View Single Post

Old 11-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Cheetah

LawlessPPC 10.5.4 on a GA-MA78GM-S2H - nearly perfect!

Hi folks,

after trying mayn releases for my very first Hackintosh I found the LawlessPPC 10.5.4 release and am very pleased to report that it works right out of the box with my setup. So I thought, I selfishly share my experience with you here.

Setup:
AMD X2-3600EE
GA-MA78GM-S2H
2GB-Corsair PC800-CL4 XMS
SAMSUNG HM160HI (2,5" SATA 160GB Single platter)
Zalman CNPS7000C-Cu (very noisy even volted down @800rpm -.-')
Corsair 450W PSU
HL-DT-STDVD-ROM GDRH20N (SATA)

Installation:
Formating the drive with Disk utility was no problem.
Only main system package was selected for installation - all other options including drivers and add. languages were deselected.

Bios:
I disabled everything useless like LPT ports or serial ports, and only kept the essentialy. I don't need most of that on my machine anyway.

Drives:
All drives with ACPI on booted the DVD flawlessly, and provides fast transfer rates without the need for a kext file for the chipset. (See XBench results further down below.)

Ethernet:
Worked out of the box. I use DHCP for my network.

Audio:
Needed some kexts from insanelymac to work (889a.Audio.ICH10) but even provides 5.1 sound now. Cool.

Graphics:
Sadly no support for the 3200IGP from the chipset. Nevertheless, softwarerendering feels even fast and more responsive then on my MacMiniPPC.
Gonna try a HD2600XT soon, but using the onboard IGP would be very nice. It would turn the machine into a energy saving home theater PC...

Dual Cores:
MenuMeters shows both cores active and working like a cham. I truly didn't expected this so just great.

USB & Firewire:
Both work.

Updates:
All updates offered by apple do install after patched by AMD Patcher 0.2 with the exception down below.

What does not work:
- Toast Titanium 9.0.2 (just crashes)
- CHUD Tools (installation causes a Kernel panic)
- 10.5.5 does install but makes the machine unbootable (well, happens) AMD Patcher 0.2 does patch successfully but does not change the outcome.

That's it so far. I added my benchmarks further down below for comparisons sake.

Thank you all for your dedication, support and all the hard work you put into this. It helps a lot and makes our lifes more cool to boot!

Please keep up the great work!

If anybody want some more infos just ask
Attached Files
File Type: txt X2_3600EE2GB.txt (1.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: zip 889a.Audio.ICH10.zip (339.6 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by shibirian; 11-03-2008 at 03:56 PM.