PDA

View Full Version : SL -> 32bit vs 64bit, kexts, Chameleon2RC2 and banana split with chocolate sprinkles

Gurruwiwi
08-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Hi guys,

I know I've asked this before in the already huge SL install tutorial thread made by SaCleoCheater, but I am 50% away from SL GM and hungry to give it a go, and learn with the process, and help others myself! Please help me get some issues out of the way that I am not grasping...

In WinVista/7... you either go 32 or 64 install and drivers, 32 does not run 64 mode, 64 can run 32 apps if they are properly optimized, with, theoretically, no performance decrease but not harnessing full 64bit power... Cool, dandy!

In SL, you have 32 and 64bit kext, and you can boot in 32 or 64bit mode. Got it. (EDIT: wrong assumption. read below. 64bit kexts are hybrid and can run booting SL 32bit mode)

Questions

1 - if I boot 64bit, will I be able to run 32bit Leo apps (I know some dont... in general?) (EDIT: YES)

2 - Where the heck do you guys find your 64bit kexts? I do need both 32 and 64 right, to have a proper system? (EDIT: No - if you get full 64bit system, it will run 32bit kernel also. If you dont find kext in 64bit, say, for wireless, you have to boot in SL 32bit kernel to access internet)

3 - Is Chameleon 2 RC 2 worth it? Using RC 1 now... Anyone try it? I cant, because my Leo install is 100% based on Chameleon and boot.plist strings for video

4 - I still dont get it if patching DSDT is dangerous or not. I have one already working for Leo.. can I use that for SL?

Please, could we make this a nice noobish-to-64bit-SL walkthrough thread ?

Thanks in advance...

DocShadow
08-14-2009, 06:40 PM
1. Yes .. I've found most big name apps run but stuff like OSX86Tools, LittleSnitch, etc, don't.

2. If you boot 64 then your 32 bit kext are ignored. For example, I have a 32 bit kext for my wireless card so it's not loaded and so I don't have wireless. There's a Russian site that has most of the required kexts.

3. Haven't tried RC2 .... I was under the impression that it did not work. I'll try it when I install 432 later tonight.

4. Yes .... I copied my DSDT from my Leo drive over to my SL drive and everything is OK. The DSDT is machine specific not Leo specific.

I've had more luck with 64 than 32. :D It just means getting the 64 dsmos, decrypt, disabler, etc, files loaded.

The only 64 kext that I have missing at the moment is the one to get my RTL1000 running. Looks like I may have to look to a plist solution.

Gurruwiwi
08-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks Doc!!

I need 2 sets of kexts, 32 and 64, for everything that is hacked, is that it?

Video, Audio, SD card, Wifi (my broadcom in iAtkos 10.5.7 says 3rd party but in ideneb 10.5.5 says native)... hmm... think thats it

dsmos.kext 32 and another 64bit
audio
video etc etc...

So how can you have 2 sets of kexts with the same name in the extensions folder? or extra/extensions/

Please do report on that Rc2 !!

DocShadow
08-14-2009, 07:43 PM
No .... 32 bit kext don't work in 64 bit system but 64 bit kext work in 32 bit system.

I only have one set .... 64 bit kext and I can boot both 32 and 64. If I want 32 bit then I boot using the arch=i386 flag with Chameon 2.

Gurruwiwi
08-14-2009, 08:16 PM
ah!

That is new! I had no idea.

So basically I am looking to get 64bit working right and I am done! That is good to know.

(except, of course, if I have some kext that only works in 32, and if I need to use that, then I boot in 32bit mode)

Ok then, how would I go abouts finding the vodka kext? :D

markswell
08-14-2009, 08:17 PM
r1000 need some change,not only recompiling.
And you are now fully right.
10.6 sdk support kernel extensions x86_64 and i386.
10.5 support only i386.
the people usually say 32 and 64bit,it's true to windows system for example.on windows64 all component have only 64 so 32 run in emulator.
10.6 can ran 32 application(not kext) in 64 mode and no emualtor used.
original 10.6 system application and kext have hybrid x86_64 and i386 so they run in 64 and 32 mode but in 10.6 not 10.5(kernel doesn't understand 64 even hybrid i386&x86_64).
but some apple kext has only i386 in 10.6. I don't know why.
It's possible to slim kext and app in x86_64 arch only then they're 64kext,else it's hybrid.

most old kext from 10.5 still work in 10.6 but they're old.
nalivay poidet.

Gurruwiwi
08-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Ok... progress, I like it :p

Ok, another scenario. I have 10.5.7 working really nice.

Can I instal SL, copy over dsdt.aml from Leo to SL, and simply copy my working nvidia string in boot.plist into SL boot.plist and, in theory, have full native support for my 9600m GT ?

Also, I read somewhere you can recompile a 32bit kext to 64... I have a fairly uncommon ethernet kext... do I have to wait until someone codes it, or can this be done with a script or something?

Superhai
08-15-2009, 11:41 AM
Most "hackintosh" topics working on 10.5 applies to 10.6 as well. And calling 10.6 kexts hybrid is a bit wrong wording. The term is fat binaries and are two separate compiled kexts but in the same binary package. The reason 10.6 kexts do not work in 10.5 is not due to the added 64 bit arch, but because the changes made and sdks and therefore not compatible anymore

Gurruwiwi
08-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Thanks Superhai,

Makes even more sense.

But basically from here I'd like to prepare to install SL, its arriving today :)

Have Leo and Win7 on one HDD... cant wait to get rid of Win7 !!

Is it ok to dual boot SL and Leo with Chameleon 2 rc 1 from same HDD?

Read there are Extra/ folder conflicts between the two... ?

mitchde
08-15-2009, 05:10 PM
i also think so (until now) .
I had also both Leos on same HD and had major problems. Even if added an boot-uuid diffenent in each /extra, chameleon loaded the things always from that volume which as actice for boot, even i selected (F8) the other volume.
I would simple copy each extensions from extra (whcih are differenr between SL +L) into his /S/L/Extensions folder (sure, with chown -R root:wheel for each) and delete each extensions.mkext in /extra.

Gurruwiwi
08-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Will do, thanks!

In the eventuality of having different kexts with same name, is it ok for me to rename one of them, will it still load?

Is there a difference between repairing permissions terminal vs disk utils?

mitchde
08-16-2009, 09:34 AM
I think disk util reapir and commandline repair does the same.

I read about this Chameleon /Extensions problem here and some solution by an added subfolder.
But i dont understand it really, because i dont know how Chameleon exact works (whats loaded from where when )

Scroll down to part of Chameleon install for that ??? about added
sudo mkdir /Extra/AdditionalExtensions folder (for the kexts)

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=464

Gurruwiwi
08-16-2009, 04:00 PM
danke Mitch.

So I installed SL on the partition.

Couldnt help myself and slapped RC2 over RC1. didnt change boot file, Leo install is intact, absolutely no change at all.

In RC1 (and now RC2)
I have never ever felt any difference between having dsdt.aml in Extra folder or in root. I dont even know how how to tell if it doing something or not, I dont think so because I had to string video + kexts, broadcom is 3rd party with kext, ethernet with kext, sd card with kext, BUT bluetooth out the box, and my strange multimedia controller works for audio and the rest of the buttons controll Front Row! Please click on my signature (has picture too) to see it - This is confusing me so much.

in SL:

Installed to blank partition within Leo via OSinstall.mpkg. Didnt reboot. Got latest disabler and dsmos into S/L/E, repaired permissions with disk utils, and it took like 2 second to complete. Will try now with terminal. Copied my Leo's dsdt.aml onto SnowLeo/Extra as it is supposed to be, and the new RC2 boot file from netkas (10.1) which is supposed to be better, but nothing ever changes, cannot boot to Snow whatever flag I choose. Getting KP from "unknown kernel", and its the KP that start with, cpu(0) backtrace bla bla 0FFFFFFFFFFx2 whatever - (took pic, but can upload right now) Anyway, very common, seen it tons before but dont know what gives...

I managed to boot "fine" with 10A380 -