View Single Post

Old 03-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by uninc View Post
i thought you were allergic to macbooks?!
I can tolerate using them for about 1/2 hr, then I lose sensitivity in my fingertips and my palms itch.

Quote:
sleep does not work. if i push sleep, the monitor shuts off, and ps2 shuts off - thats it. i have to hard restart.
I think we can fix this in DSDT. But it may take some research into your specific DSDT.

Quote:
brightness does not work. i am using shades right now - it kills my battery. every other hotkey works (volume, media keys, sleep, print etc...).
I think we can tackle this too, but I think the first step may be just dimming the display. Again, I'll need to study your DSDT, and right now I am caught up with my SL install problems (I've detailed where I am here: http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/help-...sb-hard-t5669/)

Quote:
the dv3XXX does use PS2 input, and in the dsdt i believe it is called KBC
Please confirm with ioreg that it is indeed a the PS2 device. You should see:
Code:
    | +-o KBC  <class IOACPIPlatformDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 8>
    | | +-o ps2controller  <class AppleACPIPS2Nub, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 8>
    | |   +-o ApplePS2Controller  <class ApplePS2Controller, !registered, !matched, active, busy 0, retain 9>
    | |     +-o ApplePS2KeyboardDevice  <class ApplePS2KeyboardDevice, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 7>
    | |     | +-o ApplePS2Keyboard  <class ApplePS2Keyboard, registered, matched, active, busy 0, retain 9>
Quote:
so i tried adding the PS2 dimming to dsdt and it compiled fine, but it did not solve the problem.
Where did you add it? Under KBC? (BTW, I find editing my DSDT to look more Mac-like helps when comparing to ioregs etc of a real mac. So I encourage you to search/replace KBC to PS2K if it's the right device).

Quote:
and i see that there is a _DSS method in my dsdt, do you have a link that explains adding the cycle commands?
The problem is tracing it down from the keyboard to the change in brightness. As a start, if you just want to dim the display to begin with, you could change the value in the _BCL list (below is from the ACPI 4.0 spec):

Quote:
Code:
Method (_BCL, 0) { 
   // List of supported brightness levels 
   Return (Package(7){ 
    80,  // level when machine has full power 
    50,  // level when machine is on batteries 
      // other supported levels: 
    20, 40, 60, 80, 100} 
 }
The first number in the package is the level of the panel when full power is connected to the machine. The second number in the package is the level of the panel when the machine is on batteries. All other numbers are treated as a list of levels OSPM will cycle through when the user toggles (via a keystroke) the brightness level of the display. These levels will be set using the _BCM method described in the following section.

B.6.3 _BCM (Set the Brightness Level)
This method allows OSPM to set the brightness level of a built-in display output device.

The OS will only set levels that were reported via the _BCL method. This method is required if _BCL is
implemented.

Arguments: (1)
Arg0 – An Integer containing the new brightness level
Return Value:
None
Example:

Code:
Method (_BCM, 1) { // Set the requested level }
The method will be called in response to a power source change or at the specific request of the end user, for example, when the user presses a function key that represents brightness control.

--
MacBook Pro - have allergy to nickel in the aluminum casing. So my kid gets an expensive toy!

Gateway MX 8738 - Retail, vanilla Snow Leopard 10.6.2 (thanks kizwan!) with Chameleon RC4, modified DSDT. Upgraded to Core 2 CPU (easy to do). Upgraded to 640GB drive. Everything but SD card working. Minor niggles. GMA950 with QE/CI and *no* artifacts.

iMac (luxo/lamp) G4 with Tiger.