PDA

View Full Version : Install boot kernel panic with AppleNForceATA

kristouf
02-20-2008, 02:44 PM
Hi all,

I am a kind of newbie on MaxOS but I wanted to install the Zephyroth Leopard 10.5.2 AMD on my PC.
I previously install with success Tiger, but I really want to install Leopard (it is what I have on my MacBookPro).
When I boot from the DVD using the -v option, it stops quickly with a kernel crashes about AppleNForceATA.
My config:
Motherboard: ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (SSE2)
RAM: 1.5GB DDR PC3200
CHIPSET: NFORCE3
HDD: 130Go IDE for XP, 700Go SATA for Data and 230Go SATA for MacOSX
VIDEO: NVIDIA QUADRO FX 2000 on AGP

Does the AppleNForceATA.kext is the right one for my config? Is it the last one or could I try to update it in my ISO?
Can I change something in the BIOS to prevent the crash?

Thanks for you help, KrisT@uF.

PS: by the way, any chance to have the FX 2000 working in dual-head? What driver should I use?

peppi
02-23-2008, 09:05 PM
.... same with me:

<a href="http://osx.kbot.de/comments.php?DiscussionID=358&page=1#Item_0">ata</a>

maclinux
02-23-2008, 11:31 PM
Your problem is the NForceATA.kext.
I have a similar MB (KN8) and this is what worked for me.
Go to:

http://osx86.wikidot.com/known-issues#toc10

Following the instructions there, DELETE the AppleNForceATA.kext, rebuild ISO and reburn. When you get to the installer, DON'T choose the AppleNForceATA.kext under the drivers section. Choose the AppleVIAATA.kext and it should install nicesely.
If you can, set apart a small partition for restoring the DVD, that way you will not waste DVDs experimenting.
Good luck! :-D

Tankk
02-25-2008, 12:52 AM
what about nf4? on abit nf-m2s

maclinux
02-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Why don't you try replacing the AppleNforceATA.kext with the the AppleVIAATA.kext during installation as I suggested in my previous post?
Unfortunately I don't have a nforce4 chip MB, so you will have to try it out yourself.
Good luck! :-)

edit: that is, if you get to the installer...if you're not, try the whole procedure. I also read that the previous version of Medevil's AppleNforceATA.kext (1.0.2 I think) works. But i can't find it, so I can't confirm it works on my nforce3.

Daron
02-26-2008, 04:37 AM
and how do you replace it during installation?

maclinux:Why don't you try replacing the AppleNforceATA.kext with the the AppleVIAATA.kext during installation as I suggested in my previous post?
Unfortunately I don't have a nforce4 chip MB, so you will have to try it out yourself.
Good luck! :-)

maclinux
02-26-2008, 07:35 AM
Easy, as I explained in my previous post: in the installer customization options under drivers you just uncheck AppleNforceATA option and check the AppleVIAATA option.

Daron
02-26-2008, 09:59 AM
well no, you see. the AppleNforceATA is what is stopping us from even getting to an installer where we can make those selections.

when the system is booting up to get to the installation program it stops and gives the errors stated in my inital post.

it needs to be taken off of my install disk or i need to modify some script. a script that decides which kext should be used when encountering a system like mine. i need to make it load AppleViaATA, instead.

so like i said how do i swap out the AppleNforceATA (this has to be done before i can get to an installation screen.)

NickG5
02-26-2008, 10:51 AM
@maclinux

I am having similar startup problems with an MSI k8N-neo2 nforce3 chipset.

Right now I am trying to repackage extensions.mkext without AppleNforceATA, however the instructions in the wiki do not explain how to batch change the file permissions so that kextcache
will work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally I had to add the line -a i386 to mkextunpack to get it to even unpack extensions, was this correct?

eddie11c
02-26-2008, 10:54 AM
You will have to unpack the Extensions.mkext to remove AppleNforce. There is a guide on the wiki that covers making a new one.

Daron
02-26-2008, 01:51 PM
is there a program that allows you to unpack extensions.mkext under windows, i do not own a mac.

eddie11c:You will have to unpack the Extensions.mkext to remove AppleNforce. There is a guide on the wiki that covers making a new one.

NickG5
02-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Ya, maclinux provided the link which I am really grateful for. But on my G5 10.4.11 system the mkextunpack command as it is written on the wiki results in an error. I had to add the option -a i386 to even get the mkext to extract, which I am not sure if this was the correct archive choice, but since it is later used in the kextcache command I thought it would be.

Next, in the wiki unfortunately there is no command to fix the file permissions before remaking the kext. When I try to remake extensions.mkext with kextcache pointing to the folder I previously unpacked extensions.mkext in (after removinf AppleNforceATA) I get all sorts of *.kext is not correct, check permission...

Thus I am thinking I need to reset the permissions before repacking, but I don't know how to do this for a batch folder.

Any clues?
Thanks

kristouf
03-14-2008, 05:40 PM
maclinux:Your problem is the NForceATA.kext.
I have a similar MB (KN8) and this is what worked for me.
Go to:

http://osx86.wikidot.com/known-issues#toc10

Following the instructions there, DELETE the AppleNForceATA.kext, rebuild ISO and reburn. When you get to the installer, DON'T choose the AppleNForceATA.kext under the drivers section. Choose the AppleVIAATA.kext and it should install nicesely.
If you can, set apart a small partition for restoring the DVD, that way you will not waste DVDs experimenting.
Good luck! :-D

Long time ago, I did not have the time to tried again since. But here it comes, some news of my Leopard install:
I did what you said (remove the AppleNForceATA.kext) and it works!!!
Thanks a lot

KrisT@uF

PS: If I use the nvidia driver provided in the DVD I have a blank screen, what I did is: do not install any graphic driver during install, do a first boot, and then manually install nvidia driver and it works with accelerated hardware. But no dual head for now :(
PS2: still some freeze during networking of big files :( any clue about this nforce3 lan driver????

maclinux
03-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Hey Kriss, glad it worked!
I think it will be easier to fix with the new DVD (rev2), because it has an extensions folder instead of a package.
I haven't tried it but, but i suppose if you open the ISO file with any Windows ISO processing program, you can just delete the AppleNforceATA.kext in the extensions folder.
Good luck to all!