PDA

View Full Version : Snow Leopard Install Kernel Panic After boot Help

tdawgedogg
08-15-2009, 11:46 PM
I followed this guide exactly: http://www.teknojunkie.com/apple/guide-snow-leopard-on-pc-10a421a-10a432-coming-soon/

Everything went perfect until I booted into snow leopard for the first time. I started inputing all the setup stuff and then boom got hit with a power box error thats says basically turn your computer off. Basically its a kernel panic. I booted with debug=0x100 and I got this screenshot that might help someone troubleshoot my problem. Here's the link http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/7231/img5314.jpg

Here is my motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128331

Here is my CPU:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041

My video card is an EVGA 8800 GXT (G80)

I have a leopard install that is working perfectly with this hardware on another hard drive. I hope someone can help me troubleshoot this. Thanks

tdawgedogg
08-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Update: It doesn't work in safe mode

I did get it to work with -x32 flag on boot. I have been running for 15 min now and not kernal panic. So I assume its gotta be something to do with the kexts and 64 compatibility. I would really like to get this working with 64 though so any help would be awesome.

DocShadow
08-16-2009, 12:59 AM
There are quite a few of us having the same problem.

I've been trying to isolate what is causing it without luck.

tdawgedogg
08-16-2009, 02:22 AM
Damn, I thought I was home free with running in 32 bit mode or whatever but about 50 minutes in I got the kernal panic again....ahhhhhh...made me so mad. I thought I had a stable install...Also my sound is not working but I can get a kext for that later I assume.

megavolkan
08-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Exact same problem here!

Successfully installed following the directions on Technojunkie (http://www.teknojunkie.com/apple/guide-snow-leopard-on-pc-10a421a-10a432-coming-soon/). Watched the welcome video, after it system gives random kernel panics. Sometimes during reg. process. With a little effort i was able to reach desktop. But in a minute or two randomly i got kernel panics. Any idea what's goin on?

My board is Gigabyte EP45DQ6. MSI 8800GTS 320MB vga, 4Gigs of ram. I have the famous 10A432 (AKA 10.6 GoldMaster disc)

So ur not alone here :)

megavolkan
08-16-2009, 03:32 PM
BTW: -x32 bootflag gives an immediate kernel panic at the start of gray apple spinning screen

tdawgedogg
08-17-2009, 01:40 AM
The first time i boot into 32 bit mode i got a kernal panic after about an hour or two in. I then replaced the dsdt file with this one ( Quad Core DSDT (http://www.teknojunkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/dsdt1.aml) (Rename to DSDT.aml) I have been running for like 8 hours and it is solid. Also make sure that your sata mode in your bios is set to AHCI because before I did that I was getting a kernal panic before I even got into the OS. I still have no sound and still havent gotten 64 bit mode to work. Also your mobo is a bit different than mine so you can't expect them to act exactly the same. Good luck megavolkan.

tham50
08-17-2009, 02:57 AM
using foreign dsdt files can cause probs as well. always create your own.

funny however that my old machine compared to yours is doing just fine ...

svitale75
08-17-2009, 06:35 AM
[quote=Everything went perfect until I booted into snow leopard for the first time. I started inputing all the setup stuff and then boom got hit with a power box error thats says basically turn your computer off. Basically its a kernel panic. I booted with debug=0x100 and I got this screenshot that might help someone troubleshoot my problem[/quote]

Only 2 things...one of you Kext is causing the issue or more likely your Disk Permissions are screwed.

Either way is easy to repair, remove any Kext that you put in, is very possible that you only need Dsmos so you can remove all the others.

For the Disk persmission repair try KextUtility.

Here is my guide, I hope it helps:

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/how-to-install-os-x-10-6-10a432-t3671/#post31256

megavolkan
08-17-2009, 06:57 AM
Wow! Thanks for so much reply in such a short time :) I'll try all your suggestions.
One thing: tham50 said about creating my own dsdt. How to do that exactly?

Thanks again :)

megavolkan
08-17-2009, 07:01 AM
Either way is easy to repair, remove any Kext that you put in, is very possible that you only need Dsmos so you can remove all the others.

This may sound a little newbieish but you mean the .kext files in the Extra folder created by Chameleon, right? Should i also remove the .mkext file?

proxys
08-17-2009, 09:50 AM
Exact same problem here.

P35DS4 1.0 Bios F14
C2D E6750
4 Go DDR2 800
8800gts 320

i am running leopard for almost two years and it works perfectly (currently running 10.5.8 with Chameleon RC2 + custom DSDT.aml for audio + smbios.plist).

But with the SL GM 10A432 No matter what i do, i get KP when running snow leopard after a couple of minutes (sometimes 10-15-30 minutes). I did not had this problem with WDDC release...

* Kext used : dsmos, openhaltrestart, platfor UUID, NullCPUpowermanagement, IOAHCIblockstorageinjector, LegacyHDA (i tried with only dsmos and a DSDT.aml but KP again)

I tried differents things which does not solve the problem
*PC_EFI v9, v10, v10.1 v10.2
*Disabling OC
*Using several custom DSDT (with or without gfx/ethernet/audio)
*Removed some kexts (but I don't think it's a kext issue)...

DocShadow
08-17-2009, 01:19 PM
One thing: tham50 said about creating my own dsdt. How to do that exactly?

Run DSDT Patcher GUI on the the same system on which you will be using the dsdt.aml.

megavolkan
08-17-2009, 02:31 PM
Run DSDT Patcher GUI on the the same system on which you will be using the dsdt.aml.

I have a working Leo and non-working SnowLeo on the same hardware. If i use DSDT Patcher Gui does it harm my working Leo? Or anything i should know before trying?

DocShadow
08-17-2009, 02:45 PM
No.

It does not change your system; it creates a folder with the necssary files.

You can take the dsdt file and copy it to whereever you want.

megavolkan
08-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Thank you all but... You know, it wants to play hard, as usual, kernel panics still going on and on.

First i've created my own dsdt and nothing changed. KP'd on the first registration screen.
Then i've tried removing all kexts but dsmos, it KP'd again immediately after seeing gray apple logo.

Yeah i think it is kexts but i think i need very spesific kexts which will come in time... i suppose. And keep ur comments coming, thanks :)

pharoleta
08-18-2009, 06:01 AM
Same exact problem here. When it started playing the intro I was so excited, but then BOOM!

And if I restart, it panics in a matter of seconds.

Whatever workaround you find, will probably also work with my system (and probably many others). So let's try and get this fixed.

I've been trying to fix this for 6 hours , to no avail :(
Any help is greatly appreciated.

OG-Phantom
08-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Same exact problem here. When it started playing the intro I was so excited, but then BOOM!

And if I restart, it panics in a matter of seconds.

Whatever workaround you find, will probably also work with my system (and probably many others). So let's try and get this fixed.

I've been trying to fix this for 6 hours , to no avail :(
Any help is greatly appreciated.

If you boot into safe mode (-x kernel flag) you should be able to get to the desktop long enough to repair the extensions permissions (use kext utility for that) and repair the disk permissions (if you installed from within leopard 10.5 this will fail with the no installer packages error). Browse the other threads and you will see the workarounds that have popped up.

Snow
08-18-2009, 01:13 PM
-x32 bit m8, seems like the only solution so far. I've been in 32bit + 30 mins without panics so...

I think its mobo related as some will need more kexts to run. I've got a feeling my GA-P35-DS3P needs proper kexts for 64bit.

I wonder if I should do another install from within SL, I highly doubt it will fix the panics though?

Snow
08-18-2009, 01:31 PM
Just tried x64 safe mode again, here some facts:

- Kext Utility repair permissions WORKS
- Rebuild Extensions.mkext FAILS
- Spotlight does not work (is that safe mode related?)
- In Terminal sudo -s WORKS wihout package or other error

I got another panic when trying to repair permissions with terminal. I also havent checked disk utility for the package error. Will check now as last test for today.

Update: Alright, repair permissions works within Disk Utility but got another panic before it finished. No more UUID, Packages or other errors though. This is tested in safe mode (because panics happen a lot faster in normal boot)

I'm out of ideas for 64bit though so for now back to my old trusty 10.5.8

megavolkan
08-18-2009, 06:46 PM
I was able to get to desktop using -x boot flag. Then i tried to open safari, it started showed a complete black window then i had a kernel panic again.
Something that i realized was there were no hdd icons on desktop, only cd icon. I opened my home folder via finder icon and saw that my disks (at the left pane) were all external type disk icons. I ran the system in AHCI mode btw. Any suggestions?

pharoleta
08-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Did you run Kext Utility after you booted with -x?

Also, I think Snow Leopard by default doesn't show your drives on your desktop. I have it installed on my Macbook and I can only see my Volumes in Finder.

DocShadow
08-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Also, I think Snow Leopard by default doesn't show your drives on your desktop. I have it installed on my Macbook and I can only see my Volumes in Finder.

Yes ... I can only see my 'external' drives/partitions ... which are the drives/partitions that I did not boot from.

megavolkan
08-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Woohoo, this must be a breakthrough! After using KextUtility i could use SnowLeo about... ummm.. 2 minutes :P At least i got rid of the registration steps.

Btw my disks are green colored with little papercut men on them. What is this?

And i cannot take screenshots using Cmd+Shift+4. It does not save the files at least on desktop.

Then i tried a normal boot (without kernel flags) and Boom! KP right away.. I wanted to take my chances :)

I think i need some Gigabyte spesific SL kexts, which will arrive in time

Snow
08-19-2009, 08:00 AM
No luck here either m8 with x64.

The screenshots are probably related to safe mode (-x)
Spotlight also doesnt work in safe mode (I think thats normal)

Snow
08-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Alright

I still have the 64bit panics but 32bit seems to run fine (I'm writing this in x32)

I noticed though that sys profiler lists CPU speed at 4GHz & FSB at 1,33. Is this another misspelling like we have with our leopard installs (fixed with osx86tool or smbios) or is this for real because it is in fact running at that speed then no wonder we're having kernel panics.
Why not in 32bit then? well maybe because 32bit doesnt tax the system that much, I have no idea.

I have the quad overclocked to 3GHz (333x9 ram divider 2,40 so 800 MHz)

Any input on this lads? Thx

Update: this is what CPU-X has to say about it.

http://a.imagehost.org/0314/Blimey.png (http://a.imagehost.org/view/0314/Blimey)

Geekbench:

http://a.imagehost.org/0116/Geekbench.png (http://a.imagehost.org/view/0116/Geekbench)

DocShadow
08-19-2009, 12:53 PM
I've notice that the Mac and Tools misreport my computer info in SL.

Not quite sure what is going on but some of it may be due to 'Turbo' mode (or whatever it called in your BIOS) or to the Tools not being optimized for SL.

Other than that my build runs normally. Now that I have a stable 32 bit build I'm going to OC to see what she can do.

Snow
08-19-2009, 01:28 PM
Alright an important update to note here:

32bit works but when I try to do another install within SL I get a panic in the installation process, mostly before it even starts installing files, sometimes even when deselcting printer files (in custom)

So I suggest you guys try the same and report back.

Conclusion so far on my rig: 32 & 64 bit are not stable. Back to my 10.5.8 install :/

DocShadow
08-19-2009, 02:17 PM
Not here .... I've done a ton of SL installs from a SL 380 and have not had any problem installing once I was told to deselect all except the main program (you can't deselect it anyways :-/ ) from the customize screen.

32/64 bit 380 is rock solid and easy to install so I've been using it as my 'base' system.

32 bit 432 ... still out for testing

64 bit 432 .... haven't played with it yet.

Snow
08-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Just did another reinstall from within Leopard, then trying another Snow Install from within Snow, same stuff, kernel panics when installing.

And again "No Packages for this Disk" issue with permission.

lancelotu
08-19-2009, 03:59 PM
I followed this guide exactly: http://www.teknojunkie.com/apple/guide-snow-leopard-on-pc-10a421a-10a432-coming-soon/

Everything went perfect until I booted into snow leopard for the first time. I started inputing all the setup stuff and then boom got hit with a power box error thats says basically turn your computer off. Basically its a kernel panic. I booted with debug=0x100 and I got this screenshot that might help someone troubleshoot my problem.

To solve the -x64 kextcache problem :

boot with this flags : -x64 -s (single user mode)

fsck -fy /Volumes/yourrootvolume

when finishes :

/sbin/mount -uw / ( to mount your root volume)

then :

kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

This will create an Extensions.mkext
write that down unless you have two computers ;)

proxys
08-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Finally KP are totally gone with SL 10A432 for me !
I followed this guide -> http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=464

First tweak your bios as described disable parallel and serial port
Chown 0:0 your Snow partition
Install SL directly from Leopard or an old SL install (probably the best thing to do if you can)
Install Efi v9
Install Bootsnow file in /
Install the 4 important extensions (dsmos, NullCPUPowerManagement.kext, PlatformUUID.kext, OpenHaltRestart.kext in S/L/E (you will need latest dsmos from netkas, the dsmos flie on the page is outdated)
Add Gfx strings in com.Apple.boot.plist in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration
Install generic dsdt.aml in / (and edit for gigabyte cmos fix, later you can tweak your DSDT for adding ALC889/ALC888 and ethernet)

Reboot on Snow disk and follow SL assistant. Your are now running SL in 32bits

In the guide author stated that you also need to Reboot with -s and use
mount -uw /
kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

see lancelotu post for more info

Reboot again
Install Chameleon (the installer failed for me but anyway chameleon seems to be installed)
then use the last command in the guide to move all needed files in /Extra/ and in /Extra/AdditionalExtensions/
Don't forget the smbios.plist file with correct UUID

Later If you want to install third party kext just put them in /Extra/AdditionalExtensions/ Then use chown -R root:wheel /Extra/AdditionalExtensions/

(Personally, i added LegacyHDA.kext (allow dsdt injection for audio) and the famous ioahciblockstorageinjector.kext )
Then Create the Extensions.mkext for Chameleon
sudo kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /Extra/Extensions.mkext /Extra/AdditionalExtensions /System/Library/Extensions

Evertything should work, you might just resinstall bsd.pkg to correct the repair permission bug in diskutility (or install the whole thing a second time on another drive).
With this method you should be able boot 64bits kernel without any problem

I have just one Issue, my mouse cursor remains blue, but for trying SL it's does not matter.

Snow
08-19-2009, 08:57 PM
To solve the -x64 kextcache problem :

boot with this flags : -x64 -s (single user mode)

fsck -fy /Volumes/yourrootvolume

when finishes :

/sbin/mount -uw / ( to mount your root volume)

then :

This will create an Extensions.mkext
write that down unless you have two computers ;)

Just tried this to fix my KP but i get this after typing fsck -fy /Volumes/Snow in -x64 -s:

/Volumes/Snow is not a character device

/Volumes/Snow (NO WRITE)

CANNOT READ: BLK 16

The Following disk sectors could not be read: 16 , goes on with number

iotcl: Inappropriate iotl for device

fsck: could not read label

Then I tried kextcache a few times with different commands, at first i got NO WORK TO DO error but it worked in the end after mount -uw (or other commands)

Booted into x64 and KP after a few secs (was during repairing permissions in disk utility this time)

I'll try Proxys methos tomorow

Snow
08-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Reinstalled (for the 20th time maybe)

Let me share with you my exact steps:

- In Leopard 10.5.8 open terminal and type: chown 0:0 /Volumes/Snowx64 (in my case because I have another Snow installed which I'm typing from)
- Mount Install dmg
- Terminal: Open OS Install package
- Install on Snowx64 partition
- Install EFI v9 (chamelon v1012)
- Place Boot file in root
- Place pacthed dsdt file in root
- Move dsmos, NullCPUPowerManagement, PlatforumUUI (edited with proper uuid) & OpenHaltRestart kexts into S/L/E
- Replace com.apple.boot.plist with gfx string plist
- Reboot
- use -x64 -s to boot

Now come sthe fun part

fsck -fy /Volumes/Snowx64 (no such file or dir)

/sbin/mount -uw / (hfs: created HFBT on Snowx64)

- kextcache -v 1 -t -l etc.... command

On all 4 kext that I moved in before I get these errors:

kext is not authentic: ommiting from mkext

Authentication faillures: File owner permissions are incorrect (must be root:wheel)

Then when typing exit

fsck not done

root device is mounted read only

- exit again got me out of all the bloody errors and booted

KP occured with registration process so again no go.

Any input lads, thx

proxys
08-19-2009, 10:27 PM
On all 4 kext that I moved in before I get these errors:

kext is not authentic: ommiting from mkext

Authentication faillures: File owner permissions are incorrect (must be root:wheel)

I also had this "problem"
Just take ownership of files and it should work
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

Good Luck

PS The author of the original guide never mentions the fsck -fy command thing so i think you can just skip this step

DocShadow
08-20-2009, 12:21 AM
From my testing of 64 bit .....

NullCPUPowerManagement causes a KP when I get to the desktop.

Disabler will cause a KP as it's loading.

Appledecrypt causes a KP in both 32 and 64 as it's loading.

You're beating your head against a wall :-! .... but I'm interested to see if you have any success :cool:

pharoleta
08-20-2009, 12:53 AM
YES! YES! I got it working! Fully (almost) working Snow Leopard!
I followed the same guide as people post it above (http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=464)
And thanks to Proxys, I got rid of the "No packages installed" Disk Utility bug by installing BSD.pkg from the same folder where you opened OSInstall.mpg to install SL.
64 bit works fine.

A few notes:

- NO MATTER HOW I TRIED, I ALWAYS had KP's and just couldn't get SL to work if I installed Snow Leopard in the same Drive as my Leopard (but in different partitions, of course). As soon as I installed SL to a separate drive, all my troubles went away.
-The DSMOS.kext in the guide is outdated, just google dsmos netkas in Google to download the most recent version.
- Had Airport running out of the box, but now it's not working anymore. I don't care though, because I only use wired. (Had to edit AppleYukon2.kext to get my wired internet working)
- I'm still a noob, I don't know how to do certain things :-| I wasn't able to install VoodooHDA for audio but I have an old and trustworthy driver file since Tiger era that still works (2 channel only, but that's what I use anyway)
- Apple's implementation of V-Sync does not like my 8800GTS. Graphics is all choppy when miniming or maximizing. So I installed QuartzSimple from here (http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcrazypigeon.com%2FQuartzSimple.dm g) . Then I opened it, went to "Tools > Show BeamSync Tools > Disable Beam Sync" and my graphics is smooooooooooooth as butter now (but QuartzSimple needs to be open all the time, I just hide it from the dock)

I'm not an expert but I'll try my best to help people here with the stuff I know and learned throughout the process.

Thanks to EVERYONE in this amazing forum :-)

DocShadow
08-20-2009, 01:39 AM
pharoleta .... are you sure you have 64 bit enable.

When you go to About This Mac - More Info - Software does it say Yes for 64-bit Kernel and Extensions?

If so I'd be interested in knowing the kexts you installed and where you downloaded them from.

Thanks

megavolkan
08-20-2009, 07:36 AM
@pharoleta:
What is your system spesifics anyway? (Mobo, gfx etc..)

Snow
08-20-2009, 12:38 PM
After trying all the different methods I came to the conclusion this is THE method for installing SL. There are a few things I had to do my own way though but I will post a guide later today.

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-installing-snow-10a432-on-g31m-es2l-t3672/

!!!INSTALL FROM USB STICK OR USB DRIVE!!! (internal HD partition did not work for me)

No Packages or permissions issues from the start and you have installed SL via SL enviroment and not Leopard Enviroment.

If you are already going for it, do a lot of repair permissions after install (prefereably in 32bit, even safe mode) because it will fix a lot of kexts issues in S/L/E.

I have another Leopard install on the first partition so that has no effect at all.

http://a.imagehost.org/0842/64bit.png (http://a.imagehost.org/view/0842/64bit)

Ja = Yes

1:43 = stable ;)

Good luck!

DocShadow
08-20-2009, 12:55 PM
Good to hear that Snow.

It would be useful if you listed your basic kexts that you used to get it up and runnning on you board.

Snow
08-20-2009, 02:24 PM
I think after >6 hours it's safe to say the OS is stable in 64bit. Now on to apps compability etc...

http://a.imagehost.org/0764/Uptime.png (http://a.imagehost.org/view/0764/Uptime)

Guide is up lads!

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-install-snow-leopard-from-usb-stick-drive-t3705/