View Single Post

Old 06-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Puma

Quote:
Originally Posted by naquaada View Post
And use some good thermal grease, I'm using Arctic Silver 5. I only apply one pea-sized drop in the center of the cpu and some small drops in a circle around it. While mounting the cooler I twist it a bit on the cpu, so the grease will become only a very thin layer. But beware: This stuff is sticky as hell. It needs some cleaning sessions for cpu and fan, even when using isopropyle alcohole. If you hate someone, press him a tube Artic Silver 5 in the inner pocket of his jacket. He NEVER gets out everything

My gfx cards are all passive, so they should produce more heat, but it doesn't seem to be problematic.
That's actually the wrong technique to use for applying thermal paste. You're using too much. Barely more than the size of a grain of rice is what Arctic recommends. Any more and it may squeeze out beyond the CPU package. I use the recommended amount and it covers the whole CPU once it's compressed. Multiple spots are also not recommended as they could leave trapped air in bubbles between them. One spot in the middle will spread out by itself.

Passive graphics cards don't produce more heat. It's the same amount of heat as any other card using the same chipset, just not removed from the card as quickly and efficiently.

Gigabyte EP35-DS3R | Q6600 | 8GB | Asus EN8600GT
Vanilla kernel | iPC 10.5.6