View Single Post

Old 07-18-2011, 01:59 AM
Jaguar

What could cause the HFS+ partition to corrupt?

Hey all,

Had to rebuild the hackintosh partition (by reinstalling everything) from scratch because the partition got corrupted. I'd get errors at boot because chameleon could no longer load.

My question is: what would have caused the corruption? Instead of a HFS+ partition, Disk Utility now saw the partition as Windows NTFS (with all other info being blank). However, looking inside the parition with Macdrive, all the folders and contents were in fact intact and untouched. So my only conclusion was that the partition table was no longer reporting the correct file system used on the 2nd partition anymore.

The only action I did preceding the corruption was changing the active partition from 2 (the hackintosh) to 1 (the windows installation) in Windows Disk Management. Repeated the same action a second time (but this time with Diskpart) as a test to see if it would do it again and it did.

But the question remains: what could have caused the corruption? On my old hackintosh, I could change active partitions at any time (from 2 to 1), without any sort of corruption. Why is changing the active status of the partition now causing the hackintosh partition to break by no longer appearing as a HFS+ partition? Anyone else see this happen?