View Single Post

Old 10-27-2008, 11:03 PM

So, I created a well looking Leo4All v3 image for USB. This installation image is older but in my opinion Leo4All v3 is the best image I ever had (of more than 25 since Tiger). If someone is interested, I have uploaded it to rapidshare, but without the main Leopard-10.5.2 install package, this must be copied from DVD. So it needs so 'only' about 980 MB and is faster to download.

Specs: Booting time (after Darwin counter timeout till language selection screen): 41 secs, installation time: 8:30 mins after the driver selection. This is on an Athlon 64 4000+, faster computers may be quicker because the files can be faster decompressed.

I used for this an 8 GB USB stick and created a partition of 4,25 GB, the resulting partition will be 4,38 GB (4.697.620.480 bytes) so that it still fits on a DVD (4.698.669.056 bytes). The other partition I use for Updates and software which I need for the installation. I optimized the image a bit, so you can access the usual folders (System, Library, Applications, Installation etc.) without tricks, but the image is not messed up, you only have two icons in the main window. The most important thing is that the image is defragmented. The main installation package was messed all over the disk, so I deleted it and cleaned the drive with iDefrag. Now the most important files, especcially Kernel and Extensions, are directly at the beginning. I made it bootable with Cameleon.

To create a bootable USB-Stick from it, create also on an stick with 8GB or more two partitions, the first must be 4,25 GB. Check the boot sector type for MBR mode. Now restore the image on the first partition, the image is already checked for restoring. The procedure will take about 1,5 hours. After this is successfully finished, insert the Leo4All installation DVD, open it an press Alt+Shift+G on a Windows keyboard or Command+Shift+G on an Mac keyboard. Now enter this path: System/Installation/Packages and press Return. Now search for the package Leopard-10.5.2.pkg. Copy it best first from DVD to your harddisk and then from harddisk to the USB stick. in the USB stick you don't need use use the path entry, you can access the files directly using the 'Leo4All' folder in the image. After this make the stick bootable with Chameleon. Note: If you have only a 4GB stick the space maybe not enough. So you have to delete some (for you) unneccessary languages to get more space.

Even if you don't want to use the Leo4All image you can use this guide to create an bootable installation stick with your own preferred OSx86 version. An installation image on USB is a great thing, no long waiting times, also the applications will be started much faster. And you can use it on the new netbooks which have no inbuilt DVD-ROM anymore.

Last edited by naquaada; 10-28-2008 at 07:15 AM.