View Single Post

Old 06-25-2009, 01:47 AM
Jaguar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyn1x View Post
OS X only creates the hidden EFI partition when formatting a disk as GUID.

I'm sorry but that is very bad advice. We should be encouraging people to move away from the 'old way' of prepatched distros. When I was running retail on my old AMD hack, being able to update using ASU was a dream come true. Common threads like 'How do I update to 10.5.7' and 'Which distro should I use' would become a thing of the past.

As kexts (and the voodoo kernel in this instance) are separated from the system, software update can safely be used, because they don't get overwritten unlike when using distros.
For the EFI/GUID thing: that's good to know. I wasn't sure, thanks for clarifying.

I get what you're saying about retail installs and I totally agree with you. I was just saying... I tried for months to get the boot 132 cd method to work and only managed an install once, which promptly kp'd every time i tried to boot. I know I was missing something, but I really just got frustrated and gave up. Now I have an iPC install with chameleon 2 and i'm contemplating throwing all of my non-apple kexts in the extras folder. But i'd be willing to give the retail install another try if anybody could help me figure out what goes with my hardware, cuz i could never figure what i was missing. More than likely though i'll probably sell this rig with windows on it and do a build with a more OS X complaint motherboard. But, not to hijack this thread with my stuff. Carry on...

~ Snow Leopard Retail w/Empire EFI ~ MSI X58 Platinum SLI ~ Intel Core i7 920 3.2GHz ~
~ Galaxy GTX 260 896mb ~ OCZ 6GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM ~ 500GB Hitachi SATA ~ Sony Optiarc DVD-RW ~