View Single Post

Old 09-13-2010, 08:56 PM

I've tried to force the app (/Applications/Dashboard.app and also /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources/DashboardClient.app) to run in 32bit but it always opens in 64bit, no matter what.

This is the output to file <path> from 2 of thoes problematic widgets:

Code:
.../Currency Converter.wdgt/RoundPlugin.widgetplugin/Contents/MacOS/RoundPlugin: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
.../Currency Converter.wdgt/RoundPlugin.widgetplugin/Contents/MacOS/RoundPlugin (for architecture ppc):	Mach-O bundle ppc
.../Currency Converter.wdgt/RoundPlugin.widgetplugin/Contents/MacOS/RoundPlugin (for architecture i386):	Mach-O bundle i386

.../TunesTEXT.wdgt/TunesTEXTPlugin.widgetplugin/Contents/MacOS/TunesTEXTPlugin: Mach-O universal binary with 2 architectures
.../TunesTEXT.wdgt/TunesTEXTPlugin.widgetplugin/Contents/MacOS/TunesTEXTPlugin (for architecture i386):	Mach-O bundle i386
.../TunesTEXT.wdgt/TunesTEXTPlugin.widgetplugin/Contents/MacOS/TunesTEXTPlugin (for architecture ppc):	Mach-O bundle ppc
So, the problem seems to be related to dashboard running only in 64bit and trying to open 32bit widgets. I'll try to slim the dashboard binaries to 32bit only and check again.
Thank you guys for your help, what a great community.

EDIT: could it be that this is the binary that loads the widgets? And as I cannot simply set it to 32bit in the info panel I've never tested it in 32bit.

Code:
file /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DashboardClient.framework/Versions/A/DashboardClient 
DashboardClient: Mach-O universal binary with 3 architectures
DashboardClient (for architecture x86_64):	Mach-O 64-bit dynamically linked shared library x86_64
/DashboardClient (for architecture i386):	Mach-O dynamically linked shared library i386
/DashboardClient (for architecture ppc7400):	Mach-O dynamically linked shared library ppc

EDIT #2: As expected, it was the DashboardClient.app (System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app/Contents/Resources) that was causing all the troubles. The shady thing is that it won't run in 32bit (with the info check) unless I delete the 64bit arch from the binary. Well it's all right now, and again, thank you all for your help and happy 64bit!!!

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ @2.3Ghz - Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI nForce4 SLI - nForceLAN by eno - SuperNForceATA by Medevil - RAM:2 GB DDR 333Mhz Audio: ALC850 Video: XFX nVidia GeForce 8400GS 256Mb (0x06e4) QE & CI from Chameleon 2 RC4Ethernet: Realtek RTL 8139 Series (working out of the box) OS: Snow Leopard 10.6.4 (aryajuanda's guide) + Windows XP 64bits

Last edited by eMatoS; 09-13-2010 at 09:38 PM.