View Single Post

Old 10-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Cheetah

ALC883 Sound on Ga-G31M-E2SL REV 2.0 10.6.1/0 not working

Ok, so based upon many posts on these forums and insanely mac I got this board. Apparently I did not read enough and have found that the Rev 2.0 board has troubles with both the NIC and sound. I have tried MANY MANY ways of getting the sound working to no avail. I followed the guide for the retail USB stick install that is very popular on this forum. I and have added a PCI NIC which works great, I am on 64-bit, no crashes, no KP's, nothing bad. Just no sound. I was running a dual boot on MBR with 10.5.6 on an amd X2 6400+ which was fantastic. The only problem is that I wanted to have snow which apparently cannot run 64 bit on the AMD/Nforce setup that I had been using, as well as no retail/Vanilla install. Hence, the reason for getting the Ga-G31m-E2Sl.

My new setup is 10.6.1 retail/vanilla, GA-G31M-E2SL Rev 2.0, Pentium Dual Core E6300, 4.0GB DDR2, 1TB Sata 2.0 Western Digital Caviar Black, BFG Nvidia 8600GT OC (EFI String), Generic IDE DVD-R, RealTEk 8139 PCI NiC.

Bottom Line: I need a kext that is known to work with the Rev 2.0 board on a retail 10.6.1/0 install with minimal fiddling. I am Windows/Linux guy and I just don't have enough background with this platform to know all of the little tweaking and hacking techniques. I have tried the ALC883Legacy.kext, VOODHDA, and a bunch of others. The commonality I see amongst many of these solutions is that 9/10 times there is no indication in any of the posts as to which revision of the board these people are using.

It is HIGHLY troubling considering that I want to use this system for audio production almost exclusively.... I am SURE that many others could benefit from a specific solution that is straightforward and easy to implement and directed towards fixing this issue only. I have had to dig through page after page after page of OS install posts which seem to be geared for the Rev 1.0 board and mention the 2.0 but with very very very mixed results. Thanks SOOOOOOOOO much for any insight into this issue,

Acid810

Last edited by acid810; 10-03-2009 at 02:23 PM.