PDA

View Full Version : I've lost the ability to mount usb hard drive?

Ianxxx
03-03-2008, 05:32 AM
I seem to have lost the ability to mount usb hard drives?
Anyone any clues?
Doesn't show up in disk utility or anywhere else.

Ianxxx
03-11-2008, 04:17 AM
No I re-installed and changed bios for my mobo.

shitan
03-11-2008, 05:01 AM
Hey,

you can try:
a) disable legacy usb :)
b) Leave the device plugged for at least an hour and don't touch anything, hope it mounts, and then repair it (in case it's having a problem -- can you mount it on windows)

timtux
03-11-2008, 12:20 PM
Try to load the IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext manually:
sudo kextload /System/Library/Extensions/IOUSBMassStorageClass.kext

I gotta do this every boot up to get USB storing devices to work.

gaz919
03-14-2008, 06:36 AM
Try adding -f to the boot.plist file
com.apple.Boot.plist

that will force the extentions to load at boot, You can also reinstall them with kext helper it may be a permissions problem

s23osx
03-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Hmm, been away for a bit and tried a new install using 9.0.1, heaps more stable on my sys but the HD prob still playin up. Now it's causing finder to crash. Will try these ideas now.

s23osx
03-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Nope, no joy there either.
When I booted with the drive turned on it would mount but finder would crash immediately. And when I turned the drive on after booting it wouldn't mount but showed in SP.
I've just tried manually loading the kext and also -f and now when I boot with the drive on she won't mount at all. Weird. I've used DW4 to fix this kinda prob I had with the previous installs but it seems to return. Really wouldn't mind trying to figure this one out.
Anymore ideas??

Ianxxx
03-16-2008, 11:59 PM
s23osx:Nope, no joy there either.
When I booted with the drive turned on it would mount but finder would crash immediately. And when I turned the drive on after booting it wouldn't mount but showed in SP.
I've just tried manually loading the kext and also -f and now when I boot with the drive on she won't mount at all. Weird. I've used DW4 to fix this kinda prob I had with the previous installs but it seems to return. Really wouldn't mind trying to figure this one out.
Anymore ideas??

What motherboard do you have?
is there any other bios revisions available?
See if someone else is using the same board without that problem ask them the bios revision.