PDA

View Full Version : my sata in leopard 10.5.1 not erase

shir266
01-22-2008, 07:25 PM
## Automatic notice to thread opener:
If you post this kind of message into the News Category again, your Account will be disabled

SATA HDD recognized but i can't format OR erase the maxtor 160gb in disk utiliti
maxtor 160 gb sata
wd 200gb
seget 250 gb
amd 64*2 doal 3800+ 2 Ghz
NVIDIA 6200 LE
ABIT MADERBORD
thank you

Bing
01-23-2008, 10:01 AM
i had the same problem with my sata machine

nfoav8or
01-23-2008, 01:49 PM
hey guys... I posted something relating to this <a href="http://osx.kbot.de/comments.php?DiscussionID=60">here</a>. Hope this helps or that you can help me.

naquaada
01-23-2008, 03:48 PM
If you want to use the complete HD for MacOS, partition it first and then overwrite it with zeroes. If you have an combined MacOS-Windows-HD, try to format the partition for MacOS in FAT32 first (from Windows). but I won't recommend a shared HD.

shir266
01-23-2008, 04:13 PM
i try until now nothing i format in fat 32 in xp i put only one sata and
it's not erase
sameone ??
thank you

Bing
01-24-2008, 11:44 AM
as cgsheen said "Your motherboard has a nvidia nforce chipset. There's a problem with Zephyroth 10.5.1 and nforce SATA controllers... "

i guess that's the problem with me. i do have a nforce motherboard + sata hdd.

cgsheen's solution is to "insert the proper .kexts into a new Install .iso"

i've got no idea how to do this, so i'm just waiting...

btw, formating the partition for MacOS in FAT32 did't work for me.

cgsheen
01-24-2008, 12:15 PM
"cgsheen's solution is to "insert the proper .kexts into a new Install .iso"

Ya... That isn't MY solution... There's no way I could figure out how to do that either. But there ARE some instructions on how to do it on the Forums and the Wiki.

MY solution is to install to an External (USB) hard drive. I just did that on my "3rd working install" (see my sig. @ insanelymac) THEN add the proper SATA .kexts for your internal hardware. ( I know, not everyone has an external drive... It sure makes it easy though! )

naquaada
01-24-2008, 03:42 PM
@ bingtheone

I have four boards with nForce 3, nForce 4 and nForce 4 SLI chipset, all are working flawlessly. But I'm always formatting with zeroes te first time, maybe this is the trick.

Bing
01-24-2008, 04:02 PM
i tried to erase with zeroes as well, but it just freezes at "preparing..."

what i did is to connect my sata hdd with a external hard drive case, and have that case attached to my pc via usb cable (works the same as external hard drive)

and the installation went smoothly. so i think it should has something to do with the chipset in my case.

but i'm getting Kernel panic every single time i try to boot max os. so i think i'll take some pics next time and see if anybody can help me on this. at the meanwhile, i'm still looking forward to zeph's ver.2.

btw, is it possible to install kext for mac os in windows? i use mac drive to visit the mac partition in windows.

The Inspiron 531 uses a motherboard manufactured by Gigabyte for Dell. It uses a nVidia nForce 4 chipset with an on-board video card. It also has on-board sound (Realtek) and an on-board gigabit NIC. It has one PCIe x16, One PCIe x1, and two PCI card slots. It has four DIMM memory slots, and four SATA connectors. The 531 motherboard does not support PATA or IDE drives without the use of a third-party controller.

shir266
01-24-2008, 11:23 PM
i tried to erase with zeroes as well, but it just freezes at "preparing like naquaada guy
how can i insert the proper .kexts into a new Install .iso
maby i need winiso??
thank you
[the chpset in mathrbord is nvidia mcp55 ]

nfoav8or
01-26-2008, 03:09 PM
@bingtheone

I GOT IT WORKING!! (well almost completely... all except audio)

here's how I did it:

First off, I got it just as far as you did with the safe mode and then had to transfer from another Mac volume. This seemed to be the only way to not get hung up at the same point as you so I transfered files/info from a "volume" that was simply another external HD that I installed to before the external SATA HD. After I was through this stage, I used the downloaded <a href="http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=19616">kext</a> from earlier and unzipped it to the desktop. Now you should see the file AppleNForceATA.kext on the desktop.

Next I copied the file <b>Extensions.mkext</b> from <b>System/Library/Extensions/</b> to the desktop folder for manipulation. I manipulated the mkext file from here so that I wouln't lose sight of where the files were even though we'll be using the Terminal next. Because the mkext should be manipulated through your Terminal, make sure you use the bold commands to follow. (note, this was taken from another post in part... I claim no credit for this, just the will to bring it to you... also, make sure you know what directory you are running in when you do this so your work isn't lost to you. most times it brings you to your home folder when you first open Terminal so that's how I'll treat it.)

1. <b>cd Desktop/</b>
1. <b>mkextunpack -d Extracted /System/Library/Extensions.mkext</b> (notice the space between "Extracted" and "/System")
2. <b>rm -rf Extracted/AppleNForceATA.kext</b>
3. <b>cp -rp AppleNForceATA.kext Extracted</b> (notice the space between "AppleNForceATA.kext" and "Extracted")
4. <b>sudo chown -R root:wheel Extracted</b>
5. <b>sudo chmod -R 755 Extracted</b>
6. <b>kextcache -m NewExtensions.mkext Extracted</b> (notice the space between "NewExtensions.mkext" and "Extracted")

don't close Terminal yet, just minimize it (I know the following can be done in Terminal, but I am still new so I prefer to do it visually yet)

Move the old <b>Extensions.mkext</b> to the trash and rename the new file to <b>Extensions.mkext</b> (same as old one, of course)

drag this to the <b>/System/Library/</b> Folder
while in this folder, go into the folder <b>Extensions</b> and look for the file <b>IOATAFamily.kext</b>... right click, select <b>Show Package Contents</b> and navigate through <b>Contents/Plugins/</b> to see another file named <b>AppleNForceATA.kext</b>. drag the one from your desktop to this folder and over-write it.

--Now this is what screwed me up for a while...

You have to go back to Terminal and type:
1. <b>sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext</b>
2. <b>sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext</b>

This should do it for you, but in case your computer continue to gets hung up... safe mode in again and search through the Extensions folder for any <b>NV*</b> or <b>GeForce*</b> files and delete them.

Reboot and I hope it works for you like it did for myself.

Cheers! --NFOav8or

nfoav8or
01-26-2008, 03:16 PM
I almost forgot to include my system specs:

Dell Inspiron 531
Athlon64x2 4000+ @ 2.1Ghz
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE
3GB DDR2 SDRAM @667MHz
250GB S-ATA @ 7200 rpm
CDRW/DVD & DVDRW - SATA
MCP61 SATA controller

Bing
01-27-2008, 12:55 AM
i tried, but still says "ioatacontroller device blocking bus" while boot @ sata...

btw, how did you settle the network problem? i followed the steps of forcedeth, but unfortunately didn't work either... my networking controller is not yet recognized. this is my ven id:10de and dev id 03ef. are you using the integrated nforce network? how did you manage to get it work?

nfoav8or
01-27-2008, 02:06 AM
did you perform all these changes from within safe mode (-x) ?
I had to be sure and make all changes from within safe mode and amend those files using the new kext from MeDevil. Once that was done, you need to make sure to set the permissions correctly using <b>chown</b> and <b>chmod</b>. This was the biggest setback for me. I've reinstalled it many times over just trying to get the whole thing right. That shouldn't be necessary, but if you really want to get things right, thats the route I had to take.

One thing to try... do all of these changes while you are booting up externally. That way you are able to get in and run from within the OS and not worry about possible hangups due to the SATA controller.

I am not using a hard-wire network card. I disabled it in the BIOS and have been using a Broadcom Wi-Fi card (BCM4318) which is supported through the kexts supplied in the cd natively. I will enable my built-in LAN and give it a try. I'll get back to ya. Good luck.

Bing
01-27-2008, 03:32 AM
1. mkextunpack -d Extracted /System/Library/Extensions.mkext (notice the space between "Extracted" and "/System")

it says can't start directory Extracted

nfoav8or
01-27-2008, 03:51 AM
create a folder on your desktop named "Extracted" then run this... the prob is that the command doesn't know where to send it to because it hasn't been created yet.

Bing
01-27-2008, 04:56 AM
Move the old Extensions.mkext to the trash -- is this the one in /System/Library/ ?

and rename the new file to Extensions.mkext. -- i'm a little bit confused here, do you mean the Extensions.mkext that copied to the desktop previously? if so, it doesn't need to be renamed. or by "the new file", you mean some other file?

drag this to the /System/Library/ Folder -- just to confirm, it's the "Extensions.mkext" file on desk top?

while in this folder, --what do you mean here?

sorry about my english... and thanks for helping

Bing
01-27-2008, 05:14 AM
ok, i did't notice the newExtensions.mkext file genarated on the desktop at first

Bing
01-27-2008, 10:27 AM
thx, nfoav8or, i got the sata working now!

moving on to the ethernet

nfoav8or
01-27-2008, 11:41 AM
awesome! Congrats! let me know how that goes... I got my audio working so now all of my hardware works with OSX.

Bing
01-27-2008, 12:17 PM
how did you get the audio working? can u send me a link?

also, have you tried the onboard nforce network? i'm following the this insturuction, but not yet get my network run

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=12933&st=0

Bing
01-27-2008, 12:21 PM
also, my leopard hasn't recongized the amd processor yet. it still says "2.61 ghz unknown"

shir266
01-27-2008, 01:09 PM
if i instal osx in ide hd and than i do what you say here i can after erase
my sata ?

naquaada
01-27-2008, 05:18 PM
bringtheone: That's normal. Look here, there's a thread how about fixing this.

http://osx.kbot.de/comments.php?DiscussionID=15&page=1#Item_1

Bing
01-28-2008, 01:19 AM
@ naquaada

do you mean the "2.61 ghz unknown"? what a pitty, it just looks so awful

does anybody happen to use nForce on board networking controller?

Puttabong
01-28-2008, 01:28 AM
do you mean the "2.61 ghz unknown"? what a pitty, it just looks so awful
http://osx.kbot.de/comments.php?DiscussionID=16&page=1#Item_8

nfoav8or
01-28-2008, 04:12 AM
what is your audio card? onboard? is it the acl888? thats what mine is... I used the AppleHDA patcher found <a href="http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=32859&hl=hda+patcher">here</a>.

I personally used <a href="http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=18274">this version of the Patcher</a> and then the text file attached to make it work. remember when you download the text file that it needs to be dragged and dropped onto the Patcher icon in the .txt format.

Before you drag the .txt file onto the icon, you must remove your old AppleHDA.kext file from <b>/System/Library/Extensions</b> then you can drag and drop it on. This did the trick for me.

if it doesn't work for you with my specifics, try different codec dumps <a href="http://psykopat.free.fr/apple/AppleHDA/">found here</a>. Hope this helps with the sound.

As for the Processor readout.. I'm not sure, mine shows up natively so I haven't delved into that area yet. Hope Putt's link works for ya. We're rootin for ya so you can add to the discussions of how kick-@$$ it is to have OSX running on your personal Hacintosh. Later.

Cheers.

Bing
01-28-2008, 06:17 AM
first of all, thx nfoav8or for you reply.

actually, i've got my built-in audio working at the moment. i installed a mpkg called alc888audio. it's easy to install, (some how like installing driver in windows) and worked just fine. but the weird thing is that there is no built-in audio recognized in system profiler...

the only main problem now left is the built-in ethernet. it's a nforce networking controller, VED_03EF VEN_10DE.

i've been trying forcedeth, but seems not working...

Bing
01-28-2008, 11:53 AM
i modified the info.plist and add my VED and VEN into it.

now leopard can recognize my ethernet and show it's connected. however, i can still not get through to internet...

can any one tell me why?

btw, if i set "using dhcp" in network config, it get a wrong ip address (my router assigns ip from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.110, however, the ip i get by dhcp is 168.96.1.***) also, i cannot get to the mainpage of my router

pls, help!

zephyroth
01-28-2008, 03:44 PM
configure it manually

nfoav8or
01-28-2008, 04:33 PM
hey Zeph! Thanks for the Awesome releases!

bing, you're kinda runnin out on territory I am just coming to try and familiarize myself with. Good luck finding those answers if I don't come across that before you do.

Bing
01-28-2008, 10:56 PM
weirdly, the network is working today... and dhcp is working fine as well

so i did one stupid thing: after played around with safari for some minutes, i updated the software. and now, everytime i boot into leopard, it freezes! every single time!

sign...

cpus=1, not working. it also freezes in safe mode. even with the ethernet unplugged

shir266
01-29-2008, 01:25 PM
i Start this new discussion and until now i can't erase my sata
maby i need the beta leopaed, where i can gat it?
thank you

nfoav8or
01-29-2008, 02:46 PM
@bing
which software did you update... you didn't do THE software update that updates your system instead of just a few programs did you? if you did, you'll probably have to reinstall. try to reinstall over the top of the old one. maybe this will make it revert back. if not, at least you have a few places to start back up again because you remember how to to id from before. I've gotten 3 full installations to work just to make sure... I've also written my own instructions and placed them on one of the external hard drives. This helps a bunch, plus once I reinstall to the regular HD, I just import all my programs and setting while in safe mode, then just do a few slight hacks with the kexts and I'm home free. it doesn't even take up that much space. maybe that will be your life-saver someday if you install the system update. :-)

@ shir
what chipset do you have on your motherboard? do you have an external HD, as this was the way to go for me... I installed to that and then was able to install all the kexts needed to make it work. I think I've given all the steps above, but here goes again. also... for a SATA drive problem, I've found it easiest to make it an external drive that can be manipulated by <a href="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=ULT40112">using this cable</a>... (don't worry, this isn't a plug for the company... I just usually buy my hardware from them)

If you have an nForce controller in your board, <a href="http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=80834&view=findpost&p=595576">this method</a> will work (you just have to do the searching to find the correct kext if your board isn't an nForce).
Let me know how it goes.

nfoav8or
01-29-2008, 02:48 PM
also shir...

I don't think zeph has released the beta out yet besides to the testers. we'll see when they get it done. But it'll be a great one when it works in our systems.

nfoav8or
01-29-2008, 02:54 PM
@bing

didn't know if you wanted these for your system too.. I've enjoy playing around with them to make mine feel more comfortable and mac-ish.

terminal:
sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

allows you to change your boot options.

the ones I added and like are below

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x1024x32@85</string>
<key>Boot Graphics</key>
<string>Yes</string>

and then change the time-out to something smaller

also, for when you are just starting out after a fresh install and you don't want to go through the hassle of the user configuration and file transferring... at boot type this

-x "Graphics Mode"="640x460x32"

this will not allow the transfer information window to be displayed as the screen is too small. It will set you up with an admin account (which you can change later after your minor kext changes)

hope this all helps you go a little faster and your dell 531 scream! :-)

Bing
01-29-2008, 08:15 PM
@ nfoav8or
thx for the advice
i did THE software update that updates the system... i'll probably try to reinstall and over write the old one.

nfoav8or
01-30-2008, 03:52 AM
I'm running in to problems with my DVD/CDRW and DVDRW drives connected via SATA while I'm running OSX. I have them connected so they are on opposite controllers (SATA-1 has 160GB HD with OSX installed and DVDRW... SATA-2 has 250GB HD and DVD/CDRW). I am unable to use them in OSX at all. From my System Profile this is what I see:

LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S:

Firmware Revision: 9L08
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)
Profile Path: None
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RAM, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

and

TSSTcorp CDRWDVD TS-H493B:

Firmware Revision: D200
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Generic Drive Support)
Profile Path: None
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw
Media: Insert media and refresh to show available burn speeds

any ideas how I can get these working within OSX or am I at a dead end with these drives? I've searched but am unable to find a good solution to this problem.

nfoav8or
01-30-2008, 04:18 AM
just an update to my latest problem... when I use the SATA-to-USB adapter and connect my DVD devices externally, they work! so my new thought is that the kext I supplied from above doesn't support these devices. How can I manually go in and add them? any ideas?

shir266
01-30-2008, 06:28 PM
to nfoav8or
thank you for your help i try and i tell you

Acidrain9
01-31-2008, 02:57 AM
Bing: how did you solve the "ioatacontroller device blocking bus" issue when booting to your SATA drive?

Bing
01-31-2008, 03:17 AM
# Acidrain9

i set my hard disk as an external disk when i first installed leopard. you can use the cable nfoav8or mentioned previously in this discussion. after installation, boot into leopard still using usb <a href="http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=ULT40112"> cable</a>, and follow this

nfoav8or@bingtheone:

I GOT IT WORKING!! (well almost completely... all except audio)

here's how I did it:

First off, I got it just as far as you did with the safe mode and then had to transfer from another Mac volume. This seemed to be the only way to not get hung up at the same point as you so I transfered files/info from a "volume" that was simply another external HD that I installed to before the external SATA HD. After I was through this stage, I used the downloaded <a href="http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=19616">kext</a> from earlier and unzipped it to the desktop. Now you should see the file AppleNForceATA.kext on the desktop.

Next I copied the file <b>Extensions.mkext</b> from <b>System/Library/Extensions/</b> to the desktop folder for manipulation. I manipulated the mkext file from here so that I wouln't lose sight of where the files were even though we'll be using the Terminal next. Because the mkext should be manipulated through your Terminal, make sure you use the bold commands to follow. (note, this was taken from another post in part... I claim no credit for this, just the will to bring it to you... also, make sure you know what directory you are running in when you do this so your work isn't lost to you. most times it brings you to your home folder when you first open Terminal so that's how I'll treat it.)

1. <b>cd Desktop/</b>
1. <b>mkextunpack -d Extracted /System/Library/Extensions.mkext</b> (notice the space between "Extracted" and "/System")
2. <b>rm -rf Extracted/AppleNForceATA.kext</b>
3. <b>cp -rp AppleNForceATA.kext Extracted</b> (notice the space between "AppleNForceATA.kext" and "Extracted")
4. <b>sudo chown -R root:wheel Extracted</b>
5. <b>sudo chmod -R 755 Extracted</b>
6. <b>kextcache -m NewExtensions.mkext Extracted</b> (notice the space between "NewExtensions.mkext" and "Extracted")

don't close Terminal yet, just minimize it (I know the following can be done in Terminal, but I am still new so I prefer to do it visually yet)

Move the old <b>Extensions.mkext</b> to the trash and rename the new file to <b>Extensions.mkext</b> (same as old one, of course)

drag this to the <b>/System/Library/</b> Folder
while in this folder, go into the folder <b>Extensions</b> and look for the file <b>IOATAFamily.kext</b>... right click, select <b>Show Package Contents</b> and navigate through <b>Contents/Plugins/</b> to see another file named <b>AppleNForceATA.kext</b>. drag the one from your desktop to this folder and over-write it.

--Now this is what screwed me up for a while...

You have to go back to Terminal and type:
1. <b>sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext</b>
2. <b>sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IOATAFamily.kext</b>

This should do it for you, but in case your computer continue to gets hung up... safe mode in again and search through the Extensions folder for any <b>NV*</b> or <b>GeForce*</b> files and delete them.

Reboot and I hope it works for you like it did for myself.

Cheers!

--NFOav8or

Bing
01-31-2008, 03:22 AM
@ nfoav8or

I never got a chance to use the dvd burner... but i'll reinstall during this weekend and try to burn some dvds. (school begins again, kind of busy this semester.) i'll update how it goes.

nfoav8or
02-01-2008, 01:56 PM
@ BING

Ahh school. I remember back in the day... haha. well it wasn't <i>that</i> long ago for me. I've read that the support for Lite-On DVDRWs and TSS brand DVD-ROMs isn't that great for Hacintosh. I've read numerous posts of people with working Pioneer DVR212 drives so I bought one. However, I also bought a new external Lite-On so I could have DVD support as well and a new GeForce 7300 PCIe graphics card. All I've read are supported so lets hope its not too much work to get them to work with OSX... I am sick of being relient on windows.
Cheers all.

Acidrain9
02-01-2008, 10:09 PM
@ Bing

Thanks for the info. Running beautifully now.

nfoav8or
02-03-2008, 01:34 AM
Awesome Acid. can you post system specs? Thx and congrats.

nfoav8or
02-04-2008, 05:59 AM
just a "bump" to see if anyone has solved the SATA DVD problem? I am waiting on the new Pioneer to come in the mail. Just an update. I've decided to try and reinstall numerous times and every time I do, I am able to use my DVD drives UP UNTIL I input the AppleNForceATA.kext then they cannot read/write ANY dvds and/or cds.

Anyone... any ideas?