View Single Post

Old 01-05-2011, 11:13 AM
Puma

[quote=fumoboy007;51881]History
I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core processor. If I boot into Snow Leopard as is, I get EXC_I386_DIV crashes across my entire system after a few hours. If I boot with the cpus=1 kernel flag, I do not receive the crashes but I lose my second core, of course. When I booted with both cores enabled, I saw a message in my kernel log saying I had an unsynchronized TSC (time stamp counter) so I deduced that that was the cause of my crashes. And it made sense since only after a few hours could the TSC become so unsynchronized so as to cause crashes (I don't know the specifics.). After I discovered this, I found the VoodooTSCSync project (http://code.google.com/p/voodootscsync/). I tried it and it synchronized my TSC at boot but I still got crashes! Then I realized that I needed my TSC to be synchronized constantly, just like the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer does for Windows users. So I took the VoodooTSCSync project and turned it into VoodooTSCSyncAMD.

Does the following bootflag not work? - maybe it syncs only at boot also?

Code:

"tscsync=
Certain multi-core CPUs suffer from a timestamp counter drift between the cores
causing unpredictable timing behaviour or audio stutters. The kernel automatically
accounts for this. Use this option to enable or disable this feature. Pass 0 (zero) to 
disable or 1 (one) to enable tsc synchronization. Example: tscsync=0"