View Single Post

Old 03-22-2011, 02:44 PM
Jaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBogey View Post
Yeah, funny how you can feel snubbed by not getting alerts. Just as long as it isn't a friend trying to get ahold of you for something important.

So I held my breath and installed your download. The DSDT seems to start up fine if a bit slow. Lots of additional temperature sensors in iStat widget AND the CPU is running (or reading) a lot cooler with the MacPro 5,1 ID. I also reset the BIOS to the settings in your video (Not sure of the C State enabled and then setting to C6. I always thought that was for non-Core Intel CPUs). Also, I have an MSI GTS-250 1GB GDDR5 so no worries about ATI kexts. I DO have a couple of IDE drives installed but don't really need for OS X as they have an old install of XP Pro but I haven't got all the data files moved to my Win 7 drive. Sound finally works without resorting to running Voodoo kexts but wish the new sound setup didn't give off a loud pop over my speakers when loading. I'll move the other unnecessary kexts out of the /Extra/Extensions folder and see how that goes next.

I still have the hard reboot problem - in both OS X AND Win 7 so I want to think it's BIOS related. I've been unemployed for a while otherwise I'd go and get a new PSU to try and see if that's the issue. The installed Rosewill PSU works great other than having that one bugaboo.

Thanks again for your help. I still don't have the faintest idea how to edit a DSDT but grateful that yours seems to do the trick without any tweaks.
subbed= subscribed

Yeah, remove other kexts and create an mkext (I can do it for you, but you should learn how). The booting is slow because of all the different kexts for temp monitoring, etc. If you use an mkext (a package of kexts), it'll load much faster.
I don't get any audio pops...
If it happens in Win7 too, it's hardware related (or BIOS, as you say, but I doubt it). Try booting @stock speeds, and see what happens.
DSDT: it's "a document describing your PC" (far from the exact definition, but easy to understand). So it says: I have 2 cores, such and such Audio chip, this GPU, etc, etc. The thing is, PC makers don't follow specifications... why? because the document needs to be compiled ("read") by a compiler, and there are two, the intel one (follows specs, apple like) and the microsoft one (doesn't follow specs). Additionally, apple uses their own way of DSDT, ie, some things that are in spec are not to OS X's liking. So we have to edit this document, according to what apple/specifications want. Editing it is another story... Download DSDT SE and "extract DSDT" to see your currently loaded one (if you want to see the plain DSDT, boot with iBoot or something, otherwise you'll get my edited one ).

On another note: what are your memory voltage readings like? Mine are way off!