View Single Post

Old 01-17-2012, 11:23 PM
Cheetah

[GUIDE] Installing Lion on Toshiba L750 (with some unresolved issues)

Had a user of the forum ask me to post a tutorial on how I managed to get Lion running on the Toshiba L750, so this is me being kind and fulfilling their request

Please Note: There were some unresolved issues with running Lion on this machine when I had attempted it, namely a problem with the power button becoming unresponsive after shutting down the computer, which required the a/c adapter or battery to be removed for around 30 seconds to resolve the problem. This is something possibly related to the DSDT file generated for this system and could probably be resolved by someone more technically inclined to DSDT editing.

All files outlined in the steps below can be downloaded from here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PGMQ28RA
MIRROR: http://www.mediafire.com/?qkespk3izifrkdk

STEP 1: Create Lion USB installer disk following the instructions outlined here:
http://olarila.com/forum/viewtopic.p...21223a6d69a01b

STEP 2: After creating the USB installer, you'll need to launch the installer using the following flags or it will freeze: -x npci=0x2000 (only the safemode "-x" flag may be required)

STEP 3: After successfully installing, you'll still need to use the USB installer to boot the newly install Lion partition using the same safemode -x flag and just choose the Lion HD Partition and not the USB one.

STEP 4: Once booted into Lion, it will state that the keyboard is not connected/detected, so you will require use of an external USB keyboard to continue. However, I did find in some cases that *after* plugging in a USB keyboard, the actual laptop keyboard began to work, which is strange.

STEP 5: Download and extract the "L750-0Sx86-Package.zip" from here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PGMQ28RA and install Chameleon by extracting and running the "Chameleon-2.1svn-r1785.pkg" file (do not restart yet if prompted to after installation, just work around window if needed)

STEP 6: Install the PS/2 kexts for keyboard and mouse by running the "voodoops2.pkg"

STEP 7: Extract and install the remaining kexts and extras from the "Extensions-and-Extra.zip" files by moving the files in the "Extensions" folder to /System/Library/Extensions and the files from the "/Extra" folder to /Extra (close any popup warning windows about the extensions that appear)

STEP 8: For LAN networking, extract the "LAN.zip" package and add the file to /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext (right click - show contents - plugins -- add file) or you could try to just add the file as is to /S/L/E

STEP 9: For Wireless networking, extract the "WLAN.zip" package and add overwrite the kext in /System/Library/Extensions (backup the original file in case something breaks!)

STEP 10: Extract and install the "Kext Wizard" app and run it, select the last three checkboxes for "System/Library/Extensions" and wait for it to complete then reboot your machine.

You should now be able to boot the machine from the local partition and not the USB installer.

I also included the prefpane for the VoodooHDA kext included in this guide if you prefer to use it as well.

Note that graphics is enabled for the onboard Intel HD 3000 using the DSDT provided in the /Extra folder.

There are aftifcating issues with this graphics card in OSX; Updating to 10.7.1 seems to help. You *could* try running the system as 32bit and see if this helps by adding the arch=i386 flag to the com.chameleon.Boot.plist file under /Extra. The Chimera bootloader (http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/search/label/chimera) works with GraphicsEnabler for the Intel HD 3000 but I'm unsure about the latest version of Chameleon (which this guide uses) so you could try either installing Chimera or simply adding the "GraphicsEnabler=yes" flag to the boot.plist file and removing the DSDT as well.

You could also try using the following EFI string in your boot.plist file if prefered (also included in files package) and remove the DSDT file as well (or generate your own later):

<key>device-properties</key>
<string>600000000100000001000000540000000100000002 010c00d041030a000000000101060000027fff04001e000000 4100410050004c002c006f0073002d0069006e0066006f0000 001800000030490111111108000001f01f0100000010070000 </string>

These were all the notes I had on getting the Toshiba L750 running with OSX. As previously mentioned, I was experiencing an issue with the unit's power button no longer working after shutting down from OSX that I could only resolve by physically removing the a/c adaptor or the batttery.

Also note that Bluetooth does not work UNLESS you load Windows first and restart the machine into OSX; This is due to the actually combo wireless/bluetooth card requiring the firmware for the bluetooth chip to be loaded onto the card by the driver itself, and this is NOT supported by the OSX kext, so therefore does NOT work when loading from a cold boot directly into OSX.

It has been awhile since I attempted this installation on my L750 which I no longer use so I hope that this tutorial works and will at least get you started in the right direction in getting OSX running on your Toshiba L750! Best of luck!

Last edited by ouija; 01-17-2012 at 11:30 PM.