View Single Post

Old 09-08-2009, 12:33 AM
Puma

Dual Boot SL / Win7 on a g31m-e2sl

Right now I have Windows 7 installed on 1 of 2 drives on a g31m-e2sl rev.2 based system (yep, incompatible ethernet). I'd like to do a vanilla install of Snow Leopard on the other drive ( I bought the retail DVD ), preferably without having to install 10.5.x first. If that's not the best route I have a leopard disc (10.5.6 retail) I can install first. My first attempt at installing SL failed after following this tutorial. I was able to install SL from a thumb drive, but it failed to boot after I installed Chameleon ( I was getting a nice 'You need to restart your computer' osx message part way into the boot followed by a 'CMOS checksum error' from my BIOS.). After all of this I wasn't able to boot into Windows 7 because the bootloader was clearly overwritten by chameleon and for some reason I was unable to repair it within Windows 7's recovery console. I ultimately had to wipe out both partitions with a 'clean all' recovery console command and did a re-install of Windows 7. So now I'm back to square one. What's the best way to get Snow Leopard and Windows 7 living in harmony? Is Chameleon absolutely imperitive for OSX to function or can I use something like easyBCD instead?
My next step was to follow this tutorial ( it involves chameleon, yet again) but I thought I'd drop in and see if anyone had any better solutions for my particular case.
My specs are as follows (just in case i've overlooked some other hardware imcompatibilities):

Gigabyte g31m-e2sl rev.2
EVGA 9800 GTX 512 vram
CPU INTEL|C2D E7500 2.93G 45N R
2Gx2|CORSAIR TWIN2X4096-8500C5C

Thanks!