PDA

View Full Version : DVD drive not detected...

BeSweeet
08-23-2009, 07:25 PM
My DVD drive isn't being detected. I'm using slic's latest IOATAFamily.kext file from this post: http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/appleintelpiixata-ioata-panic-t3543/post31641.html

Any ideas??

macxuser33
08-23-2009, 11:35 PM
I had ot use the origonal IOATAFamily.kext from leo 10.5.8 s oas to get my ide`s my dvd however is sata and is detected fine

BeSweeet
08-24-2009, 12:36 AM
Well, if I don't use that kext I posted above, I'll get a kernel panic.

I'll live without it for now.

OG-Phantom
08-25-2009, 09:08 AM
Well, if I don't use that kext I posted above, I'll get a kernel panic.

I'll live without it for now.

Is your burner IDE or SATA? And what port is it hooked up to (I think I remember you having a similar board to mine Asus P5K series, no?). I have my IDE burner hooked up to the jmicron controller and it is working fine. My USB sony burner is also working ok OOB. This is one of the reasons I am holding on to my IDE burner, there are soooo many problems with SATA burners (even in winbloze).

BeSweeet
08-25-2009, 01:15 PM
It's a laptop...

I took the drive out and it looks like SATA.

People who bash Windows just don't know how to avoid slowdowns or virus'.

If Leopard wasn't around, I'd be perfectly happy with Windows.

I'm only using Leopard because it has a little nicer interface.

vista00
08-25-2009, 01:57 PM
It's a laptop...

Do you explain...More information please.

BeSweeet
08-25-2009, 04:17 PM
What more do you want to know?

OG-Phantom
08-25-2009, 08:35 PM
It's a laptop...

If Leopard wasn't around, I'd be perfectly happy with Windows.

Do you know what chipset your laptop has? That might lead you into the direction of the kext you need to modify or find a "fixed" version of. Also, I don't bash or hate windows that much (I have ran windows from 3.11 to Vista and I had enough at Vista that I switched back to Mac OS [ I had a 512K original mac back in the day, and I still have my Gigabit MDD G4 ]). I know how to optimize systems and run a virus program. That's not my issue with Windows. It goes much beyond that (constant registry issues, BSODs, etc. etc.). If it wasn't for Mac OS, Windows wouldn't be around. All of us would still be at a C:> prompt.

BeSweeet
08-25-2009, 08:37 PM
It's the Intel ICHx chipset. I already got netkas's updated kext and his latest fakesmc.kext. Has never been detected.

Speak for yourself. I have had ZERO problems with Vista and Windows 7. XP was the total opposite. But let's stay on track :D.

OG-Phantom
08-25-2009, 08:57 PM
It's the Intel ICHx chipset. I already got netkas's updated kext and his latest fakesmc.kext. Has never been detected.

Speak for yourself. I have had ZERO problems with Vista and Windows 7. XP was the total opposite. But let's stay on track :D.

Is the drive ok in Leopard? Or does it have the same issues? In SL does it work in 32bit and not 64bit?

And, let's agree to disagree on Windows :D

BeSweeet
08-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Works just fine in Leopard.

I can't agree with that :D.

OG-Phantom
08-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Works just fine in Leopard.

I can't agree with that :D.

Hmmm. Have you tried swapping in kexts from Leopard and booting SL in 32bit mode?

LOL :D

BeSweeet
08-25-2009, 09:03 PM
I don't know what kexts to switch.

OG-Phantom
08-25-2009, 09:09 PM
I don't know what kexts to switch.

I would try IOATAFamily.kext from Leopard first. Then maybe IOStorageFamily.kext and lastly IOAHCIFamily.kext. Does your DVD drive have a AHCI option? I don't have a SATA burner, so I am ignorant on them. If it does and you have it turned on, try turning the AHCI off for it.

Remember to set the -x32 or arch=x86 during boot. Also, when swapping those in, I would run the kextutility and then repair permissions on the SL drive before rebooting (to rule out the KP from bad permissions).

BeSweeet
08-26-2009, 12:35 AM
Is that safe? I'm already using a custom IOATAFamily.kext file from slic, so I don't know.

OG-Phantom
08-26-2009, 02:43 AM
Is that safe? I'm already using a custom IOATAFamily.kext file from slic, so I don't know.

If you use the kext helper b7 (i believe is the version #), it will create a backup folder and if something breaks, you can go in your leo install and replace the kext from there (using osx86tools), boot backinto SL in safe mode, and repair the kext cache and repair permissions, reboot, no harm done. I have done alot of moving kexts around and even caused SL to KP during boot, but nothing that couldn't be fixed easy.

EDIT: Or you can wait for slice to update his kexts. I can't say that using leo kexts will work. Some have reported success, but, I haven't tried it myself.

BeSweeet
08-26-2009, 04:55 AM
It worked :).

Do I have to boot with arch=x86? Everything seems to be working (except for shutdown/restart & wifi).

bofors
08-27-2009, 11:53 PM

Oh please...

Whatever...

BeSweeet
08-28-2009, 12:00 AM
Your posts were completely off topic. Get outta here.

Back to my problem: I was having problems with the Leopard kexts, so I restored my backups and, as expected, my DVD drive isn't working. I'm just not gonna worry about it.

OG-Phantom
08-28-2009, 05:45 PM
It worked :).

Do I have to boot with arch=x86? Everything seems to be working (except for shutdown/restart & wifi).

So you got your drive working now? Two posts down I see a post from you that your drive isn't working and your not going to worry about it???

If you use leopard kexts, yes you will need to boot in arch=x86 or -x32 because the leopard kexts are 32bit only.

What you can do to 100% working DVD drive no matter what is to get a USB one (same reason I got mine, I use to have a nforce based board that didn't like to boot the OSX disks from the internal dvd drive, so I got a USB one).

But to be honest, I don't boot the 64bit kernel myself. Some stuff doesn't want to work with it, so I'm just sticking with 32bit. I don't notice any speed difference myself....

EDIT: Restart and Shutdown are being difficult with me too...

BeSweeet
08-28-2009, 05:50 PM
It worked without having to boot with arch=x86 or -x32, but I was having other problems so I'm just not gonna worry about it. I never use my DVD drive anyway.