PDA

View Full Version : Questions asked before installing SL

vladrxpx
09-01-2009, 03:02 AM
Hi!

I thank you in advance for taking your time reading and/or answering my questions.

As you may have noticed, i want to install SL, but fist I need to be sure. I think others who want to give it a try need to know this kind of things..
I've read the guide thread, but still i have questions that i could not find answers to..

Here are my questions..

1. Is this build 10A432 the final version of SL, will everything work as on the real thing? is my vanilla kernel still going to work?
2. Will files installed on my current 10.5.7/8 be deleted after 10.6. install ? Can I use them, or do I have to install every app again?
3. If I install SL on one partition, and theres already another osx (10.5.) on one other part.(same HD) can I go ahead and delete the original one i used ? (10.5.)
4. In short, what is DSDT ? I already have a working 10.5. osx and I never heard of this before..
5. Do I have to apply the same kexts I used for 10.5. for my hardware all over again? (used iPC distro)
6. Do I really have to bother with efi strings for my graphics (for x64) or is there an NVinject driver..?

and finally, most important of all..

7. Will there be a simple distro that uses a clean install with kexts (is it attainable?) or is this the only way SL is going to work... for me, this is all rocket science..i have doubts about it on my pc(the guide), because everyone's got different hardware, different bootloaders, different partitioning...

to make things a bit clearer, i have GA-P35-DS3R;Core2Duo E6550;9800GT 512mb; 4 gb RAM; 10.5.7 , used iPC, updated with vanilla..

Again, thanks in advance, for your knowledge and patience..
hope someone clears this up for me, and others..

x986123
09-01-2009, 03:16 AM
1. Yes, Yes

2. You can use some, files will stay (if on a different partition) Install all apps to ensure full support.

3. You can delete 10.5 if it DOESN'T have the bootloader (install on the 10.6)

4. DSDT is need to get all cores working. In all likeliness, you wont need it if it works without it on 10.5. I think CORE i7 needs it like mine.

5. NO! Use the Snow leopard 32/64 bit kexts.

6. EFI strings! They work best and there is no 64 bit injectors yet! EFI strings are easy with EFI studio.

7. Try it, no harm done. Distro? Not an official one yet. Don't worry, it was the first time I installed OSX without a distro. Took two days but got it all working!

Any more questions?