View Single Post

Old 05-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Panther

Guide - iPC Universal PPF5 Final install on N610C

Thanks to a post on I found on another site, I have successfully installed this distro on my Compaq N610C, so I thought I would share my experience with all of you who happen to have one of these work horses laying around. The system runs very fast and stable, very little heat footprint as these lappys were notorious for heat issues. I have edited parts of the post for ease of reading, original post here:http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=158883 ..he rambles a bit.

Make sure the Base system is picked, then pick all the options shown here and you will have a working, stable install. Eveything works accept for QE/CI on video,because it is not supported due to the lack of video memory.

KERNEL:

>Use the Voodoo Kernel. That way, applications like Garageband wont crash!

DRIVERS:

>Legacy Time Machine Fix (just in case)

>Video Drivers: Laptopdisplay, Natit, AGPGart 2.7.1

>Chipset Drivers: Intel ICHx Sata Drivers, LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA, Intel ICH10 SATA Support, LegacyJMicron IDE.

>Audio Drivers: AC97 Audio

>Ethernet Drivers: Intel Pro 100/VE

>Wireless Drivers: Broadcom Driver, IO80211Family.kext

>USB drivers: Patched USB drivers

>Power Management: AppleACPIBatteryManager, AppleACPIPowerSource, PowerManagement Package.

FIXES AND PATCHES

>ACPI Fix
>IOUSBMassStorage Fix
>SATA Drive Icon Fix (new)
>Dual Boot Time Sync (only if you are dual booting, but im not sure that dual booting is possible on the Evo N610C without a lot of extra work...just use BootCamp instead )
>IOPCIFamily.kext patched
>IOPCMCIAFamily
>Finder 10.5.5 + Keyboard.prefPane
>Seatbelt.kext 10.5.5 (keeps the comp from crashing when you load DMGs)
>Shutdown/Restart fix
>CarbonLib Fix

*Alternate Disablers: IntelCPUPMDisabler

*PS/2 Device Support: PS/2 mouse fix (the keyboard should work so you only need the mouse fix)

*DSDT Patches: Patch DSDT with NewHPET (force compile)

*AppleSMBIOS Patch: AppleSMBIOSEFI

*Applications: select all of them except for Marvin's AMD Utility and Zephyroth's Utilities (theyre AMD-related so not needed)...this section is really mostly up to what you want to do but definitely keep Pacifist and it may come in handy and keep NTFS 3-G + MacFUSE, which allows you to open up Windows formatted drives, given that they were properly ejected)

Now I have not tried to update to 10.5.8 as of yet, because there really is nothing new in that update that suits me, and I do not want to take any chances in breaking my install. If you prefer to update to the next level there are several posts that explain how to do that on the forum.

(Originally posted by acmilancrazy, edited by fairlyodd)

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2
CPU : AMD Athlon II X4 645, 3.11 GHz
RAM : 4GB Crucial PC3/16000 DDR3
GPU : nVidia Geforce 210 1 Gig Full Hardware Acceleration
Sound : Onboard Audio Realtek ALC887
LAN: Sonnet Gigabit PCIe Ethernet Controller
Monitor : Acer S231HL 24" Wide Screen 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Htz
USB: Keyboard/Microsoft Confort Curve 2000 - Mouse/Logitech M185
Bluetooth: Apple Magic Tracpad/ DLink DBT 122 Bluetooth Dongle

Last edited by fairlyodd; 05-30-2010 at 01:45 PM.