View Single Post

Old 02-24-2010, 12:06 AM
Puma

You posted your initial query yesterday at 5:49 PM (US Eastern time), then started griping about the lack of responses at 8:55 PM the same day, just three hours and six minutes later. The fact is that this is not a tech support line; it's a Web forum for individuals, many of whom have better things to do than to check it on an hourly basis, so it's quite common for a post to go without a reply for hours or even days. Your level of patience must be on the same order of magnitude.

I don't have a complete answer to your question; however, I do know this:
  • There were third-party kernels for the 10.5.x version of OS X that did on-the-fly patching of binaries for CPU compatibility, so that you could run unpatched binaries on AMD CPUs. To the best of my knowledge, though, there's no such kernel for OS X 10.6.x. Many programs will run fine without patching, but some will need to be patched.
  • You can boot without patching, and even run many programs, so you shouldn't need to boot another system just to run the patching utility.
  • AFAIK, CPU patching is not dependent on the OS version. The patching is done to change binary code in the programs themselves for compatibility with the CPU you're using. The OS version just doesn't enter into the equation, at least assuming the binary is compatible with both OS versions. (Some older programs are known not to run with newer OS X versions, and vice-versa.)
  • IIRC, Hazard ships with a patching utility. It worked for me. Please be more precise in your problem report -- what do you mean when you say "I can't get the AMD software patch utility to run"? Does an error message pop up when you try to run it? If so, what does it say? Does the program start to run and then crash? Does nothing happen when you double-click it? What happens when you try to run it from a Terminal program by typing its name?