.5.4,
AppleSMBIOS 1.0.13
IONetworkingFamily 1.6.0

edit: my backup drive is in MBR

mitchellkza
04-13-2009, 12:30 PM
The way I solved this "volume could not be found error" is the following:

I use a seagate external drive 150GB (SEA_DISC) for my time machine backups. I originally formatted the original partition on that drive to be Mac OS Extended (Journaled) but time machine would not recognise it. I then went into Disk Utility, selected that drive, went to partition, changed it to 2 partition, then immediately back to 1 partition which then allowed me to click on partition options where I then changed it to GUID partition type, clicked apply and voila, Time Machine could see the drive. I don't think Time Machine likes MBR partitions. Hope this helps you.

My system: iATKOS 5i (10.5.5), Intel Core i7