PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Snow Leopard Install w/o 10.5.x

drossxyu
09-04-2009, 08:45 PM
I just finished building a machine ( my first build ever - from scratch ) based on the GigabyteG31M-ES2L and I'm having a hard time deciding on how I should approach installing OSX. I don't own Snow Leopard yet, but I do have a 10.6.7 install disc that came with my Macbook Pro. I'm assuming the Leopard disc I have is only good for one license, of which I am already using.

Is it possible to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard (the $30 'upgrade) without having to install Leopard first? I'd like to avoid shelling out another ~$130 for another copy of Leopard ( On top of the $30 upgrade ).

Most of the guides I've come across seem to require a previous installation, although this one (http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build-a-hackintosh-with-snow-leopard-start-to-finish)makes me believe it is indeed possible.

xXrkidXx
09-04-2009, 08:56 PM
i hope you mean 10.5.7 disc lol, no install Leopard. otherwise you can't get the $30 update disc(i think it needs to have the base files) Install the disc and then go buy Snow Leopard.

drossxyu
09-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Haha.. woops. 10.5.7, i meant. I'd like to get this up and running this weekend if possible. Do you think the apple store still sells Leopard standalone? Best Buy doesn't seem to sell it (although they have Snow Leopard) and nor does Apple's online store.

xXrkidXx
09-04-2009, 09:23 PM
you have a 10.5.7 disc though. you could TRY to install it before spending money.

drossxyu
09-04-2009, 09:28 PM
I'll give it a try. I'm used to installing windows and just assumed that there would be a serial number conflict of some sort, but perhaps If I upgrade it to Snow Leopard before ever connecting to the internet it'll somehow workout.

xXrkidXx
09-04-2009, 09:42 PM
haha no apple wouldnt screw you like winblows.

Taisto
09-04-2009, 10:27 PM
Is it possible to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard (the $30 'upgrade) without having to install Leopard first? I'd like to avoid shelling out another ~$130 for another copy of Leopard ( On top of the $30 upgrade ).

Yes it is possible. You can upgrade Leopard with it, as well as Tiger - and even a fresh install. the only thing which prevents you from doing it is that it violates the license...but well, installing it on PC does violate it anyway ;)