View Single Post

Old 03-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Puma

No Hackintosh will be as reliable and easy to use as a true Macintosh. At best, it'll work as well as (or perhaps even better than, in some respects) a real Mac, but there will always be the potential for software upgrades to completely hose the system, and in most cases there's a steep learning curve to get it installed in the first place. You may get it 90% working without too much trouble, but then you'll have issues getting that final 10% (WiFi, optimum graphics, getting sleep working, etc.). Thus, if you've got the extra cash and want something that Just Works, buy the real Mac. If not, either abandon plans to run OS X or plan to spend many hours researching and debugging.

As to your specific system, it probably uses a recent enough Intel video chipset that you won't get optimum video performance -- it'll be missing QE/CI support, which means that some advanced games and video players won't work with it. AFAIK, this is true of the vast majority of current commodity laptops. My understanding is that Apple has switched to nVidia graphics on its recent models, so the current line of Intel graphics chipsets may never be fully supported. WiFi issues can be worked around via a USB WiFi dongle, so I wouldn't worry too much about them just yet.

If Empire EFI doesn't work, you could try a distribution, such as the iAtkos that 00010 suggests; however, iAtkos is a 10.5.x distribution. There's a 10.6.x distribution floating around under the name "Hazard," and I think there are one or two other 10.6.x distributions, but there are nowhere near the number of 10.6.x distributions that there were of 10.5.x distributions.