View Single Post

Old 11-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Cheetah

OSx86 Random Issues: Mouse and Keyboard, etc.

Hello, I'm a new member here but I've been browsing these forums for quite some time. I absolutely love computers and I have since a being a child.

I wanted to try out the Mac OSx86 system and I finally got a computer capable of doing so. The long story short is that I have an HP Pavilion dv2125nr that refused to boot up despite reinstalling windows, but it happened to be that something in the BIOS was screwed up.

Computer Specs:
1.6 GHz AMD Turion™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Mobile Technology TL-50
2 X 256KB L2 Cache
1024MB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
2048MB
NVIDIA GeForce Go 6150 (UMA)
up to 128MB (shared)
120GB 5400RPM (SATA) HDD
LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±RW with Double Layer Support
14.1” WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
Integrated 10/100BASE-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
802.11b/g WLAN
Altec Lansing
Keyboard is 101-key compatible

2 Quick Launch Buttons (HP Quick Play Menu and DVD buttons)
Synaptics Touchpad

Nevertheless, I bought a new computer with is an Intel-based Sony VAIO NS130E and now I have the HP to play around with now that it will boot up.

Before I bought the actually Mac OS X, I wanted to play around with the installation so I used the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD Intel_Amd (sse2/sse3) EFI V8. After installing it incorrectly a few times, there was this one past time where I installed it and actually got the OS to run flawlessly aside from sound issues. At the time, I had to go somewhere and didn't want to leave the computer running (and assumed that the sleep command was not going to function properly) so I shut it down. Lo and behold, the thing doesn't want to come back on.

I find it extremely odd that even when you input the exact same boot commands every time, you never get the same result. So I figured that you have to just type in and try random commands. Darwin will not boot the computer properly without me manually hitting "Esc" in the computer's BIOS and selecting the drive I want to boot from. I see videos of people's computers running OS X perfectly with just allowing Darwin x86 to do its thing, but mine is not performing so well.

Usually typing in "sleepkernel rd=disk0s1 -f of -v" will get it to work, but it requires tons of restarts because I still get the "still waiting on root device" thing until it will finally work. Now when it finally boots up, there's no mouse or keyboard recognized and I have no clue why. I cannot plug in a USB mouse or keyboard and input into the machine so it just sits there. I even tried reinstalling it to no avail and the "root device" thing is driving me nuts. Even sometimes when the boot disk is actually recognized, the Darwin codes that display before the OS actually starts just freeze there and stop collecting. How can you input the same thing and computer do two completely different things each time?

And does anyone know about the mouse issue? I think my Intel based VAIO is a better candidate, but with these little bugs working their way around in my HP, I'm just weary about paying a hundred bucks for the Mac OS X and having a ton of problems, but as soon as I can get these worked out, I'll run and get it. The operating system is as intriguing (the last Mac OS system I was good at using was Mac OS 7 on a Power Mac 5200 LC) as I can remember, and I just want to be able to use it properly.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to explain as much as possible lol.

Thanks
-Bryan