View Single Post

Old 09-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Jaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen.Eidson View Post
Thanks for the reply! Also, thank you very much for typing up your DSDT guide. I just gave it another read through and everything makes sense with it. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to give it a shot tomorrow. I was finally able to update my BIOS to 2.5 (if you remember, the instant flash utility wasn't working back in the spring), so I'm excited to move forward.

In the guide, though, you don't mention LegacyHDA at all. I've downloaded your modified version from page 3 of this thread and plan to use it with my reinstall. When would you suggest is the best time to copy LegacyHDA over? Just before multibeast, so the caches get rebuilt with it? Also, LegacyHDA goes in /E/E, right? Do I also have to delete all audio codecs from /S/L/E?

With your rig now, sleep is your only obstacle, right? Have you been able to upgrade to 10.6.4 without hiccups? Also, have you enabled QuartzGL?

Have you (or anyone else, for that matter) been able to OC with speed-stepping engaged? I'd read that can cause stability issues.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks again for all the help!

and, just for the record, my rig is as follows:
LegacyHDA does go in /E/E, and no, you don't need to delete any codecs in /S/L/E. I would use multibeast (why not just do it manually? you only need a few kexts anyways... and you'll have to edit .plist manually anyhow)
Yup! Evereything else works. I upgraded to 10.6.4 without issues.
I've heard that QuartzGL (=Quartz 2D Extreme) is pretty much useless, since all it does is take a little bit of load off the CPU, at the cost of some artifacts. Since I have an i7 I don't think a little bit of 2D rendering will affect performance much . I'll look into this thou.

I have tried overclocking with speedstep, and it works (somewhat). The big problem is (I think) that, altho the multipliers are changed ok (ie. with 200 bclk speedstep 1= 200*16, 2=200*17 (maybe 16.5 or something), 10=22*200=4.4GHz=KP ). So the problem is two things:
  1. The voltage isn't changed from stock (so it'll be trying to run 4GHz or whatever your *22 speestep is with voltage designed for 2.8GHz). The only way to fix this would be to manually edit the FID & VID values in DSDT, but I'm afraid to do so since ONE wrong number can mean a nice fryed silicone smell.
  2. You can't have anything over 180 bclk, or you will need extreme voltages & cooling to get over bclk*22 (@180 bclk that's 4GHz).
Apart from this, I have to mention that I don't overclock because of my RAM and cooling: I have some OCZ Gold dual channel ddr3, and -even thou ASRock released a fix for the 6GB kit, it apparently doesn't work with my 4GB one, so my RAM still get's error's in memtest and stuff, which means an unstable OC. Also, I have an Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro r2, but one of the F*&%#@G cheap plastic pins broke while reinstalling it once, so now I'm stuck with the stock intel cooler . Work's fine for default clock, but I've ruled out OC with it, especially now that it's summer down here .