PDA

View Full Version : Leopard installed, but hanging in the Startup-Assistant

crawle
01-26-2008, 01:03 AM
## Automatic notice to thread opener:
If you post this kind of message into the News Category again, your Account will be disabled

Hey guys,
For two weeks I was trying this stuff, and NOW it worked - a little bit: I installed Leopard by MBR. I started Leopard with some flags, but it rebootet every time. Then, I booted with following:
cpus=1 -s -f -x
The Startup-Assistant appeared, I choosed my Country, my Keyboard-Type and so on. Then I had to choose, if if I want to use an old Mac, I clicked "No" and he loaded for a while. Then he returned to the Country and Keyboard Window. I tried again, but every time he's jumping back to the beginning.
Anyone know this problem?

-crawle

DoiX
01-26-2008, 01:25 AM
Its an old problem and there is no exact cause. Please check the wiki page, as its made with a reason,
the solution is posted there already.

http://osx86.wikidot.com

Navigate to the 'Know Issues Section'

crawle
01-26-2008, 01:39 AM
Oh thanks DoiX. I'll try this.
But after reboot my PC, I can't even start Leopard anymore. The result on bootup, is this screen:

DoiX
01-26-2008, 01:47 AM
crawle:Oh thanks DoiX. I'll try this.
But after reboot my PC, I can't even start Leopard anymore. The result on bootup, is this screen:
just wait 10 minutes.. if nothing happens try booting with -x "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32"

crawle
01-26-2008, 01:53 AM
Ok, I'll wait. Make a cup of coffe and wait ...

P.s.: I tried already with Graphics Mode
P.p.s.: Who's irritating who? ^^ (EDIT: Ok, nobody ^^)

crawle
01-26-2008, 02:12 AM
Ok, tried again. But same hang at BSD Root. (see screenshot above)
Any solutions?

Thanks,
-crawle

DoiX
01-26-2008, 02:59 AM
did you disable your network card in bios?

crawle
01-26-2008, 03:05 AM
I'll try to. One second ...

crawle
01-26-2008, 03:09 AM
Still hanging at BSD Root. But thanks. Any other solution yet?

DoiX
01-26-2008, 03:11 AM
hmm.... let me understand the problem, you cant boot leo while using graphics mode or you can't boot leo at all ?

P.S post your specs

crawle
01-26-2008, 03:15 AM
I can't boot leo at all. By the way is my PC sometimes just rebooting after loading kexts. But when he passes this, he's hanging at BSD Root.

AMD Athlon 64 3200 Venice (SSE3)

GeForce 6600GT

Epox Mainboard with VIA-Chipset

First HD: Leopard (and data partitions) 400GB
Second HD: Windows (and a small Tiger) 140GB (but at this moment nut plugged in)

DoiX
01-26-2008, 03:21 AM
hmm......i have some questions:
during the install did leo hang at 1 minute?
what rev are you using?

crawle
01-26-2008, 03:25 AM
Sorry, I don't know if it hang - I wasn't there. Not special exciting ;-)
I think it's Rev 1 ... this torrent:

edit by pb: POSTING links of this kind is not allowed and causes a ban, so please don't post them!
edit by me: Alright, I'm sorry. ... will not happen again.

DoiX
01-26-2008, 03:31 AM
when it hangs it stays there.. so your install probably went well. try reinstalling it, if it doesnt work install it again only this time use GUID partition when the install is complete install efi http://osx.kbot.de/comments.php?DiscussionID=71&page=1#Item_14 a friend of mine was getting a similar error he fixed it using guid

crawle
01-26-2008, 03:48 AM
Okay. I'll try to. Thanks a lot, DoiX. I'll answer here, when the installation was finished and EFI installed.

-crawle

crawle
01-26-2008, 09:27 PM
Hey guys,

I got it work with a lot of flags and choose my Tiger partition to load. So it worked for me.
Now my "kext"-question: Does anyone know, how to get Dual Monitor work on my GeForce 6600 GT ?
Actually I can only use my VGA-Screen. DVI doesn't work.

-crawle

patelvishaal
01-30-2008, 08:37 AM
crawle:Hey guys,

I got it work with a lot of flags and choose my Tiger partition to load. So it worked for me.
Now my "kext"-question: Does anyone know, how to get Dual Monitor work on my GeForce 6600 GT ?
Actually I can only use my VGA-Screen. DVI doesn't work.

-crawle

hey i have the same problem with the keyboard........
what did you do in order to get it working
what flags did you use?

crawle
01-30-2008, 10:54 PM
I used "cpus=1 -f -x". Then, I used the "Already have and import from another volume"-Option. And it worked!

sh0td0wn
01-31-2008, 01:24 AM
I followed this from the Kalyway thread and it worked on Zephyroth DVD/
Boot using "-s"
then type "/sbin/mount -uw /"
"passwd root"
Type any password you want
"touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone"
"reboot"

and login with root and the password you choose then make an account for yourself..

It skips the entire Startup Assistant thing... :)

Worked good for me..

crawle
01-31-2008, 09:41 PM
Oh, good to know. Thanks to you ...

redfez
02-02-2008, 07:41 PM
I followed this from the Kalyway thread and it worked on Zephyroth DVD:

Boot using "-s"
"passwd root"
"touch /var/sb/.AppleSetupDone"

But I canīt find /var/sb/.AppleSetupDone!

## Edit by Puttabong:

Working:

Boot in Single User Mode (-s)

Type "/sbin/mount -uw /"

"passwd root"

"touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone"

sh0td0wn
02-02-2008, 09:29 PM
keep trying again because I had the same problem.
It's a solution that will work for sure. :P

nderiv
02-02-2008, 09:48 PM
I tried doing this because I am trying to avoid the setup assistant when booting -x, since my keyboard and mouse (PS/2) does not work in that mode. When I try to do "passwd root" it says passwd command not found. Any ideas?

redfez
02-03-2008, 01:02 AM
sh0td0wn:keep trying again because I had the same problem.
It's a solution that will work for sure. :P
What? There is no file .apple setup done.
I tried a USB-DRIVE with Leopard and Tiger but the USB DRIVE was not detected

rebelios
02-03-2008, 04:01 AM
redfez:I followed this from the Kalyway thread and it worked on Zephyroth DVD/
Boot using "-s"
"passwd root"

canīt find /var/sb/.AppleSetupDone !!!

nothing works vor me :( i have no other installation fxxk
There's something wrong. The following line:

/var/sb/.AppleSetupDone

is supposed to be

/var/db/.AppleSetupDone

nicknowsky
02-06-2008, 12:59 AM
rebelios: redfez:I followed this from the Kalyway thread and it worked on Zephyroth DVD/
Boot using "-s"
"passwd root"

canīt find /var/sb/.AppleSetupDone !!!

nothing works vor me :( i have no other installation fxxk
There's something wrong. The following line:

/var/sb/.AppleSetupDone

is supposed to be

/var/db/.AppleSetupDone

THIS whole command script DOESNT WORK, I have been trying an trying and NO LUCK, I had to install Tubgirl 10.4.9 and then I selected UPGRADE from the LEOPARD install and that way SUCKS!!! Cause A clean install of LEOPARD supports ALL of my system NATIVELY, when you select upgrade it DOESNT install of update ANY of your components!! of instance LAN is working everytime do a CLEAN INSTALL I check the SYSTEM PROFILER o see what components are loadind and MY LAN and GeForce 8400GS is recognized!! I do have to delete all those nvidia kexts to actually boot into LEO after, but upgrading doesnt update ALL COMPONENTS!!

This Account Creation Loop Issue is becomming a serious problem, I format my HD with GUID by default eveytime, if I choose MBR my HD is not seen and I cant boot without a DVD, anyways I have Restarted and Restarted 23 times yesterday to try to get thru the Account Creation, I have tried that graphics mode Line and that does squat!! It seems to be WAY TOO confusing too type, I believe people et it wrong cause IT ISNT CLEAR ON the EXACT way to TYPE IT ( i dunno where the spaces are and if you use Quotations marks and use a small X instead of * inbetween the resolution numbers" I need to see the PROPER WAY to type it in the bootloader!! And in regards to last solution, I dunno what that does, I get some BAD PASSWORD ERROR also I when I type my default password, So it seems alotta of us are stuck and cant get Leo working

altair1979
02-07-2008, 10:09 PM
* nicknowsky : first of all you're absolutely right about the script not working...it didn't work for me either. On my system I got a freeze on a grey screen after I entered my account information (login name and password). All I got was the beach ball and this grey screen with a message that read "Creating user Account...". However I was able to bypass the entire setup assistant by using "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32". Type it with quotes (") and only one space between graphics and mode...

I hope this works for you and you can then succesfully login. I got a message saying that the setup assistant can't work in this resolution and an OK button, which means that I DID get past the assistant. However pushing the OK buton just got me another grey screen and a beach ball.