PDA

View Full Version : Firewire Anyone?

RLembke
03-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Anyone using Firewire on their Zeph installs? I don't see much mention of firewire other then many people needing to turn it off in BIOS to get things to work.

I'm on an A8N32-SLI board and 1394 is turned on in the BIOS but I get no activity whatsoever when plugging in firewire devices.

Are the chipset drivers for AMD (nForce4 in my case) not complete enough to enable 1394 onboard? Anyone using an add-in card that we know will work?

Thanks!

Rob

Firewalk
03-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Hi RLembke, Ima using Firewire here (onboard and pci 3 port) both working ok, i have 2 lacie external firewire hard disks and both are working correctly...

My Leopard install was done with zephys 10.5.2 rev 1.

Firewalk

RLembke
03-18-2008, 08:06 PM
What board and chipset driver are you using?

Firewalk
03-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Motherboard is a Asus M2A-VM 690g sb600..and i am using a custom sb600 kext from insanley mac..

hope this helps.

Firewalk

RLembke
03-25-2008, 07:05 PM
Is anyone else having issues using Firewire? I purchased a PCI Firewire card thinking that maybe the onboard drivers for nForce4 might not be supported but the PCI card doesn't work either. I also tried a few of Chun-Nan's fixes (http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=81036) on Insanelymac.

Any thoughts or suggestions? This is really the last thing I need to have a completed working system. Thanks!

Rob

alphabeta23
03-25-2008, 09:01 PM
I bought this card last week:

http://amzn.to/1AfbBuB

worked OOTB (Zephyroth 10.5.2 rev. 1)

agrafuese
03-25-2008, 09:33 PM
Strange, I'm fine here too and I have an A8N-SLI Premium (slighly different than your board, but same chipset I think). Which release are you running, rev 1 or 2 ? I am using rev 1.

RLembke
03-25-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm on Rev 1 as well, agrafuese. What does your About Mac say in the Firewire section? Mine just says "set to 400mbs speed" or something to that effect. I only have one Firewire device (a Sony camcorder) so I haven't determined whether I'm not correctly configured or if my device just isn't supported properly.

Thank you for the link, alphabeta23! That gives me a chipset that works for sure. Might be ordering another card.

Maybe I need to play around with the BIOS settings to see if a certain combo of settings let them work.

Rob

agrafuese
03-26-2008, 03:13 AM
ohhh, if you only have that one firewire device, try getting ahold of something else, like a hard drive or something. it could be the device itself being incompatible, or needing additional software, or something...who knows...but yeah, my About Mac says the same thing yours does, so you should be fine. don't see why it wouldn't work.

alphabeta23
03-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Hey,
before getting a new card, try a new firewire-cable...I had the same issue with my camcorder. A good-quality cable was the solution!

RLembke
03-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks AB...I've tried a few different cables now. I started testing it with my Windows laptop last night but I didn't get it setup all the way (slow laptop and too little time).

From looking at discussions on InsanelyMac, it appears that Texas Instruments chips are the best to use on Hackintoshes. That's good and bad I guess since the A8N series boards have TI chips on them.

I've ordered a used SIIG card that is TI based off of eBay to see if that works.

Agrafuese, did you change any kext out after your initial install? I've updated and swapped so many kexts I don't remember what all I've changed. I have yet to play around with the BIOS settings to see if I can wake those ports up.

Anyone else out there with an nForce board using onboard Firewire?

Thanks again for the help guys.

agrafuese
03-26-2008, 10:46 PM
No, nothing that would make a difference - just new Netkas AppleSMBIOS and 9.2.0 kernel w/shutdown fix. But firewire has always worked for me, ever since 10.4.8. If your new SIIG card doesn't work, do consider trying another firewire device...hard drive, ipod...something.

Adrian
03-29-2008, 08:57 PM
I have an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe with a nForece 570 SLI chipset. Firewire has worked fine right from the start after installing rev.1.

jbeckers
03-31-2008, 09:43 PM
Firewalk:Motherboard is a Asus M2A-VM 690g sb600..and i am using a custom sb600 kext from insanley mac..

that's just too weird: did it just start working with the 10.5.2 update? 'cause on my M2A-VM firewire was not working before that and I had to disable it in the BIOS. haven't tested it with 10.5.2 though.

Firewalk
04-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi jbeckers, not sure if firewire worked before i used eddies patch to upgrade to 10.5.2, i didnt have my drives then..but booting in verbose (-v) as always showed firewire ie speed 400 and so on in 10.5.1. my system is rather weird though. could i ask what you have done for sb600 and 690g, as i get still waiting for root in all new releases...

Firewalk

jbeckers
04-09-2008, 12:41 PM
I don't know really, it just works here. are you installing on a SATA or a PATA drive?

note: you could try to install the latest BIOS (1705, but beware: it breaks the onboard ethernet) to see if it fixes any problems...