PDA

View Full Version : Can't format to HFS+

7th
01-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Hy yall!

I'm installing the Zephyroth Leopard rev 1, but I'm stuck in the same problem as always.

I tried Tiger and another Leopard version and everything goes well until I try to format my particion (active with MBR) with disk utility. It always says "preparing to erase" and this message stay for a long time (hours if I leave it) and nothing but an error, "if an error shows", occurs.

I think that the problem is my motherboard with nforce5 (I think it's not supported yet).

My config is:
Motherboard: Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
Chipset: nVidia nForce 590 SLI, AMD Hammer
Sound Onboard: Analog Devices AD 1988B @ nVidia nForce 590 SLI - HD Audio Controller
Processor: DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 5200+ Windsor
Memory: 2048 MB (2x 1024 DDR2-800 SDRAM)
Graphic: GeForce 8600 GT - Pci-E
Hard Drive: Samsung HD 250HJ SATA II - C:Vista; D:Programs; E:Personal; F:RAW (future Leopard partition) - nVidia nForce Serial ATA Controller
DVD: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-112D ATA

Is this all the system info you need to know? Let me know if it's missing something.

If this is the problem, Is there any "easy to understand tutorial" explaining how to put the nforce5 kext found at the wikidot site into my dvd?

Thanks for the help!

naquaada
01-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Have you tried to format it in another filesystem, f.e. FAT32 from Disk Utility first?

7th
01-16-2008, 01:46 AM
naquaada:Have you tried to format it in another filesystem, f.e. FAT32 from Disk Utility first?

well, actually... no, never.

I'll try this now and I have another computer here at home where I can use while I try this...

I'll be back with news soon...

[update] I got bad news... It seems that even when I try to format in FAT the results are the same =\
Well, I've heard about a program named "parted magic live" and I'll try to use it to format one of my units to hsf+ and try it all over but now I'm almost sure that my problem has a name and it is called nForce5 (SATA).

If I'm right, the rev 2 will solve my problem (I think hehe)

Any more ideas?

[update2] Ok, no deal with parted magic live cd too =\
It formats to nfs+ but appears as a Linux Partition and don't install into this partition.

I'm almost giving up and waiting for rev 2 =\

NoloveIII
01-16-2008, 05:11 AM
I have the same problem
It doesn't work with an unformatted HD either

7th
01-16-2008, 05:15 AM
NoloveIII:I have the same problem
It doesn't work with an unformatted HD either

Do you have a config similar to mine? nForce5 with a SATA drive?

I think I'll do one final test here... I have another PC here with another config. I'll try to install it there.
I'll be back if I find out something but I really thing we'll have to wait until rev 2 is released.

see ya

NoloveIII
01-16-2008, 05:23 AM
ya i have an nForce MB

nfoav8or
01-23-2008, 01:45 PM
any idea when rev2 is going to be released and reworked to support the NForce chipset. I'm also constantly running unto errors with this and my SATA drives. I think only one is supported at a time. not sure though. I've been working from a post on InsanelyMac.com... <a href="http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77071">NForce SATA Controller</a> but am having trouble understanding how to perform these tasks. If anyone can help that would be great.

nfoav8or
01-26-2008, 03:14 PM
Hey all - - Here's a quick post to how I got my system working:

<a href="http://osx.kbot.de/comments.php?DiscussionID=88">link to my post at the bottom</a>