PDA

View Full Version : [SOLUTION] - For all having Audio not working! (mainly voodooHDA)

Gurruwiwi
09-11-2009, 12:01 AM
Hi everyone!

I managed to fix my audio. Went through hell, and even others went there for me. dsdt, appleHDA patching etc etc... To them, a warm hand of applause, this community is simply fantastic!

It finally came down to not properly understanding basic concepts of this wonderful OS, and the way we go round it to make our PC's work.

The solution is idiotically simple, nevertheless, I hope many will benefit, as it is so simple it is easily overseen.

Millions of kexts and repaired permissions, when installing to E/E repiared using kext tools, not knowing ALL kexts are cached in E/, including S/L/E kexts !! So when I touched S/L/E, I never ran Kext Utility. I noticed that, differently from Leo, mkext file was not in root of S/L ! I had noticed it was in Extra folder, but I thought it was only for the set inside THAT folder!!

So delete ALL your audio kexts, download voodooHDA 64 (in my case) repair perms in disk utility, run Kext Utility to rebuild mkext, reboot, and audio is fully working. I dont know if this will helo with appleHDA patching, but I suspect it does as I had seriously randomized erratic behaviour and port mapping.

So try it out, and tell me if it works. So will I as I haven't rebooted yet (cloning drive hehe), but since its a "simple" voodoo kext and no extra, I believe I fixed this damn thing...

:D

mormegil
09-11-2009, 12:13 AM

SL mkext is located at /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

Gurruwiwi
09-11-2009, 12:25 AM
It aliiiiiiive !! :p ergo, survived reboot.

Morm, thanks for the update, and I really do take my hat off to you, even though we did have a bump. C'mon, for sure there are others out there that have yet to grasp these concepts, and if my n00bness helps others, lets have a n00b-fest, with music!! :cool:

In Leo, to S/L/E, I only ever repaired perms and never had an issue. Since 10.5.2

This sort of info trickles down from people who know best, to middle "league" to little league if you will. And dozens of posts and threads later, it was a simple case of under-the-nose syndrome.

Now, where did I put that Metric Halo ...? :p

DocShadow
09-11-2009, 02:10 AM
I use Kext Utility any time I make any changes. SL seems very finicky and I find I get less KP's doing it this way.

I've also gotten away from using E/E to store custom kexts .... I put all my custom kexts in S/L/E as I have had too much 'funny' stuff when they are in E/E. I just identify them with a different colour and make copies in case an update makes a change.