View Single Post

Old 03-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Jaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by uman View Post
I presume it has to be a bootable partition?
Yes.

Quote:
Current drive? I don't understand why I would install Chameleon to the old drive. Are you assuming that I would copy over the Leo installation to the new drive? I don't want to do that because it was a hacked up iPC install, not retail at all.
Actually, I was suggesting you to use your current drive as Snow Leo installation media. Of course I meant installing Snow Leo to new drive. Install Snow Leo is easy but to be able to boot Snow Leo (after install) you will require patched kexts. Meaning, if I were you, I will prepare EFI/Boot-132 partition for Snow Leo before installing Snow Leo.

I have external drive (80GB) which I use as installation media, where it have 3 partition; first partition is a FAT32 partition for data only, second partition is a Boot-132 partition (origin was Boot-132 USB) and third partition is where I restore retail DVD. Second partition is set to bootable. Boot-132 partition using Chameleon 2 RC2 & upgraded to Chameleon 2 RC4+PC EFI 10.6. This external drive can be consider as my "universal" installer where I can use it to install Leo or Snow Leo.

Quote:
When the SL installer runs, it will allow installation to a USB external (my new) drive?
Looks like SL installer different than Leo installer. I can select partition when launching the installer manually.

Quote:
I've heard some people are having trouble with Cham RC4. Do you think it's worth trying out?
I think it worth to try. If it not working for you, just replace the "boot" with working one (RC3 or PC EFI 10.6).

I use Chameleon 2 RC2 installer to install chameleon to EFI partition & replaced "boot" file with "boot" file from RC4 package.

Quote:
BTW, thanks for all your help! Also, does your Acer have ICH7? I spent some time verifying some DSDT fixes in the ACPI Programmer's Guide and the ICH7 Datasheet. I will try them out when I get SL running, and then post in the DSDT sub-forum.
My acer 9420 have ICH7. FYI, my wireless working after sleep. I think it fixed by updating IONetworkingFamily.kext in EFI partition with 10.6.2 version. I also change to plist only for my dell wireless (broadcom device id 4315).

I also played with DSDT & made several changes:-
- Remove USB2.0 entry to make it seen as external device. This to enable sleep.
- Sleep when LID close.
- Change NVCAP value for GeForce Go 7300 to enable dual-screen.
- Change ConfigData for ALC883 to enable internal mic, hence enabling external mic.

kizwan

1) Retail Mac OS X 10.6 ** Acer Aspire 9420 Intel C2D T5600 ** 4GB DDR2 ** NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 128MB ** Dell Wireless 1395 (rebrand to AirPort Extreme) ** ALC883
2) Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit ** Dell Studio 1557 Intel Core i7 720QM ** 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz ** ATI HD4570 512MB ** Intel WiFi 5300 ** Seagate Momentus 5400.6 SATA 3Gb/s 320-GB Hard Drive 5400RPM ** WLED 1366x768 15.6"
3) Retail Mac OS X 10.5.6 + Vista Ultimate ** Acer Aspire 3680 Intel Celeron M 440
** Linksys WPC54G v3.1 ** ALC883

Last edited by kizwan; 03-01-2010 at 07:58 PM.