PDA

View Full Version : 8800 GT sluggish performace

Common Sense
03-22-2008, 04:48 AM
Hi!

I would like to hear from you that have 8800 GT and that knows how to get it 100% working. Currently mine works perfectly (it has all the features working, QE/CE + res change) except for some rahter sluggish performace in UI and games. What kexts did you install? Version of NVinject or PC-EFI? etc. All details would be greatly apreciated so I can replicate your working setup.

My hardware:
Albatron 8800 GT 512 mb
MSI nf4-fi
Opteron 144

R0GUE
03-22-2008, 05:21 AM
I don't have an 8800 GT but I do have an 8600 GTS. I've got mine set up using EFI with my card's hex embedded into the apple.com.boot.plist - everything is working great. The only game that runs like crap is CoD 2, but that is par for the course with the G9x chip.

agrafuese
03-22-2008, 05:49 AM
http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=91755

Here's my tutorial over at insanelymac for running this card with GFX-EFI strings. Try it out from start to finish, and if you still have sluggish performance, that's just the way it runs. IMO this card runs good, but I'll be the first to say it needs some more optimizing from Apple to reach full potential. It doesn't run in OSX as well as it does in Windows. That's just the nature of the beast.

Common Sense
03-22-2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks for the replies! I followed your guide and it did not change the situation. I guess the drivers suck or its my amd/nforce4 setup thats giving some issues. I wonder how 8800 GT performs on a real mac. Anyway im going to start a thread over at insanelymac to see if Intel users get the same choppy performace. It might be an nforce issue maybe (something with the pci-e bus)?

agrafuese
03-25-2008, 02:01 AM
I'm a bit late now, but if I would have seen your reply earlier, I would have linked you to another thread that I started where many many people of all different systems were talking about the 8800GT's performance. We all kind of settled on the fact that it's not as good as it should be. Oh well, here it is if you are at all interested:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=89001

Feel free to skip past the parts that talk about EFI strings.

Almas
03-25-2008, 02:12 AM
I actually had similar issues with my 8800GT slightly sluggish performance in the Desktop and in games. I went to my BIOS and turned off my peg link which was an BIOS level overclocking, and after that no issues and I stopped overclocking my CPU maybe you have overclocking in BIOS? Problem solved after turning those off for me at least.

agrafuese
03-25-2008, 02:19 AM
I guess it also depends on the severity of the sluggishness. I don't overclock, so any lack of performance I have would probably be unique to my situation. I'm actually not too bothered by the performance, but I do know that it's not as good as it is in Windows, or to put it a better way: It's not as good as it should be based on what the card is. On the other hand, there were guys that I talked to in that other thread who had severe problems with performance and then later found out that they had bad cards. So, really it's up to each person to decide how bad it is and whether it is a problem for them, and what they can do about it. Pretty hard to diagnose something like that otherwise.

Common Sense
03-26-2008, 01:51 AM
I think we just have to wait and see maybe it will change with newer driver releases. Could not find any PEG link in my bios though. Well its not awful so im just going to be happy with it for now.