View Single Post

Old 10-12-2009, 12:56 PM

SSE2/SSE3 - 32/64 Bit Kernel for Snow Leopard by qoopz! [Intel/AMD]

Quote:
Thats right folks. Its about time that most of guys waited for a SSE2 Kernel for both AMD and Intel. well this is it , qoopz and the great team behind have done most of the work to get the ball rolling , that is to get SSE2 support for Snow Leopard working and as well as AMD support. Not to mention that this kernel supports 64-bit for AMD processors and Intel processors with AMD64 and Intel’s EM64T. It makes it possible to run 64-bit applications. Plus this kernel also supports Intel i5 processors However keep in mind that this kernel will not run in pure 64-bit kernelspace. Doesn’t make sense to you ?. I’ll explain in a jiffy – but first credit goes to qoopz for coming up with the kernel !

So what the hell are you trying to say – At first you said 64-bit but now you are saying its not…Please do explain

It means that the kernel will work in 32-bit. You don’t get pure 64-bit mode , as in your hardware drivers would be in 32-bit. However programs would take advantage of 64-bit mode and run natively in 64-bit if its capable of doing so. However be warned that 64-bit support is bit flaky due to the fact that these older processors lack SSSE3. For AMD systems , you’ll notice that some programs will crash with 64-bit. As for Intel , you’ll notice that QuickTime X will fail to play H.264 movies with 64-bit turned on. These are known issues. 64-bit support is disabled by default due to these reasons. To enable 64-bit , simply boot with “-force64″ (without quotes) to test out 64-bit functionalitly. AMD users with SSE2 and AMD64 should not attempt to run programs in 64-bit as its way to slow and it can cause lots of hiccups (hangs , kernel panic and such).
Features of the Kernel :-

* Bulit-in kernel blacklister – automatically blacklists bad kexts from loading. Therefore you don’t need to use a disabler to disable it manually
* bigger dmesg – Which translates to a larger log file so that you can troubleshoot easily
* uuid patching/fix – Eliminates the need of UUID kext or specifying manually
* fsb detection – Do I’ve to say more on this
* cpu cache detection – Again , I don’t have to explain on this
* reboot fix – Eliminates the need of OpenHaltRestart and fixes shutdown/reboot issue
* sse3emu -SSE3 emulator for SSE2 processors . Bear in mind that most of the applications in Snow Leopard run fine with this emulator. However there are some reports of Safari and certain applications that may crash or behave weirdly. It will not be enabled if you have SSE3

For AMD users , it doesn’t include on the fly CPUID patching – which means that you’ll have to patch your CPUIDs manually by using a third party tool. You could read more about this in my Snow Leopard guide and in other AMD for Snow leopard installation guide.

Original Link (Rapidshare)
Mirror Link #1 (uploadpla.net)
Mirror Link #2 (crimsy)
Mirror Link #3 (MediaFire)

Installation - To install simply rename your old mach_kernel as mach_backup and rename this as mach_kernel . If you’re planning to install Snow Leopard. Do follow my installation guide as I’ve updated it to reflect SSE2 changes or you may follow other guides ! Please do not forget to read the readme to know more details about this kernel

Source Code - The source code (.dff) will be given upon request only. You may contact me directly via e-mail if you want the source.

Kernel Name – Some of you may ask why the kernel is named as “anappirtrvh” . which means thx to: azi, nevermind, arya, prasys, p|astikman, inku, roisoft, tomas, radekg, Voodoo, and HiFi the slow tester. – Which is the first name of the beta testers who helped to test the kernel

I would like to take this opportuntity to thank qoopz for releasing the kernel for the SSE2 AMD/Intel user community out there. without him , we would be still in darkness and I am guessing he is the guy that would get the ball rolling.

Source

Mac Inspiron 531 » 10.6.8 • 10.8.0 Legacy Kernel • AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (2.60GHz)
Dell M2N61-AX/nForce 430/MCP61 • 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 667MHz
ALC888 • nVidia GeForce 8600 GT 256 MB
2 x WDC WD5000AAKS 500 GB SATA HDD

Last edited by pαuℓzurrr.; 10-12-2009 at 01:11 PM.