PDA

View Full Version : Horror Story with windows and mac! Great Ending!

x986123
09-07-2009, 06:32 AM
Ok so, I was going into Windows 7 after using Snow leopard, and installed a theme, but modded explorer.exe. Little did I know it was a 32 bit mod and I had a 64 bit Win 7. I reboot only to find it wont boot. I put in the DVD, do a repair, and it AUTO does a startup repair, NO!!! I boot into OSX, and Boot errors. No fix! I had snow leopard and installing a regular Chameleon RC1 from a disk wouldn't work.

Luckily, 10 minutes before Windows committed the crime of "Start Up repair", I use Carbon Copy Cloner to back up Snow Leopard (Full Disk image) I remembered that, and proceeded to install Leopard iPC to install Chameleon RC1 with PCEFI, all turning out a bit rough, booting into Snow Leopard backup (slow, small HDD) and proceeded to Clone it to the Fast 1TB HDD I have. After all this, it wouldn't boot. Kernel panic. Turns out every kext I had in E/E FAILED! I had to reinstall all 5 of them, and its all working! And faster then ever! With all my settings and applications I had before.

Now thats a great ending, what do you think of my story?

"Windows is so lonely, it tries to destroy Mac. Mac never even attempted to damage its rival." - x986123

Gurruwiwi
09-11-2009, 01:18 AM
Yes, I can attest to that.

After installing SL I used CCC to make an image before tweaking, had to restore (several times) and SL is clearly faster! Repairing permissions when altering kexts does take less that 40 seconds, booting is quicker, shutdown too.

When restoring, if you format or repartition your drives (even for 1 partition) make sure to take note of the new UUID. Restore image and it should mount on the desktop. Copy the Extra folder to your Leo desktop and delete it from root of SL (and boot.ini depending on your setup), install Chameleon 2 (I use rc3, so I use the boot.ini that comes with it, not the old one). It will make a new Extra Folder for SL and a boot file. Delete both. Edit smbios.plist, com.apple.Boot.plist and PlatformUUID.kext, replacing with new UUID, from SL Extra folder on your Leo desktop. Copy it back to root of SL.

I usually reboot in -x32 first time. Its know to be "safer".

As soon as you boot, run Kext Utility and repair permissions.

Then open terminal and type any command. if you seen this line

dyld: shared cached file was build against a different libSystem.dylib, ignoring cache

run this command

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force

enter password and let it run. Supposibly, 10.6.1 fixes this issue, but I have fixed it already so I dont know.

Reboot and you should get to KP's whatsoever.