View Single Post

Old 07-05-2010, 06:14 AM
Puma

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephens View Post
Just an update on my d830 (Bios A15) with the Intel x3100 and a 1920x1200 screen. This is running a Snow Leopard 10.6.2 Vanilla kernel and Chameleon 2.0 RC4.

I've got almost everything working, some without kexts even. This is possibly one of the nicest laptops to use with Snow Leopard
  • Sleep, by power button or clamshell close, works -- natively, no kext. When you open the display, it wakes perfectly.
  • Restart and Halt work exactly as they should -- using OpenHaltRestart.kext, but will test without
  • P and C states work when on battery, battery life goes to 3.5 hours immediately and openssl speed tests confirm a seriously degraded performance, ha! No NullCPUPowerManagement.kext required.
  • Audio works using the legacy9205.kext, including headphone out, line in, built-in Mic
  • PS2 keyboard/trackpad/trackpoint all work beautifully using the ApplePS2Controller.kext and AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext (must reside in /S/L/E)
  • Display dimming works not only with the Fn keys, but also with the slider under Display Properties
  • Battery display works using AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext
  • gigabit ethernet works, including WOL using AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext
  • Bluetooth works natively
  • Volume up/down/mute work natively, as does the power button for sleep
  • I flashed a Dell 1390 (BCM4311) and also a BCM4328 with Apple Device IDs so now it recognizes either as an Airport Extreme.

I'm still having issues with the rear CRT port.. if I press Fn-F8 to switch from the internal LCD to mirror to CRT, it scrambles the video and I can't fix it. Perhaps setting up a hot corner for 'sleep' would do the trick, but I think a simple display re-init in the DSDT if I can find what function governs that flip back and forth would also do the trick. Feel free to contribute here...

The only other thing I can think of is migrating everything to 64 bit, but that shouldn't be hard. The only device drivers I'm using are the Broadcom ethernet, PS2 keyboard/mouse and legacySTAC9205. The rest should be fine, but I'll test soon enough anyway.

So, how to do all this?

SERIOUS DSDT modifications. I'm going to attach my current DSDT for others to use, but do NOT take it thinking that it will 'just work' on your laptop. You'll need to have a Latitude D830 with Bios Revision A15, x3100 (965 chipset) video, and a 1920x1200 panel.. otherwise, I can't guarantee *anything*.

P.S. When I say SERIOUSLY modified, I'm not joking. I have added and removed devices, hacked up IRQs, put in different OSID checks, changed device names, timers, and even IDs. Do not take this as a panacea for all your laptop compatibility woes, but do take it as proof that you can get very close to native operative performance with just about any laptop if you are persistent enough and willing to read ACPI specs. No really, go get the document to read about what you don't understand BEFORE asking questions.

P.P.S. I also am using a custom /boot file. I'll include that as well. PC-EFI 10.6 does NOT initialize the x3100 correctly!

P.P.P.S. Quick lists of kexts in /Extra/Extensions
Code:
AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext
AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext
IOATAFamily.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
fakesmc.kext
legacySTAC9205.kext
And in /System/Library/Extensions:
Code:
AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
ApplePS2Controller.kext
And my /Extra/smbios.plist file:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>SMbiosdate</key>
	<string>20/09/2009</string>
	<key>SMbiosversion</key>
	<string>MB31.008E.B02</string>
	<key>SMexternalclock</key>
	<string>200</string>
	<key>SMfamily</key>
	<string>MacBook</string>
	<key>SMmanufacter</key>
	<string>Apple</string>
	<key>SMmaximalclock</key>
	<string>2000</string>
	<key>SMmemspeed</key>
	<string>667</string>
	<key>SMmemtype</key>
	<string>19</string>
	<key>SMproductname</key>
	<string>MacBook3,1</string>
	<key>SMserial</key>
	<string>G87399530P1</string>
	<key>SMsystemversion</key>
	<string>1.24f2</string>
</dict>
</plist>
And my /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist file:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>Boot Banner</key>
	<string>No</string>
        <key>DSDT</key>
        <string>/Extra/dsdt/dsdt-0.9.aml</string>
        <key>Default Partition</key>
        <string>hd(0,2)</string>
	<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>ForceWake</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
	<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	<string>Yes</string>
        <key>Graphics Mode</key>
        <string>1920x1200x32</string>
	<key>Hide Partition</key>
	<string></string>
	<key>Kernel</key>
	<string>mach_kernel</string>
	<key>Kernel Flags</key>
	<string>-f</string>
	<key>PciRoot</key>
	<string>0</string>
	<key>SMBIOS</key>
	<string>/Extra/smbios.plist</string>
	<key>Theme</key>
	<string>Default</string>
	<key>Timeout</key>
	<string>1</string>
	<key>arch</key>
	<string>i386</string>
        <key>BootQuiet</key>
        <string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

stephens,

I have the exact D830 except mine is a T9500 (2.6GHZ) and NVS Quadro 140M.

Shockingly I have a 100% working clone except for sleep and Ethernet. Only using fakesmc, appleACPIPS2 and Nub, smbios.plist, voodooHDA and nothing else. Speedstep is working but no C state.

I am using a M1330 Non CPU DSDT from this thread and yes surprisingly it works. I have read the graphics card 8400M in the XPS M1330 is the same as the NVS Quadro 140M which I believe is the 7300GT is I am not mistaken.

shutdown and restart is flawless. I am looking over your DSDT to see if I can somehow figure out what I need to do to modify my DSDT to get both the Ethernet and Sleep to work.

Here is the link if interested:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...owtopic=190780