Thread: Lion with AMD
View Single Post

Old 05-22-2012, 05:17 AM
#ADHDMedia

So here's one I just noticed.

First, the success story:

I've been working on getting 10.7.4 set up and stable because I built a Hack Pro for my wife for school. I was working with the drive that it's installed on inside of my Hack Pro (identical hardware) while getting everything set up, before migrating the drive into the other tower.

Long story short, I was very happy with the results. She's been using the computer for a few days now with no problems whatsoever. She mainly uses iWork and Evernote for school, so nothing too hardcore, but the system is working perfectly. It's an identical build to the one in my sig, with the exception being that it's running a GTX 550ti. Mission accomplished, basically.

Okay, here's the weird part:

Now that I'm all back up and running on my build with my 10.6.7 drive, everything is back to normal. Except (of course there's an exception) for the fact that my system profiler is no longer detecting my CPU type and speed properly?! It's showing a 4.6GHz 6 Core Intel Xeon processor, when it ALWAYS showed the proper AMD PII before installing Lion on a separate drive. Even stranger, it's showing the same thing it was showing under Lion when I had that drive installed on this computer. And I can't get it to change back, even with OSX86Tools (I know, ancient, but it worked for me before).

So here's the question:

What the hell happened?! How did installing Lion on a completely different drive screw up my Snow Leopard drive from auto-detecting CPU type and speed? And more importantly, HOW CAN I FIX IT???

***EDIT*** I updated the boot loader on the SL drive... Could that be it?

• AMD Phenom II X6 1075T
• ASUS M4A78LT-M
• 12GB DDR3
• XFX Radeon HD 5750 1GB
• 160GB HDD | OSX 10.6.7
• 500GB HDD | OSX 10.7.2

Last edited by anonomys209; 05-22-2012 at 07:52 AM.